Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 419719 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2205 on: March 09, 2011, 04:39:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Would that be right?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: March 09, 2011, 05:58:50 pm »

Now that the body part has a function, something to be made out of, and somewhere to go, it can finally be created using the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:<step 6 entry>.

Body parts are created by the BODY tag, but need at least one tissue to interact with things properly.  The tissues are added using the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:<step 6 entry>.
I thought I'd covered that part with steps 4 and 5, unless we're talking about slightly different things? Function = tissue, something to be made out of = material, somewhere to go = body part. There's some overlap between the tissue templates and the body parts (because there are parts that had their functions defined before the introduction of the tissue system, maybe), but tissues are mostly function where body parts are mostly location.

If you look at the creatures in the arena, all their bodyparts should be listed, but parts with no tissues can't be struck by attacks (and may not be used to pick things up?).
I didn't get that far. Merely selecting Arena Mode was enough to generate an errorlog, so no need to go any further. :) Anyway, I followed my own steps and found that there there wasn't any tissue thickness because I hadn't told the game how to put the material and the tissue together. Two lines later and all was well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 09, 2011, 08:22:49 pm »

Double posting because it's a separate issue...

Are the USE_MATERIAL/TISSUE_TEMPLATE tags creature level or caste level? I've been trying to give one caste nails and the rest claws, but the game keeps using just the last material/tissue combo declared.

Secondary question: if they are indeed creature level and the nails and claws need to be entirely separate parts of their own, what's the least weird method of making the 'proper' body parts as untargetable as body parts created within a creature entry? All I can think of is making them [INTERNAL], which is vaguely defensible at least.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:34 pm »

Are the USE_MATERIAL/TISSUE_TEMPLATE tags creature level or caste level?

Creature level afaik, but there's no reason why it should conceivably matter. You're probably doing something else wrong.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: March 09, 2011, 08:57:39 pm »

but there's no reason why it should conceivably matter.
I don't want things that should have claw on the end of their digits dropping nail upon butchery, and vice versa. Making the body parts outside the creature entry makes them targetable by default, which is an unwanted side effect of fixing the original problem.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: March 09, 2011, 09:01:12 pm »

Is there a way to make a metal incredibly rare?  I'm trying to make adamantine so that rather than being at HFS it's scattered in very small amounts sort of like a rare gem.  Unfortunately, putting it as just a small cluster in the new version will make thousands of small clusters and will act as that fort's metal if it is present, and be not present at all in most fort :(  To deal with the large amounts of adamantine I could just lower the amount of strands per adamantine, but that doesn't solve the lack of adamantine in some forts.

Edit: I suppose I could literally make it a gem and have a reaction that makes it into adamantine strands...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:02:45 pm by Greep »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: March 09, 2011, 09:04:43 pm »

I don't want things that should have claw on the end of their digits dropping nail upon butchery, and vice versa.

If that's the case... no, I don't know of any way of doing that. Why don't you want them to be dropped like other tissues? There might be a different means of approaching things.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: March 09, 2011, 09:13:46 pm »

Could it be possible to create a custom body part (probably some kind of custom fingers) that has claw materiel and give it to your caste that has claws instead of the normal fingers part?

I think the mooses(meeses?) do something with adding antlers to males for sexually dimorphic bodies, so it sounds like it could work.  But I'm rusty on the mechanics on custom body parts since I haven't needed to mod something like that in like a year.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: March 09, 2011, 09:21:08 pm »

That doesn't address the issue, though. The parts would still appear during butchery.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: March 09, 2011, 09:22:07 pm »

Ah I figured they wouldn't then.  My bad.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: March 09, 2011, 09:39:52 pm »

Aright this is my first creation/reaction, can you guys check if this is going to work?  Making adamantine a gem...

[INORGANIC:NEW_ADAMANTINE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:15][IS_GEM:new adamantine:STP:OVERWRITE_SOLID]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:CLUSTER_SMALL:10]

And replacing it as the reagent for adamantine wafers...

[REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]
[NAME:make adamantine wafers]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:GEM:NEW_ADAMANTINE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: March 09, 2011, 10:02:08 pm »

If that's the case... no, I don't know of any way of doing that. Why don't you want them to be dropped like other tissues? There might be a different means of approaching things.
I don't mind them being dropped, I just want them to have the right name when they do. It's the targeting I don't want, since they're pretty pointless to attack and there are already enough useless little bits that the AI likes to go for. Hmm, I wonder if I could apply this to toes and fingers themselves...?

I've created the custom claws attached to the fingers and toes, have gotten the game taking them without errors, and temporarily removed the normal nails while I test the claws out. Will try in the morning to see if they work -- removing the 'internal' tag will make them more visible to me and adding the 'socket' tag should have them flying all over the arena like teeth do.

Moose bodies have the male antlers be added at the [BODY:whatever] stage, and also they're large enough to be reasonably targeted.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:22 pm »

Then, as I said earlier, you're doing something wrong. You don't need the INTERNAL tag nor anything else in particular. What you've probably done is just gotten the assignments in the wrong order.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: March 09, 2011, 11:09:57 pm »

Aright this is my first creation/reaction, can you guys check if this is going to work?  Making adamantine a gem...

[INORGANIC:NEW_ADAMANTINE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:15][IS_GEM:new adamantine:STP:OVERWRITE_SOLID]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:CLUSTER_SMALL:10]

And replacing it as the reagent for adamantine wafers...

[REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]
[NAME:make adamantine wafers]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:GEM:NEW_ADAMANTINE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Okay, so I give up.  Tried it, and the gem shows up on items to choose on embark, but never on my map.  I also tried:

[INORGANIC:NEW ADAMANTINE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:20][DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:1][TILE:15][IS_GEM:new adamantine:STP:OVERWRITE_SOLID]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:ONYX:CLUSTER_ONE:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:MORION:CLUSTER_ONE:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SCHORL:CLUSTER_ONE:100]

and it never showed up near any of those gems at all despite the thousands of those gems listed on dfprospector.  I must be missing something basic...

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: March 09, 2011, 11:43:24 pm »

Double posting because it's a separate issue...

Are the USE_MATERIAL/TISSUE_TEMPLATE tags creature level or caste level? I've been trying to give one caste nails and the rest claws, but the game keeps using just the last material/tissue combo declared.

They are creature level.

Secondary question: if they are indeed creature level and the nails and claws need to be entirely separate parts of their own,

Doesn't follow:  You can make a CLAW material/tissue and a NAIL material/tissue.  Put
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:NAIL:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NAIL:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:NAIL:FRONT]
in one caste and
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CLAW:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:claw]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:claw]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:CLAW:FRONT]
in the other, I think that should work.

what's the least weird method of making the 'proper' body parts as untargetable as body parts created within a creature entry? All I can think of is making them [INTERNAL], which is vaguely defensible at least.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  All body parts are targetable unless they are INTERNAL.  INTERNAL body parts can be damaged when the parent body part is damaged.  INTERNAL body parts with no parent body part can never be damaged, however, the game may crash if a creature has only internal body parts remaining (it did when I was testing this stuff back in .13 or so).

Body parts can't be created inside a creature entry, as far as I know.  You have to use the BODY tag.  Body parts created by a BODY tag inside a caste are targetable as normal.

Tissue layers may be added to existing bodyparts within the creature entry.  This is how nails and claws work by default, they are a layer of tissue added to the front of specified body parts, rather than being body parts in their own right.  That is why they can't be targeted by attacks.

Now that the body part has a function, something to be made out of, and somewhere to go, it can finally be created using the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:<step 6 entry>.

Body parts are created by the BODY tag, but need at least one tissue to interact with things properly.  The tissues are added using the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:<step 6 entry>.

I thought I'd covered that part with steps 4 and 5, unless we're talking about slightly different things? Function = tissue, something to be made out of = material, somewhere to go = body part. There's some overlap between the tissue templates and the body parts (because there are parts that had their functions defined before the introduction of the tissue system, maybe), but tissues are mostly function where body parts are mostly location.

I think we're talking about slightly different things.  I was speaking from a programing point of view:  From what I can tell based on the error messages we get when we mess something up, the body part is created using the BODY token, the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN token adds important information to already existing body parts.

However, the tissues mostly seem to determine what happens when a body part is damaged (by setting healing rate, function/structural/etc, vascular/not vascular and so on), while function of the body part is declared during the creation of the body part its self (grasp, stance, thought, etc).
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 357