Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If water's salty, interface should display "saltwater" instead of just "water"  (Read 2836 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Seriously, is there any reason for the game not to tell you this?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Other than embarking near open water should imply the presence of salt water, probably not. +1
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile

I'm fairly certain salt water is a single tilde, but fresh water is a double tilde.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well that's not too helpful if you've got fluids displayed as numbers.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile

Well that's not too helpful if you've got fluids displayed as numbers.
Why would you go and do a silly thing like that? XD
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online

Both freshwater and saltwater are displayed as double tildes.

Six years into my current fortress I have discovered that there is no freshwater on the map.  There was no notification of saltwater when I chose the embark, only one for the aquifer.  There is no coastal area on this fortress map.  There are only a few murky pools, the aquifer, and a brook with several waterfalls.  I was rolling along with a nice well with a big reservoir, an irrigated underground farming area, and an active lyemaking workshop.  No one was complaining until someone got injured.

Oh well, time to build a desalination plant.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile

I hope this will be fixed when we get more fluids like blood and oil in the game, and when sand becomes a form of fluid. It would be nice to have the notification rigth now.
We found the zirilid stream

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile

I concur with the above points.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

/agree

I've also seen "mud laced water" sometimes in my wells. I'm not sure why. Its drinkable at least and doesn't seem to cause any unhappy thoughts.

Could there be 3 types of water? Salt water, muddy water, and fresh water?

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile

How about having solutions.

There is water, then there is a "powdered" stone/metal in the water, using the different stone types. So a salt water is a water with powdered stone of salt.
We found the zirilid stream

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would also be nice if the loo(k) command revealed some other information about a given square, like heat, flows, light level (when we hit the lighting arc)
as it stands, I like turning fluids to number to better adjudicate just how much water is in a square; but I have no way of knowing if that 7/7 water has a current without quitting out and changing the init, or building a waterwheel in it. Similar thing with temperatures, the only way to know if a square is cold is to pump some water in it and see if it freezes, likewise the only way to tell if a square will kill your dwarfs in fiery death is to toss something on the square and see what happens to it.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would also be nice if the loo(k) command revealed some other information about a given square, like heat, flows, light level (when we hit the lighting arc)
as it stands, I like turning fluids to number to better adjudicate just how much water is in a square; but I have no way of knowing if that 7/7 water has a current without quitting out and changing the init, or building a waterwheel in it. Similar thing with temperatures, the only way to know if a square is cold is to pump some water in it and see if it freezes, likewise the only way to tell if a square will kill your dwarfs in fiery death is to toss something on the square and see what happens to it.
It's like minesweeper you don't know if the mine is there, that's half the fun.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile

/agree

I've also seen "mud laced water" sometimes in my wells. I'm not sure why. Its drinkable at least and doesn't seem to cause any unhappy thoughts.

My understanding is that anything that passes through the well is always purified.  All water from the well is clean and pure regardless of the source.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

/agree

My understanding is that anything that passes through the well is always purified.  All water from the well is clean and pure regardless of the source.

I have seen both stagnant water (from pools) and mud laced water in buckets. I can only assume the mud laced water is from the wells built above a cavern lake... unless the dorfs actually ran 40 levels down to get water from the other cavern lake. (Would not surprise me either, given the antics they have about stockpiles and whatnot.)