Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Why Does Poor Quality Media Sell The Best?  (Read 6684 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Why Does Poor Quality Media Sell The Best?
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2010, 01:00:58 am »

This rings of my first post in this thread, abit a bit nicer.

Most media is average. Average doesn't equal poor. Average by its definition is the most available in this context.

Actual poor media does not sell well. Actual poor media goes quickly into obscurity.

There plenty of examples that are badly done media. fanfiction.net is an excellent resource of bad author. MST3k is an excellent resource of horrible movies. Plenty of horrible video games that Angry Video Game nerd has so kindly and colorfully remind us of its horribleness. Bad TV shows generally don't go onto its second season.

None of these examples sell well or will ever be sold due to its lack of quality.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2010, 08:52:40 am »

This rings of my first post in this thread, abit a bit nicer.

Most media is average. Average doesn't equal poor. Average by its definition is the most available in this context.

Actual poor media does not sell well. Actual poor media goes quickly into obscurity.

There plenty of examples that are badly done media. fanfiction.net is an excellent resource of bad author. MST3k is an excellent resource of horrible movies. Plenty of horrible video games that Angry Video Game nerd has so kindly and colorfully remind us of its horribleness. Bad TV shows generally don't go onto its second season.

None of these examples sell well or will ever be sold due to its lack of quality.

Just because something sells well doesn't mean it's average quality. Plenty of badly made, creativly bankrupt things, with not a jot of worth, sell extremely well.

Now of course this is all just a matter of opinion. For every single piece of media created there will be someone who absolutely loves it, and someone who absolutely hates it. But just because theres someone out there who likes something, doesn't mean it's elevated from bad quality to average.

Look at the Star wars prequels for example. They sold extremely well, and yeah some people like them. But they are bad movies. Watch RedLetterMedia's reviews for reasons why, but as a quick summary: The first one doesnt have a protagonist, they are completely devoid of tension, the ending tries to rotate constantly between widly conflicting emotions over and over in a short space of time, and the plot makes absolutely no sense.

The scene he cut from the behind the scenes where Lucas first screens it for his producers and editors, and they all realise the ending is horribly made, but they cant fix it because it would require extensive reshoots is quite telling. It's a film that got made because George Lucas wanted to make it, and he's an influential director. It's a film that sold well based on the title of the film, the directors name, and the special effects. But the narrative, acting, pacing, and so many other aspects are just horrible. Not average, but just plain bad.

There are plenty other examples of poor media selling extremely well, this is just one of the easiest.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2010, 09:13:14 am »

He meant that he was putting the Bible in a separate category from The Dark Tower, as one is an admitted work of fiction and the other is a religious text, which purports to contain the truth.

This is exactly what I meant, thank you. You were using green text outside of 4chan.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2010, 02:33:02 pm »

I didn't know the Dark Tower series was religious!

Jk, jk
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2010, 06:17:08 pm »

I only liked the first book of the series anyway. The following ones got progressively worse
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2010, 09:53:43 pm »

I read the original first one. I kinda liked it better than the edited first one.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2010, 03:52:01 am »

Why do empty* books ( like Twilight / Eragon / Dan Brown ), empty* TV shows ( Supernatural, quite a few sitcoms ) and empty* games ( dear god, too many to list ) seem to sell the best?

I mean, there's no accounting for personal taste, and I'm not going to hold that against a person, but these things are AWFUL derivative turds. And, yet, they seem to hold the eye of the public more than actually decent pieces of work ( hi George R.R. Martin ).

Can anyone explain this to me? ( Especially the Dan Brown / Eragon thing, really those books are terrible, they literally ripped plots and scenes from other works. )

inb4 someone comes in and accuses me of being elitist / not accepting of people etc.

Spoiler: *Empty (click to show/hide)

because some of the people buying them are CHILDREN and thus can be forgiven, others are just stupid- being MORE intelligent than the average can only lead you to believe that the average, more numerous population, is LESS intelligent.  This doesn't make people bad, they just have poor.  It's really just a quirk like any other...one you should forgive in your friends..most of the time.  heh.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2010, 01:11:56 am »

I'm currently reading this book suggested to me by a wise older woman who I deeply respect.

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X
by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge

This book has 220 pages and is comprised of 92 chapters[/i]

Its for children apparently, I'm 22 years old. I don't do much reading in books anymore (I'm mostly playing games and writing my own amateur story/LP at the moment)

I don't know which I hate more about this book. The main character is a marty stu who has "create anything" powers. The writing doesn't engage the brain at all, there's no mystery or suspense. Any attempt at mystery or suspense is two dimensional and can be seen the moment they are hinted at. The chapters are 1-3 pages long, I guess that's what they mean by "fast action page turner".

The main character is not believable in any way which is supposedly written off part way through the beginning of the story when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe I'm just not getting it? Maybe sci-fi isn't my thing? I want to believe that my aunt whom I respect greatly, had a reason for giving me this book. Maybe it has one hell of a twist near the end? (I'm 2/3 done the book)

The only reason I bother to read the book is sometimes during the day I just have nothing else I can do.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]