Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Is there a law against world domination? ???  (Read 7318 times)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a law against world domination? ???
« on: April 14, 2010, 03:07:50 pm »

Well... If someone tried to take over the world, without murder, theft, or anything of the sort, could they be locked up for trying to take over the world?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a law against world domination? ???
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:10:51 pm »

No, but without blowing stuff up, shooting people, or other crimes against humanity, there's no real way to take over the world in the traditional fashion.  You could go the media/corporate route, but honestly there's no reason to push the limit when you can make millions of dollars holding the bar where it is.
Shoes...

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:11:03 pm »

...I'm more interested in why you want to know.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:14:28 pm »

Why are you interested? and its because I can't think of a single law that says "Don't attempt world domination." and most who try invariably do something horrible that makes people kill them. No-one ever seems to get mad that they try to take over the world, just that they hurt people doing it. just seems like the sort of thing there would be an specific law for.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:18:09 pm »

Why are you interested? and its because I can't think of a single law that says "Don't attempt world domination." and most who try invariably do something horrible that makes people kill them. No-one ever seems to get mad that they try to take over the world, just that they hurt people doing it. just seems like the sort of thing there would be an specific law for.

I wondering if you want to use this info. If its just a thing your curious about, thats okay. If you want to actually take over the world, then I must make sure I can do what I can to ensure a good place for me in the new world order.  :D
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:19:22 pm »

There's no law for "taking over the world" because it's too nebulous a concept.  Do you mean economic, military, political, what kind of world domination?
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 03:21:53 pm »

After you take over the world, don't forget to establish a law against taking over the world.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 03:21:57 pm »

There isn't really a way to take over the world without some sort of crime being committed, most notably treason against your country and then whatever you try doing to force people to obey you is going to have to be a crime.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:09 pm »

...Why in God's name would there be a specific law against something as monumental and indefinable as "World Domination"?  Who's going to charge you with it?  Who's going to enforce it?  How do you find a jury of peers for Doctor Evil?

In order to rule the world by really any means, you'd all have to break all kinds of world-straddling laws in the first place.  And even if you somehow got that far, nations would just go to war with you.  This whole conversations strikes me as a cartoon plot, with a make-believe court and crap.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 03:24:26 pm »

Remember the big memo leak of Citicorp saying they were above the law and were becoming a Plutonomy?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 03:25:24 pm »

The law would be impossible to enforce. If you fail to take over the world through legal means(not sure how you would even try...), then there would not really be any evidence that that was ever your goal, and if you succeed, well... you rule the world! The government that made the law would no longer exist.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 03:28:00 pm »

By world domination I mean there is no other power to oppose you. you're the only one left, probably due to bankrupting everyone else or something else not illegal in this case.
There isn't really a way to take over the world without some sort of crime being committed, most notably treason against your country and then whatever you try doing to force people to obey you is going to have to be a crime.
And if you lack citizenship to any country? you are aware that citizenship can be voluntarily given up right? at least as far as I know, of course without gaining citizenship in another country  you probably don't gain much. and if they obey you by being your employees?
...Why in God's name would there be a specific law against something as monumental and indefinable as "World Domination"?  Who's going to charge you with it?  Who's going to enforce it?  How do you find a jury of peers for Doctor Evil?

In order to rule the world by really any means, you'd all have to break all kinds of world-straddling laws in the first place.  And even if you somehow got that far, nations would just go to war with you.  This whole conversations strikes me as a cartoon plot, with a make-believe court and crap.
What world straddling laws are these? And if they go to war with you then you break out the completely legal private mercenary military and fight them back. killing during war is ,as far as I know, legal.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 03:28:48 pm »

If you have ever read a book, seen a movie, or played a game, you'd learn very quickly world domination will be overthrown by a small group of rag-tag rebels!

Unless, of course, you're playing risk. Then you only have to keep an eye on Australia.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 03:30:06 pm »

If you have ever read a book, seen a movie, or played a game, you'd learn very quickly world domination will be overthrown by a small group of rag-tag rebels!

Unless, of course, you're playing risk. Then you only have to keep an eye on Australia.
What about the seemingly world spanning good kingdom? how did they get there without taking over the world?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 03:33:19 pm »

And if you lack citizenship to any country? you are aware that citizenship can be voluntarily given up right? at least as far as I know, of course without gaining citizenship in another country  you probably don't gain much. and if they obey you by being your employees?

Crimes against humanity/other world-spanning crimes aren't tried on a national level, they're tried at a national court like The Hague or Geneva or whatever.  You know, the kind of crimes you have to commit in order to take over the world.

And also, what do you mean no other powers?  This isn't Risk, you can't just assume control of every government and that's it.

Ninja edit:  There are no good kingdoms.  They all got there the same way, subjugation.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6