Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dumping zone question  (Read 994 times)

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dumping zone question
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:04:07 pm »

i remember i can make a single tile dumping zone where the dwarves would just stack everything marked for dumping on that one tile. does anyone remember how to do this cause i forgot.

i used it as a way to store excess stone without taking up space

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dumping zone question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:06:46 pm »

Wait, what's the question? You answered it yourself- you mark one tile as a dump zone (using zones) and then dump things. The dwarves pile them there.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Fish of Muu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:07:44 pm »

Press (i) for the zones menu. Place a 1x1 zone, and then press (g)arbage dump. Then press (d)esignation, then (b) then (d)ump to mark items for dumping.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:41:26 pm »

I belive there is a complication with dumping into pits. you want the zone beside the hole, not over the hole.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 03:04:39 pm »

I belive there is a complication with dumping into pits. you want the zone beside the hole, not over the hole.

In the current version (0.31.01 and 0.31.02) you don't even need the hole.

Shotgunmaniac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 03:49:08 pm »

Everybody needs holes.  :-X

And yes, dumping into pits is a bit bugged (or was in 40d) and requires you to mark the zone right next to the pit as the dump site.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:04:15 pm »

Everybody needs holes.  :-X

And yes, dumping into pits is a bit bugged (or was in 40d) and requires you to mark the zone right next to the pit as the dump site.

Thats a bug, I thought that was just the point they stand on to dump ?
Thank you based dwarf.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »

Uh, that's not a bug.  Dwarves haul the material to the garbage dump (tile they can reach).  If that space is next to open space, they lob the material into the open space.

From the wiki:

If a garbage dump is located next to open space, dwarves will always stand on a garbage dump square when throwing into that open space, even if it could potentially be done more efficiently.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:59:53 pm by Draco18s »