Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sprint ability  (Read 4249 times)

Axehilt_VuP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sprint ability
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:28:00 am »

Currently it's fairly silly to watch a dwarf chase an opponent around the map, and spend a huge amount of time before a fight actually ensues.

It seems like a limited-use Sprint ability should be used by Dwarves (automatically; similar to how Martial Trance seems to kick in.)  This would be a temporary speed boost to allow a dwarf to catch and attack their target - perhaps causing a 'dazed' effect which slows the target's movement for a period of time.

The main point being that melee units in the game should have a method for quickly closing on their target and keeping within melee range.  I don't mind seeing chasing happen sometimes, but it seems far too frequent that dwarves just chase things around the wilderness for prolonged periods of time.

As a limited-use ability, I imagine this would also improve the tactical depth of Adventure Mode (although I personally haven't tried that mode yet to know how combat plays out.)

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
Re: Sprint ability
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 10:36:00 am »

And maybe your dwarves (and you in Adventure mode) could trip on loose rocks and items on the ground while sprinting, as another poster suggested on another thread
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Axehilt_VuP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »

Eh?  What's heroic or fun about tripping?

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »

It's funny to see a triple legendary fall flat on his face in the mud, thats whats fun :P

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

Yeah, that would be a barrel of laughter alright:

"Your legendary swordsdwarf trips and impales himself with his weapon in the process"

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

It would stop you from over doing it.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

ABC is feeling miserable. He tripped and impaled himself on his own spear recently.
-

Joking aside, I like this suggestion, most of my military chases creatures around the screen.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

Sprinting and running could come at the expense of being tiring and narrowing your focus, as well.

Axehilt_VuP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fishersalwaysdie:
<STRONG>It would stop you from over doing it.</STRONG>

If a limiter is necessary on how frequently dwarves can use this ability, it's not going to be something stupid like tripping.

As I originally said, limited use.  That means a cooldown before a dwarf can use it again, which is a natural limiter.

In Dwarf Mode, Sprint would occur automatically.  If a dwarf has chased a mob a certain distance (say, 10 squares) and his Sprint cooldown is ready, he uses it and sprints to his target.  Unlike Martial Trance, Sprint shouldn't pop up as an "status message", since it will happen fairly often.  However it does seem reasonable to let the player know the effect is occurring - so perhaps a visual effect could occur (have the dwarf flash in a certain way.)

I have no clue how often you chase mobs in Adventure mode - or if you chase them at all.  But obviously in that mode you'd have control over when you activate Sprint, it'd have a cooldown before you could use it again.  Having never played Adventure I'm not qualified to say how often it should be usable - if it's even needed at all (it might not be.)

Gibby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 06:44:00 pm »

It shouldn't have a cooldown, it should simply make you Winded and Tired with overuse. Both effects already exist. And tripping seem like a reasonable penalty for running full out in a dark cave after some goblin.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 12:06:00 am »

Attaching a running skill to this would be nice; dwarves/adventurers that use it often get shorter cooldowns/longer times for use, and trip less in bad floor/light conditions.
A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

For that matter, just making creatures run out of breath would solve the endless chases--eventually, either the target escapes or the pursuer catches up.

A running skill is kind of ridiculous, IMO.  Most dwarves wouldn't do any running except in emergencies, so their skill would be near zero and they'd run really slowly in emergencies, which will probably kill them.  (The same problem applies to a swimming skill, incidentally.)  This isn't fun, and isn't even realistic, as most of them get plenty of exercise in their work.  The Agile trait adequately covers running speed, and doesn't have to be trained separately.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 02:49:00 am »

quote:
I have no clue how often you chase mobs in Adventure mode - or if you chase them at all.  

Most creatures within viewing range will come and attack you, so its usually running OUT. Plus you can throw things in adventure mode, usually breaking an arm or a leg which WILL eventually bring the target down. SO its unneeded there.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 07:39:00 am »

I think this is a bloat, somewhere.  The idea is that you move two tiles for every move, but you're more likely to run into things (Something to that effect, anyways).  I can't remember the specifics, right now, but it's somewhere in the bloat list, if you feel like looking.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 08:02:00 am »

Hi!

I may have missed something, but I never had the feeling dwarf fortress was about heroism. I mean, if you want your big bad hero, just get some commercial ego shooter or something, cheat-patch it and you are ready to go.

Dwarf fortress seems to be much more living from its great play depth, its intricate world design with the many,many interesting details for the player to discover. It is the "Cool! I never though this could happen!" experience that really brightens a player's day, isn't it? Like when you see a cool engraving, or when your dwarves by accident make a useful artifact (does happen, the RNG messes up occasionally :) :) :) ). There is always something new to try out, always an idea for a new way of doing things.

So, I think tripping and being humiliated should come with sprinting - unless you are running in broad daylight on a smooth road - in other words, when you are sprinting at some sports event. Anything else- there is rough terrain, undergrowth, and those pesky critters drawing away your attention. It is only natural to assume that you may trip if you are not careful.

Deathworks

Pages: [1] 2