Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's With The Anger / Lack Of Joking Here Nowadays?  (Read 5869 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's With The Anger / Lack Of Joking Here Nowadays?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 01:46:28 pm »

Is it so hard to not post?

Actually, it is. It takes a lot of self-control to pass up on an argument, it's human nature.

Also, I point out the irony of your making a post entirely devoted to yelling at him. In a thread partially about there being too much yelling.

WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 01:47:01 pm »

It's just really hard talking with someone who is opposite from you in many ways...

Okay, so don't.  Is it so hard to not post?  Unpopular threads die far more quickly when people who dislike them ignore them...rather than perpetuating the problem and feeding the trolls.
Have you seen Phantom? it's hard not to talk to him, whenever I want to do something he likely wants to do it a far different way, and you can't expect me to ignore the game threads can you?

You want me to just ignore those posts? You want me to look like someone avoiding more than they usually do? When I see something wrong or an argument, you can't stop me unless I don't want to talk about it anyway.

See what I mean? I'm on the opposite side of that argument and I can't ignore it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 01:54:14 pm »

Not only are the jokes being bashed down, but the games too, the forum is less fun then I remember it to be several months ago.

Several months ago, this forum was more of hangout place of people united in waiting for release.

Singular goal with optional outside advesary does a lot for comradeship. People are more willing to put up with bad jokes (even to sincerely laugh) when people who make then are members of ones social circle.

Chances are, if Jack Chick came here and started preching evils of dwarf fotress and started making brochures, community would be united once again lauch at Clowns.

Anyone has his phone number? I need to explain magma usage to him.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 02:10:00 pm »

There are a couple of possibilities.
Maybe people are slightly more shorttempered because of some of the new bugs. Its unfortunate, but nothing irriates more than something that should go off without a hitch, developing a hitch. And theres nothing they can do, because, lets face it, you can't ask Toady to work much faster without asking for a subscription cost. And futility irritates also.

Another is that I came back recently. I have always gotten the impression that I just sliiiightly tick people off in the real world, and I have no idea how my attitude in the virtual sea is recieved by all and sundry. All I know is that threads I post in normally die off. It is a good strong thread that can continue after my post. Could be a good comparison to a big goblin siege. Only the well prepared fortresses survive.

A third is that what you consider humor might be the opposite of someone elses. People who enjoy watching blooper reels might find no smiles in a stand up comedian, but wet themselves at sitcoms. A good pun might have some rolling on the floor while others think it complete crap. And so on and on.

This is a site about a game that takes detail seriously. You will rarely find laughing people working at a clockmakers, where a tiny fault can create a catastrophic failure, and a useless watch. This might be taking a metaphor too far, but there you are.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 02:12:53 pm by Mr_Bucket_Hat »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »

There are a couple of possibilities.
Maybe people are slightly more shorttempered because of some of the new bugs. Its unfortunate, but nothing irriates more than something that should go off without a hitch, developing a hitch. And theres nothing they can do, because, lets face it, you can't ask Toady to work much faster without asking for a subscription cost. And futility irritates also.

Another is that I came back recently. I have always gotten the impression that I just sliiiightly tick people off in the real world, and I have no idea how my attitude in the virtual sea is recieved by all and sundry. All I know is that threads I post in normally die off. It is a good strong thread that can continue after my post. Could be a good comparison to a big goblin siege. Only the well prepared fortresses survive.

A third is that what you consider humor might be the opposite of someone elses. People who enjoy watching blooper reels might find no smiles in a stand up comedian, but wet themselves at sitcoms. A good pun might have some rolling on the floor while others think it complete crap. And so on and on.

This is a site about a game that takes detail seriously. You will rarely find laughing people working at a clockmakers, where a tiny fault can create a catastrophic failure, and a useless watch. This might be taking a metaphor too far, but there you are.
so we have too many serious clockmakers hating everything because of an tiny fault that wrecks their clocks forcing them to abandon?

really the anger/lack of joking seems to only be in the general discussion section of dwarf fortress. every where else in bay forums is taken less seriously still there clutter of spoiler warnings that seems redundant for a vast game that would take years to find let alone so random one person would found one hidden thing in 2 seconds in the game where one just heard about it and finally found it in 4 months.
still I think the clown use lost it's meaning as so spoiling lost it's use.
I thought we called demons names to just demean them.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 02:55:49 pm »

so we have too many serious clockmakers hating everything because of an tiny fault that wrecks their clocks forcing them to abandon?
It's possible. I've seen more than a few topics over the years about people abandoning fortresses within a year or two because they dug out a room wrong and don't want constructed walls.

really the anger/lack of joking seems to only be in the general discussion section of dwarf fortress. every where else in bay forums is taken less seriously still there clutter of spoiler warnings that seems redundant for a vast game that would take years to find let alone so random one person would found one hidden thing in 2 seconds in the game where one just heard about it and finally found it in 4 months.
Lots of people got in a habit of digging a 3x3 stair shaft straight to the bottom of the area and building up from there, because if you didn't have that turquoise pound sterling character in your embark square, there wasn't much to worry about. Doing that now would put you right into the heart of the action, and it's reasonably Fun to learn that the hard way. Right now, it's not considered spoily to mention that there are large underground caverns now that are populated with dangerous creatures, nor to discuss what sort of preparations are required to handle them. However, I and many other people don't want to know any details beyond that until we actually march in there with half a dozen axedwarves to find out.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 03:00:36 pm »

Its more the concentration rather than the clockmakers well known hatred of everything that isn't a clock. And I had said it might have been too stretched a metaphor.

By the way, is the second last line meant to be some kind of pun, because I can't figure out what you meant.

It's possible. I've seen more than a few topics over the years about people abandoning fortresses within a year or two because they dug out a room wrong and don't want constructed walls.

Lots of people got in a habit of digging a 3x3 stair shaft straight to the bottom of the area and building up from there, because if you didn't have that turquoise pound sterling character in your embark square, there wasn't much to worry about. Doing that now would put you right into the heart of the action, and it's reasonably Fun to learn that the hard way. Right now, it's not considered spoily to mention that there are large underground caverns now that are populated with dangerous creatures, nor to discuss what sort of preparations are required to handle them. However, I and many other people don't want to know any details beyond that until we actually march in there with half a dozen axedwarves to find out.

Half a dozen? Half a legion maybe.

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 03:32:04 pm »

The quality of an internet user's forum posts is inversely proportional to the quantity of said posts.

A useful rule of thumb is: if you've noticed the quality of posts on an internet forum declining, you are the reason for that decline. Go outside and frolick in a meadow or something. It's for everyone's benefit. :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:34:21 pm by Kholint »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 03:34:13 pm »

I for one am pretty well pleased with the new version and love the new features, the only real reason for me to make not so flattering posts on certain topics is because people are intentionaly trying to make jokes, even making threads over it, which ruins any kind of fun every had on this forum.
DF jokes are fun because they are based on stuff that actualy happens to players and made on opportune moments, not because someone thought up a meme and decided to make posts solely to try to make it popular.

Its like running up to a crowd, telling a joke you just came up with, and then asking omg wasn't it funny?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 03:43:38 pm »

The quality of an internet user's forum posts is inversely proportional to the quantity of said posts.

A useful rule of thumb is: if you've noticed the quality of posts on an internet forum declining, you are the reason for that decline. Go outside and frolick in a meadow or something. It's for everyone's benefit. :P

...*Looks up directory for nearest meadow*

They're harder to find than you think.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
It's all "The Good old Days" worship.
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 03:45:13 pm »

This thread is all about "Good old days" worship. I see it all the time. People who have spent maybe a year or two in a community bemoaning about the horrible "newfags" coming in. It was old when I joined this community, its old in other older communities, and it's all bullcrap.

If anything, the level of niceness now is greater than it was "back in the days".

You get a few trolls pushing a few buttons, just like always. You get a few new guys getting all hurt, just like always, and you get people who are only a few steps removed from troll going "OMG, WHAT HAPPENED TO MY COMMUNITY!", just like always.

So I'll join in, what happened to the funny people, like that one guy who always begins his messages with Hi and ends it with his name? What was his name again? Bah, who cares!
 ;)

10 Cakes for anyone who sends me a link where he didn't do that in these forums.

By the way, for the 3x3 shafts, look at mine. I love the new features. Figuring out how to make a good fort has become much harder, and the deaths more rewarding. I am still looking forward to seeing some of that new pokemon-like HFS trash my fort in ways I never considered. Floodgate walls, narrow fortifications, traps and military. All of it is prepared, but I am certain it'll all be woefully inadeqate until I figure out how to deal with stuff, and it still might not be good enough even then. Something truly sinister about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 03:51:34 pm »

I have to add that reclaiming is actualy feasible now. I just reclaimed my old for who died thanks to incompetent military and a swarm of trolls comming from the caves, and isntead of a huge squad full of axedwarfs who loves eachother, I got a new embark party.

I hope visual fortress or 3D dwarf gets updated soon so I can get a view of the above ground castle I'm constructing before I raid the HFS and get raped by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: It's all "The Good old Days" worship.
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 04:13:01 pm »

So I'll join in, what happened to the funny people, like that one guy who always begins his messages with Hi and ends it with his name? What was his name again? Bah, who cares!
 ;)
Hi!
Deathworks
It saves you a lot of embarrassment to read more carefully. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 04:17:22 pm »

All of the comedy threads ive seen recently have been the ones where people are actively trying to MAKE comedy. And thats terrible.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 04:18:40 pm »

yeah, spontaneous comedy tends to be funnier.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.
Pages: 1 [2] 3