Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fire less dangerous?  (Read 1552 times)

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire less dangerous?
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:23:26 pm »

So, a forest fire began raging just before a massive migrant wave showed up. All of them came to my fortress straight through the fire, but suffered no wounds, other than a lone bull calf that bled to death in the flames.

So, it would seem that fire is a lot less dangerous if your dwarves run straight through it (rather than hanging out chopping trees or whatever). Is anyone else seeing something similar?

KFD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire less dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:54:20 pm »

Everything seems to be a lot less damaging to dwarves right now. I had a forgotton beast that's attacks would be stopped by cloth clothing 9/10 times.

lordkrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:03:30 pm »

Everything seems to be a lot less damaging to dwarves right now. I had a forgotton beast that's attacks would be stopped by cloth clothing 9/10 times.

You obviously haven't been having enough fun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 12:43:59 am »

I don't know about fire, but there are a lot of stories circulating about procedurally generated monsters with laughably feeble superpowers.  Flying, ancient gorilla-beasts that breathe teeny tiny snowballs and will follow a child around for days peppering him with mildly annoying attacks, etc.
I brake for stumble bumblings

2cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:07:47 am »

I don't know about fire, but there are a lot of stories circulating about procedurally generated monsters with laughably feeble superpowers.  Flying, ancient gorilla-beasts that breathe teeny tiny snowballs and will follow a child around for days peppering him with mildly annoying attacks, etc.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhatKindOfLamePowerIsHeartAnyway

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:37:28 am »

Well...  they aren't necessarily forgotten because they're dangerous.  Sooner or later, Binky the Dread Mouse will show up in all of his two foot glory, breathing bursts of flame that are conveniently enough to warm the undersides of the stone tables your dwarves take their meals on.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 01:40:45 am »

Hi!

:) :) :) :)

Actually, now you know exactly why they were forgotten :) :) :)
Being no more than a nuisance, no one ever cared about them :) :)

Deathworks

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 01:43:14 am »

Do the dwarves atleast know that they're on fire now?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:20:27 am by JoshuaFH »

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 08:51:56 am »

It's also worth noting that running through the fire was not only not dangerous - it didn't catch the dwarves on fire. And really, that was the main problem before; that they'd catch fire and then wander around, catching everything else in your fort on fire.

Also, they were still blinking X migrants, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 11:21:57 am »

I think the way fire and magma works has been screwed up MAJORLY

Now it melts the fat inside the body, and eventually the skin. No bursting into flame anymore, no, your skin melts off and you bleed to death >_>;
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 11:27:51 am »

P. sure that will be fixed eventually

Looking forward to it  :D
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 11:34:48 am »

How, exactly, does fire melt a dwarf's fat without damaging his skin? Or clothes?  ???

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 11:37:18 am »

You know, it's kind've like exercising. Feel the burn! Lose that fat!

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 11:46:39 am »

I think the way fire and magma works has been screwed up MAJORLY

Now it melts the fat inside the body, and eventually the skin. No bursting into flame anymore, no, your skin melts off and you bleed to death >_>;
That's not screwed up, that's a feature!
Reminds me of Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Arc

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 12:05:33 pm »

forgotten beasts... they ignore cage traps. they break doors.

ive got one covered in red feathers, with a trunk, its a therapod(dinosaur), and breaths fire. bust past my defenses and i pulled together a squad to fight it... slow slow fight. im still figuring out the new military.  but the kill order is awesome to be able to give.

Pages: [1] 2