Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 421734 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2010, 11:20:17 pm »

The creature you're using shouldn't really matter for where you're trying to get their civ to show up (unless the biome is deadly to the creature, of course). It's more of a problem of if there's enough places that the civ can spawn. Care to share what biome tags you're putting on the entity?

EDIT: Just saw you're having trouble getting them in the arena, too. That's probably a syntax error or perhaps a duplicate token. Did you make sure to call them something different than [CREATURE:ELF]? Like [CREATURE:SNOW_ELF], maybe.

Well so far, as I have been mimicking elves fairly closly until I can atleast get them to shwo up in world gen, I have these tags

Code: [Select]
[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:TREE_CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:TREE_CITY]
[TOLERATES_SITE:CITY]
[TOLERATES_SITE:TREE_CITY]
[TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
[START_BIOME:TUNDRA]

Apart from that I was sure to make them [CREATURE:SNOW_ELF], so still not sure where I'm going wrong.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2010, 11:24:50 pm »

Well, if they're not showing up in arena mode, they're definitely not going to show up in world gen since the creature basically doesn't exist... I doubt it's going to be any of the entity tags. If you want, just paste their creature raw in a spoiler and I'll take a look for errors.

EDIT: Oh! Another thing that got me a few times... If you put the creature in a new creature_X.txt file, make sure the file name is up at the top (minus the .txt), before [OBJECT:CREATURE] and [CREATURE:SNOW_ELF]. For whatever reason, the parser wants the file name at the top of the text file.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:27:59 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:58 pm »

Should be identical to elves in every fashion, except the name.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2010, 11:29:01 pm »

Should be identical to elves in every fashion, except the name.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm. Well, I just added an edit onto my previous post... Did you put the creature into a new txt file?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2010, 11:32:19 pm »

Yes I did, so that must be what the cause of the problem is. Lets see if I can get this working now...

Hmm, looks like I need to do the same for entity too! Thank you SOOO much! Its a small thing, but vital I guess, and easy to miss.

Should be able to get some real work done now. I'm the kind of person that likes to constantly test ideas to make sure each detail works before moving on.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2010, 11:58:50 pm »

Yeah, the same thing got me earlier today when I was trying out some crazy monkey variations in the arena. Keeping things in separate files makes everything easier, but little things like that always go wrong when coding :)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2010, 12:07:58 am »

So just out of interest, what does a race do if you don't give them a spawning location?

I have noticed that the animal men don't have tags for it, so they just sort of show up where they show up, but if I were to make a creature have a specific biome then the entity of that creature didn't have a spawn point, would they just show up in that specific biome, but not build anything or show up before embark as a race?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2010, 12:18:23 am »

For the animal men, I think their starting area is actually given by [LAYER_LINKED], which makes them hidden underground. Civs without any starting biome or something like [LAYER_LINKED] just never appear in the world gen.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2010, 12:21:42 am »

Darn.
In that case I'm going to need more caves.

I want a fair amount of races similar to Kobalds in that you don't know where they are until you embark, and I guess the only way to do that is with caves or the underground, so I guess caves it is!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2010, 12:29:41 am »

Yeah, the CAVE site is very much like TREE_CITY. The civ members will mostly just stand around caves in their preferred biomes. This often leads to them getting killed by the various megabeasts, who also like caves.

I haven't actually tested out a [LAYER_LINKED] civ in Adventure mode, yet, so I don't have a lot of knowledge about it unfortunately. It might be interesting to try, though. I fear friendly civs in the depths will probably die quickly.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:31:28 am by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2010, 04:30:11 am »

Hmm, things seem to be going well!
So just to make sure, caves are formed naturally, and civilizations will only move in if they are already there, right? As opposed to other structures like towns that people build by themselves.

If it turns out that people build caves that would save me having to tune up the number formed, because as is I think I might run out.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2010, 04:58:07 am »

soul4hdwn: Seeing as how "cosmetic" can mean that it simply refers to a being's appearance--with the implication that there's no mechanical function--it might simply apply to what the creature looks like.

Have you tried changing the tag, and then looking at the creature in-game?
For they would be your masters.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2010, 05:07:29 am »

I got this crazy idea.

I really hate it when I keep mining for rooms, and it ends up creating more rock than I can possibly use, and dumping them would take time from other hauling that needs to be done.

There is of course the melting stone mod solution, so you can choose a stone or two that won't melt and work as stone-source for crafters.

But now that you can melt globs into bars, is it possible to have stone melt to globs as well, or at least into liquid, that you could make a smelter reaction for to produce usable stone from the liquid/globs?

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2010, 05:18:34 am »

Does anyone know how (is it even possible?) to mod the speed of skill increase? I kinda have a flashback that Toady explained how, but can't find it again.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2010, 05:47:29 am »

I'll look into it, Goran. I think I remember there being a way to mod it, even in earlier versions.

Ieb: I have no idea, but it'd be great if there was. Possibly some kind of acid reaction? Vinegar + Stone = Sand? With vinegar maybe being something an alchemist could manufacture from any alchohol type.

One partial solution is to simply expand the uses for stone we already have. There are a lot of
stones, and even some ores, that we don't currently have a use for.

For instance, I'm always finding cobaltite on my map. Cinnabar and nickel too, frequently. The mod planned for this thread will have a handful of advanced steel reactions that use them.

Zinc and lead could also be more useful.

Orpiment could be used as a poison, or in tanning, or pigments if we ever get painting. Lots of stones are used as ingredients in paint, and this might concievably become a strong point of trade between dwarfs and humans, someday. 

Stones like rocksalt and saltpeter could have uses in medicine and food-preservation, while microcline, and other feldspars, could be very useful for making ceramics/pottery.

Another item that would be nice to have would be cement. If we could mix stone with cement, and form a substance that Building Destroyer critters couldn't tear down, that might be really useful.

Not sure at all that any of this can be modding in yet, though.

Another partial solution is to add more useful types of stone into the game. Different types of coal, more ores, etc.

For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 357