Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dealing with megabeasts.  (Read 2526 times)

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with megabeasts.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 02:27:32 pm »

Megabeasts do not get caught in cages, unless you knock them unconscious on the trap.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 03:47:30 pm »

I somehow doubt you can catch them in traps. They certainly have the building-destroyer tag from megabeasts, so they will probably also have trapavoid. I'll test it when I come to clear out the crundle/troglodyte infestation anyway.

Building destroyers can still be caught in cages unless they also have the trap avoid tag. I caught many megabeasts who were building destroyers in 40d. I haven't tried that yet in DF2010 personally, but I've heard several people say all megabeasts are trap avoiders now.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 04:36:04 pm »

I've just confirmed that they are in fact both trap-avoiders as I suspected. Also, they are VERY tough to kill, if not simply unkillable. One of them (fine-pewter quadruped) has 4 broken legs, only 1 foot still attached, and its body and head are both pulverised yet it keeps on coming. It killed all my fairly skilled military, and now it's running around the fortress slaughtering everyone. The 'gigantic earthworm made of ash' has received wounds to both wings and its body (from a civilian), but it's still flying around killing my dwarves too. I guess I'm going to save-scum, since this really isn't fair.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Dub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 11:57:08 pm »

Before:
Code: [Select]
   _  <- channel here
# # #
# # #
# # #
# # #
# # #
    #
##<##
##<##
##<##
##<   <- enterance
#####

After:
#   # 
#   #
#   #
#   #
#   #
  # #
#####
#####
#####
###   <- BOOM!!!
#####

Tetris!

Yes! =))))))

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 05:09:14 am »

It's easier than that to isolate them, really, just use a moat and drawbridges, so long as it can't fly.  Take this side view:

__/ ____M__^ \__<
### ######## ####

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 05:13:52 am »

It's easier than that to isolate them, really, just use a moat and drawbridges, so long as it can't fly.  Take this side view:

__/ ____M__^ \__<
### ######## ####

Yes, but then the mega beast is neither dead nor trapped for our own amusement. Were is the fun in that?

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 11:24:14 am »

After my second Forgotten Beast, I have to say that yes, they all have trap avoid.

The good news is that they're not usually particularly tough, unless they're made from an inorganic material (such as Jade or whatever) - then, they act like a Bronze Colossus. You can hack them to bits but your dwarves might actually starve to death trying to kill them.

I'd say plan on using your military for most of them, but have a magma-trap set up just in case.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 01:23:44 pm »

I just wall off the caverns. Multistory walls were not something quickly accomplished but things got much faster when I got a feel for blocking things with floors.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Cerion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 03:35:13 pm »

I got so annoyed at an unkillable crystal glass titan that I temporarily modded my weapons to be able to decapitate it

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 07:39:38 pm »

After more time in my fort I can confirm that Dragons are not trap avoiders. I caught one in a cage earlier, but a Hill Titan megabeast walked right past all my traps.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 07:42:18 pm »

I just wall off the caverns. Multistory walls were not something quickly accomplished but things got much faster when I got a feel for blocking things with floors.
Dude, he came in from the edge of the screen.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 08:27:25 pm »

An ettin announced his presence, and after emergency doom drills, military scrambles, gate sealings, and general chaos, he blithely walked into the wall o' cage traps and now adorns my meeting hall. So yeah, looks like not ALL uninvited guests have trapavoid.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 12:08:22 am »

Just the forgotten beasts. Dragons/Ettins and other "regular" megabeasts are fine.
Pretty sure Bronze Colossi can be trapped too (just not killed)
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 01:07:52 am »

Yeah. Standard megabeasts and semimegabeasts can be either killed(with the single exception of Bronze Colossi) or caught in cage traps(the only real effective way of dealing with Bronze Colossi)

Titans, Forgotten Beasts and HFS all have trapavoid and buildingdestroyer though(and all HFS as well as several Titans and Forgotten Beasts can fly as well). Most can be killed, but the inorganics are currently unkillable in unmodded DF(well technically they can be killed by decapitation, just not by that player since you need either super-heavy weapons made from Slade or extremely large beasts)
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: 1 [2]