Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 409829 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #2595 on: April 07, 2011, 07:46:18 pm »

Bugger. That makes a right mess of my tech tree.
Guess the 'emergency anvil' workshop is go after all. I wonder if I can make an anvil out of something rottable so that it doesn't stick around after it's been used? Probably, DF is very bad at joined-up thinking.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: April 07, 2011, 07:52:45 pm »

Is [TRANCES] a creature-level tag?
No idea, but I see a typo.
[TRANCES] [CAN_SPEAK]

Is it possible to use Select Additional Caste like that? I thought that was only per grouping of shared abilities. I also thought Select Caste All was for abilities that all the castes shared or do they overwrite each other? May I try rearranging things?

Everything can get moods so long as it's of the player civ. It's hard-coded, as such.
Oh! Trances is for martial trances. I keep thinking it's for those artistic moods cause they always kind of go into a "trance" of sorts and wander around like a determined zombie.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: April 07, 2011, 08:06:27 pm »

For the growth duration in the plant files, how much would a year be?

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: April 07, 2011, 08:31:50 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Time
4032??

Your kappa icon is cute! Is it from a game?

Mister Adams,

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: April 07, 2011, 08:37:05 pm »

I see a typo.
[TRANCES] [CAN_SPEAK]
Not a typo, it's been deactivated. [CAN_SPEAK] is what stops butchered civ members being hauled off to the food pile or otherwise used, but it's also the tag responsible for giving them names (without them having to gain them by killing stuff). I'm still hoping to find a way around this.

Is it possible to use Select Additional Caste like that? I thought that was only per grouping of shared abilities. I also thought Select Caste All was for abilities that all the castes shared or do they overwrite each other? May I try rearranging things?
Sure, go ahead. [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] says 'apply the following to all castes, and stop at the next SELECT_CASTE'. Later tags overwrite earlier ones if they clash, which is how I get the gender distribution done without selecting seven castes individually. I could have put [MALE] pre-caste, making it essentially an all-castes tag, and then overwritten it for the female caste, but I wanted to keep non-universal tags together. You can slap new tags on any caste at any time. Just remember where they are in the file if you're using subcastes.

'Select additional caste' appears to be working. Overt abilities are distributed correctly, and to my knowledge all tags involved are caste-level. I am grouping shared abilities... just not all at once. 'Select additional caste' doesn't drop any caste called since the last 'select caste' (be pretty useless otherwise, heh), so any changes made to the freshly-called caste still apply to the original undropped caste.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: April 07, 2011, 10:54:43 pm »

I see a typo.
[TRANCES] [CAN_SPEAK]
Not a typo, it's been deactivated. [CAN_SPEAK] is what stops butchered civ members being hauled off to the food pile or otherwise used, but it's also the tag responsible for giving them names (without them having to gain them by killing stuff). I'm still hoping to find a way around this.

Doesn't 0.25 give names to creatures even if they have no [CAN_SPEAK]?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: April 07, 2011, 11:27:16 pm »

It names my starting seven, but immigrants come as their job titles. I don't know how it affects invaders in this version.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: April 08, 2011, 12:42:33 am »

What can we do in regards to throwing weapons? I'm guessing a dummy "launcher" weapon and then throwing weapon "ammo" based off the "thrown" skill? Is there a cleaner way to do that?

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: April 08, 2011, 03:26:07 am »

Not a typo, it's been deactivated.
My bad, thought it was a missing bracket. Perhaps removing both brackets make it clearer?

but it's also the tag responsible for giving them names (without them having to gain them by killing stuff). I'm still hoping to find a way around this.
I've been meaning to ask if we can we make our own language and names?

'Select additional caste' doesn't drop any caste called since the last 'select caste' (be pretty useless otherwise, heh), so any changes made to the freshly-called caste still apply to the original undropped caste.
Oh, then maybe I have been doing mine wrong. Having trouble understanding this other method, though, and the centaur seem to work fine the way they are, so I dunno.  :-[
Mister Adams,

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: April 08, 2011, 10:19:03 am »

My bad, thought it was a missing bracket. Perhaps removing both brackets make it clearer?
Easier to remove the whole thing, really. If it's deactivated then it has as much relevance as a comment.

I've been meaning to ask if we can we make our own language and names?
Yes. Changing the translations (language_WHATEVER) can be done with DFLang if you're not using a real language, otherwise I hope you like typing. Changing which word is associated with each 'sphere' of language can be done in language_SYM, and is fairly transparent. language_words is the file which says which words can go where in a name (note the differences in the words available for each slot in the fortress naming screen on embark), whether they're nouns, verbs, or adjectives, and which form they take. Very few people mess around with this one, although adding a word with the exact function of another (eg. tomb / barrow) isn't too difficult.

Having trouble understanding this other method, though, and the centaur seem to work fine the way they are, so I dunno.  :-[
Taking the last three-part section as an example (spoilered for wordiness)...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did have the tags set up in the usual way, with the tags being added individually to each caste, but I kept shifting things round as the bodies and attacks evolved and it became too much of a pain to find the individual tagsets.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: April 08, 2011, 06:11:00 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Time
4032??

OOOoh thanks :D.

Your kappa icon is cute! Is it from a game?

FFVI I think. Saw a video about it when the ground broke apart and the kappa fell in with that sprite all the way down.

If I wanted to make an extract that turns into a solid or any other thing, how would the [REAGENT:____] line look like?  I know the Reagent should probably be followed by liquid_misc, and then at the end, the name of the extract itself, but I just don't know what the two spaces in the centre of it is for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: April 08, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »

If I wanted to make an extract that turns into a solid or any other thing, how would the [REAGENT:____] line look like?
Not sure what the question is here. If you want to know how to make a solid extract via reaction, the reagent line is irrelevant since the game doesn't care what goes into a product. If you want something to have a solid extract, then you use a material that's solid at fortress temperature. Specify a solid item type in the reagent line if you're making the extract via reaction, or call the material within the creature or plant you're using as a base material if you're creating the extract via the still or farmer's workshop.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: April 08, 2011, 09:38:04 pm »

Easier to remove the whole thing, really. If it's deactivated then it has as much relevance as a comment.
Could be a reference or a reminder to activate later when other things are taken care of. Which I need to do, cause I keep forgetting I'd like to add Carnivore after most testing is finished.

Yes. Changing the translations (language_WHATEVER) can be done with DFLang if you're not using a real language, otherwise I hope you like typing.
Do I like---DO I LIKE TYPING? You tell me.  ;D
And thanks for the info, sounds fun! I'll go look up DFLang, but I do have a couple great roleplaying name generators with lots of neat filters and algorithms, so is it like that?

*R: [LIGHT_GEN], [LOCKPICKER]
*Z: [LOCKPICKER]
:o Holy crap. And that works?! Now what if you changed your mind and moved a caste to a different set of abilities? You could only move it up or down in the formula or make a new formula. That is still very neat though.

Did I do it the "usual" way then?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FFVI I think. Saw a video about it when the ground broke apart and the kappa fell in with that sprite all the way down.
Oh, of course, it would be an obscure scene from my favorite FF game... now wouldn't it?  ::) He must have been one of the Espers. Now I've gotta go find that scene, dammit. lol

Mister Adams,

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: April 08, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »

Could be a reference or a reminder to activate later when other things are taken care of.
I meant for posting. Nipping off just the opening tag makes it much quicker to reverse.

I think DFLang does all the work for you. You feed it some raw material, it runs something like the travesty generator code on it to mix things up, then it rewrites the language file for your new language. I did the word generator thing back in 40d, and dear god was it boring (I like typing too, but not stuff like that...). I think I got far enough to give DFLang something to chew on, which is something at least. I used a name generator that would take small scripts telling it which letters to use in which order, which gave the words some consistency.

Now what if you changed your mind and moved a caste to a different set of abilities? You could only move it up or down in the formula or make a new formula.
Haven't tested some of them since they're only good in Fortress Mode, but if one caste-level tag works the rest can be assumed to follow. I would still consider it unproven until I've tested, say, the [FLIER] tag in all its positions.

It's more like moving an ability to a different set of castes. The tags and their associated castes were written in out in a grid first so I could see how many 'passes' I'd need, and it turned out to be pretty much less than three. If I changed my mind it'd mean either rewriting the whole thing or adding some more lines after the section, simple as that. The intention was to get all the tags in the same section due to the length of the caste declarations, and it was just luck that I could stack the tags like that.

I was already doing the same rolling selection thing for the caste's bodies (it started with the [BODY:whatever] tag and went from there), which has caused some subtle problems regarding (at least) one caste having materials it shouldn't, or where it shouldn't. That's something I'll deal with once the creature's finished and I can start stripping things out of the raw until I've isolated the problem.

Did I do it the "usual" way then?
The usual way is to declare the castes and whatever information you deem to be integral to that caste, then to call one or more castes and work on them all at the same time. In your case there's no need for fooling around with selections, and all you'd be doing is shifting tags around instead of condensing them. The thing I can see that would save space is declaring a male caste and a female caste and then making the individual weights subcastes, but that's excessive considering your integral caste info comprises three lines. It wouldn't cause any problems since the subcaste declarations would happen early enough that they'd act like regular caste declarations so long as you avoided putting anything between [CASTE:MALE] and [USE_CASTE:MEDIUM_STALLION:MALE]. It would be more difficult for other people to read, since the full information for each caste would be scattered throughout the raw instead of being self-contained or in large chunks.

Late edit: missing /
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:18:50 am by Sutremaine »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: April 08, 2011, 11:23:06 pm »

If I wanted to make an extract that turns into a solid or any other thing, how would the [REAGENT:____] line look like?
Not sure what the question is here...

Sorry about that, I'm still not terribly familiar with how tokens and materials at the moment. Though what I'm sking is how the [REAGENT] line looks like if I were to use an extract as a reagent.

Oh, of course, it would be an obscure scene from my favorite FF game... now wouldn't it?  ::) He must have been one of the Espers. Now I've gotta go find that scene, dammit. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j23fGqLCd6E&feature=player_detailpage#t=321s
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:26:57 pm by Flare »
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 357