Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are the boards broken for everyone else???  (Read 1119 times)

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are the boards broken for everyone else???
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:11:03 am »

I have to keep hitting F5 and 9 times out of 10 the pages on the boards only half load.
has there been some change made to the server in the last day or 2?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Are the boards broken for everyone else???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:13:16 am »

No?
Are you sure you didn't cap out your internet and your ISP put you back to dial up speed?

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 06:21:08 am »

No?
Are you sure you didn't cap out your internet and your ISP put you back to dial up speed?

certain.
I've had this problem from home on my laptop through a DSL connection, at my girlfriends  on her laptop through a wireless dongle and now pages still aren't loading and I'm on a lab machine in my university.

It's not my local machine or my local connections.

I have not been having this problem on any other boards or even on other parts of the bay12games site.
Just for forums here.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 06:26:45 am »

Only thing I can think of is a router between the one hosting the site and your local one is having issues.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 06:35:29 am »

I fired up wireshark and I think I may have tracked it down.
I had my laptop configured to go through a uni proxy for accessing some course materials which aren't available from outside the college network.
(I may have had a similar setting on my girlfriends laptop for downloading project work)

For some reason  the department proxy has no problems with other sites but cuts off the connection half way for the bay12 forums(and no other parts of bay12 or other similar forums)

I'll fire an email to the techs here about it but it's still wierd that it's only the bay12 forums and nothing else.(delayed till after I find out if it's only our proxy server or all proxy servers which have problems with bay12)

Does bay12 have some problem with proxy servers?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:43:19 am by HungryHobo »

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 06:37:29 am »

Update: to try to post this I just went through proxyforall and while more of the page is loading it still cuts off the bottom of the page a lot of the time.
Might the forums software have a general hatred of proxy servers?

Anyone else going through a proxy care to test loading pages and seeing if the bottom half ever gets cut off?
anyone care to try some more online proxies?

I'm leaning towards this being something on the bay12 side given the same problem happening with different proxies.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:42:17 am by HungryHobo »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 06:55:42 am »

I'm thinking it might also be a problem with your proxy in question, but anyway, have you tried  other forums hosted by SMF?

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:05:22 am »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:13:12 am »

Hmm, ok then.
See the reason that the forums are giving you trouble and nothing else is because the forums are hosted on a separate server, so there is something going on between that server and your computer. Based on the fact that its working perfectly for me, and most likely everybody else, it isn't because of the server hosting the forums, so that leaves you and your proxys. I think it's a safe bet that you haven't done anything too bad (Unless the FBI is monitoring your activitys and that is slowing down forums 8)) so have fun dealing with server guys!

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 07:25:51 am »

This has been also happening to me - both on my university connection and at home, so it's unlikely to be related to anyone's connection.  I put it down to Toady's bandwidth being redlined for the release(s).  The front page works most of the time, the forums tend to fall over pretty regularly.  I'm surprised I reached this thread, actually.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 07:29:16 am »

::)
Well as forums are on a separate server, that would imply a separate bandwidth, so I guess it is possible that with D2010 out we managed to break the forums ourselves, but then why do I still have interwebs?

Cymsdale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 08:15:29 am »

I don't think it's a local problem for the OP. I'm having the same issue myself on networks that go through a proxy. At home I can connect fine.

Before DF21010 the forums worked perfectly in all places for me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 08:20:28 am »

;D
You might all have to stop your illegal activity and stop using proxys. Take the opportunity to ddos a government site or something.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 01:09:21 pm »

;D
You might all have to stop your illegal activity and stop using proxys. Take the opportunity to ddos a government site or something.

As with many many networks my college network pushes all http traffic through a proxy.

As far as I know so does my wireless provider which would explain it not working at my girlfriends apartment as her laptop wasn't set to use the college proxy.

From some experimentation this appears to be a problem with trying to get to the boards through any kind of proxy.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 01:19:45 pm »

As far as I can tell, the forums and the DF 0.31.* releases are hosted on the same machine. I just assume it gets overloaded now and then.
Pages: [1] 2