Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Men: Are They Playable?  (Read 798 times)

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Men: Are They Playable?
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:19:27 pm »

I'm curious about the new Subterranean Entity and the Creature Variation system which creates the Animal Men. Does the game create Animal Men for every type of animal in the game and then jam them into the Underground and then only use the Cave Swallow, etc. men to populate its civilization? Can the Subterranean civilization be modified to be Controllable? How hacked is this civilization, and how much of it is run just like the normal civs like dwarfs and humans?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Men: Are They Playable?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:14:56 pm »

slapping on indiv grants you the ability to play as them now I haven't tested out can civ but they do pop up in adventure in play now.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »

There's a Creature Variation that takes an animal and makes it an animal-man. There's some extra handling done manually for each, since they're not all identical. It shouldn't be too hard to point an [ENTITY] tag at them and mark them [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] for fort mode play, though they may need a couple other tags to work right.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:24:33 pm »

slapping on indiv grants you the ability to play as them now I haven't tested out can civ but they do pop up in adventure in play now.

True, but I'm not interested in Adventure mode, only Fortress Mode. I've tried generating a world in which to test if I can control an Animal Man civilization, but so it just keeps rejecting the worlds. I'm not sure if its because of my Entity choice, or some other factor because it wouldn't let me play as kobolds either.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:13:20 pm »

Civ_controllable should work, I managed to test out something with starting a fortress, if you're running into world rejects might be something else you changed.

Actually the world I got them to work in was pregenerated, I just switched the region raws up.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:23:43 pm »

Your problem might be that when you gen a world, the animalmen don't have cities or caves like all the normal surface races.

So its probably the reason why the game is saying they can't be placed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:26:24 pm »

Civ_controllable should work, I managed to test out something with starting a fortress, if you're running into world rejects might be something else you changed.

Actually the world I got them to work in was pregenerated, I just switched the region raws up.

What did you do to the Region Raws that made he animalmen controllable?

Also, how well did they work out in your test?

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 01:43:00 am »

actually I didn't play a fortress was trying to see if the "Weapons" option would show up in embark, neither the kobbs nor the Animalmen got the "Weapons" option in Vanilla DF.

And I all I did was go into the save/region#/raws/objects/entity_default.txt and removed Civ cont from dwarves and put  CIV_CONTROLLABLE on the animalmen entry.