Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What's With The Anger / Lack Of Joking Here Nowadays?  (Read 5861 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: What's With The Anger / Lack Of Joking Here Nowadays?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 09:54:26 pm »

From what I've seen, people only seem to be getting really irritated at tired, old crap like "clownite", etc.. If it was funny the first five hundred times...
As an example, my thousands of hideously poor attempts at original humor have, at the very least, not annoyed anybody to the point that they felt the need to make a post telling me to shut up. But when I made the mistake of unironically using "clownite", "clowns" and "clown car" all in the same post... well, nothing really happened, but someone definitely got irked (although it wasn't at me, specifically, which is pretty rare.)
I think one of the most important parts of comedy is the element of surprise. So surprise us, preferably with your creativity.  I think people would get less annoyed by the whole clown metaphor if it was taken in a different direction than usual (what that direction is, I don't know). Also, since a surprisingly small amount of people seem to realise this: "surprise" and "random" are not the same thing. There has to be some coherence, some connection between the setup and the punchline (AKA the "funny" part)-- a punchline by itself is just sad.

I think this is the driest post I have ever made, ever.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 05:19:09 pm »

People who use the clown metaphor didn't realize the humor died quickly, which was excusable because it was I guess, and were caught up in it enough that they shoehorned it as the new term to use for HFS, insisting that HFS was a dead joke, which irked me personally. HFS means hidden fun stuff. Apt enough description, the words Toady put in himself. It would be like all of the people you met tomorrow referring to the weather as a 'hotdog stand'. Funny for maybe five minutes due to the oddness, but it would get old quickly. Also, as others have stated, timing and appropriateness of jokes, and the over usage of them. If you make a thread, I guarantee that you will get five, minimum posts that can be condensed to "herf derf magma elf derf hurrrrr". There is no set-up, just a poor attempt at a stand-alone punchline. The reason the hostility exists is because, were it not to, those jokes would be more common than they are, that when someone did make a funny joke, no one would even read it because they wouldn't give two damns. I suppose it is our filter on comedy, like how open mic night strains out the good guys from the people who still think fart jokes are awesome.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

The Minister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 06:09:41 pm »

A lot of "humour" / "joke" threads showing up on the wrong part of the forums is what I've been seeing. There is an entire other part of the forums for non-DF related garbage like "Toady One I Am Watching You Like A Hawk."

But if you're legitimately wondering why the people posting "What should we call the clown car" and "Guy let's make new preselected memes for the community" threads over and over again are getting negative response, it's because in the first scenario a lot of people really don't like the way-past-its-due-date clown analogy (or any similar forced metaphor I should add) and the new version is the best time to stop that and the second scenario was a bad idea to begin with.

There's plenty of humour on this forum, it's just lightly sprinkled on everything rather than being concentrated in "haha look guys this is going to be so good just wait" threads.

DF General Discussion
Here you can discuss Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress in any way you like.
McDoomhammer: DF is the best thing after sex.
Krash: Blasphemy!!11
thvaz: Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 09:20:52 pm »

DF General Discussion
Here you can discuss Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress in any way you like.

I would not define a thread consisting entirely of "Toady I Am Watching You... Like A Hawk" as DF-related. Nor particularly hilarious.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 01:02:04 am »

Certainly there must be some rule about using the term Meme to many times in a post.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 02:15:27 am »

I never have posted that regularly but I have read the forum for some time. I hadn't noticed an anger problem but I certainly noticed lots of new names which is good. Since I joined there have been occasional topics with angry contents and some members who don't get along but it's by far the most civil and friendly forum I know.

I must admit that the whole clown reference is something I never found funny and I'm glad to read I'm not the only one. I didn't know others felt the same way until this topic as I've been avoiding all talk of HFS like the plague.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 05:41:03 am »

What, the clown reference was funny? I thought it's there just to avoid actual names as spoilers.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: It's all "The Good old Days" worship.
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 11:03:22 am »

So I'll join in, what happened to the funny people, like that one guy who always begins his messages with Hi and ends it with his name? What was his name again? Bah, who cares!
 ;)
Hi!
Deathworks
It saves you a lot of embarrassment to read more carefully. :P

How could I ever missed that. What was his name again though?

::)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 03:57:22 pm »

What, the clown reference was funny? I thought it's there just to avoid actual names as spoilers.
I would not call
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
particulary good anti-spoiler. Almost all is spoiled, only identification of ***nite left. I think some people use this term because so. It is like slang.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 04:58:06 pm »

I would not call
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
particulary good anti-spoiler. Almost all is spoiled, only identification of ***nite left. I think some people use this term because so. It is like slang.

Although it does do the intended job of not spoiling the relationship between adamantine and demons, which is what the whole spoiler business is about.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 05:16:22 pm »

I think it is the Economy. And various First-World Problems.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 05:35:43 pm »

Three pages...

It should've stopped on the first.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 08:22:46 pm »

The farther we can move away from people wallowing in a pool of tired in-jokes the better. Like all good forums I'd say this one has reached a critical mass and is slowly rebelling against such things. The "clown" nonsense was certainly the catalyst.
Pages: 1 2 [3]