Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Plump helmet man, you are mine now!  (Read 67339 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Plump helmet man, you are mine now!
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2010, 03:23:21 pm »

I just added the D for Dwarf...thing to the Plump Helmet Man page. Would someone mind telling me if it fits the usual format? I don't do wiki work that often, aside from correcting grammar on occasion.
Here's an image we can possibly use for describing them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2010, 03:27:27 pm »

This thread made me think Mario and Luigi were just adventurers with modified jump raws.
The mushroom is the plump helmet.
The star is magma.
Bowser is an elf in disguise.

...My childhood was ruined once again, yet in the best way imaginable. I love you guys.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2010, 03:30:19 pm »

Here's an image we can possibly use for describing them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't add the funny, just the label of "funny".
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:48:09 am by Organum »
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2010, 05:29:21 pm »

This is what I thought they looked like

do they actually have heads, though?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2010, 05:32:06 pm »

I have yet to see plump helmet men. I'll have to keep an eye out for them now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Soy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2010, 06:05:29 pm »

Well, if anything's equipped to break down fungi, it'd be another fungus.

Though I remember some discussion of the idea of mushroom wine IRL...  Something about HFS being mentioned.

As it is, one does need to make up a "mash" in order to get the stuff to distill, so the plump helmet man being made into a mash makes sense at least.  And given their bizarre anatomy, being semi-aware of one's surroundings while in such a discombobulated state isn't too far fetched.

Mashing isn't necessary for all brewing. The reason you mash grain to brew it is to convert the starches into fermentable sugars (it's more complicated than that, see http://brewwiki.com/index.php/Mashing for more details). If you are fermenting something with a high enough concentration of natural sugars, eg: apple cider, you don't mash at all.
For what it's worth, home-brewing is a fun, fascinating subject and I would recommend giving it a try to anyone.  :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:49:26 pm by Soy »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:54 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:10:56 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2010, 12:34:52 am »

Speaking of mushroom wine, this seems relevant.

Hah, I think I ran into that once.

Does anyone understand why brewing mushrooms is so hard to begin with?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2010, 12:39:43 am »

Well brewing involves yeast breaking down natural sugars into alcohol, until you get to about 15%, then there is too much alcohol for them to live and they die off, so anything higher then 15% is distilled.

BUT I don't think fungi produce sugars do they? So as mushrooms are a fungi, there are no sugars in them to make into alcohol.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2010, 12:42:06 am »

Well brewing involves yeast breaking down natural sugars into alcohol, until you get to about 15%, then there is too much alcohol for them to live and they die off, so anything higher then 15% is distilled.

BUT I don't think fungi produce sugars do they? So as mushrooms are a fungi, there are no sugars in them to make into alcohol.

That makes sense... I suppose the closest I could settle for would be genetically engineered mold-wine.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2010, 12:55:57 am »

That makes sense... I suppose the closest I could settle for would be genetically engineered mold-wine.

Well you can do what they did while making mushroom wine and add some sugar yourself, but then you have bacteria and fungi in the same tub, with what looks to them to be an infantile energy source, complete with anything else that got trapped in the barrel.

Yes, there is a chance you will be brewing pure poison, that's why the recipe is so complicated, to try and prevent that.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2010, 02:14:23 am »

I wonder what Toady thinks when he sees stuff like this. Does he take a more detached, scientific view of it, just focusing on the code? Does he share our sense of humor, delighting in the strange and macabre things we can do?

Or does he spend hours every day huddled in a corner, clutching his knees and sobbing "Why?! Why would they do that to the kittens?"
Well Toady is the one who put edible plump helmet men in the game in the first place. ::)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2010, 02:52:14 am »

I wonder what Toady thinks when he sees stuff like this. Does he take a more detached, scientific view of it, just focusing on the code? Does he share our sense of humor, delighting in the strange and macabre things we can do?

Or does he spend hours every day huddled in a corner, clutching his knees and sobbing "Why?! Why would they do that to the kittens?"
Well Toady is the one who put edible plump helmet men in the game in the first place. ::)
I know. But some part of me, despite all evidence, still clings to the belief that Toady love kittens, thinks mermaids and unicorns are beautiful creatures, planned nothing more than to design a traditional lighthearted fantasy universe inspired by  Snow White, and is continuously traumatized by what can only be described as our Vogonesque treatment of the result.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2010, 02:53:24 am »

I know. But some part of me, despite all evidence, still clings to the belief that Toady love kittens, thinks mermaids and unicorns are beautiful creatures, planned nothing more than to design a traditional lighthearted fantasy universe inspired by  Snow White, and is continuously traumatized by what can only be described as our Vogonesque treatment of the result.
Nah, he's a TRUE DORF WHO EATS MAGMA AND ELVES FOR SNACKS
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2010, 02:59:12 am »

Good god! Hes delirious!
20 Urists of alcohol, stat!

Makes you wonder, why do we use the term Urist for EVERY unit of measurement?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11