Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: Weapon research  (Read 144851 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon research
« Reply #375 on: December 12, 2010, 03:04:50 pm »

@Xenos
Actually, seeing as Adamantine has a yield strength in any direction of 5,000,000,000Pa, and has zero strain at its yield point, it in fact never deforms, it would simply shatter or crack as soon as more than 5GPa of pressure is applied. So it is entirely inflexible, but not indestructible.
So basically, covering a lead war hammer with adamantine would retain the properties of adamantine on the outside, with the weight of lead. What would be the deciding factor is the thickness of the adamantine. 8)

I don't often get a chance to apply my degree to DF, thanks! (I study Materials Science at university)

The carbon nanotubes that are theoretically possible to make a space elevator out of arent as strong as adamantine... so I think I know what the first thing I am making is as soon as moving machinery comes out.
Oh i missed the zero strain bit.  ;)  hahaha (I am an engineer at college atm, but not as far along as you :P)
But then how does that explain adamantine thread and the weaving of it into cloth?   ???  It was the fact that it can be woven that implies it can be bent, and if it can be bent then it will always flex slightly when used...(make the shaft an I-beam and then laugh as it is now as effective as solid adamantine.  ;))

Also, did you convert from the raw file correctly?  because it seems like the values found there are much larger than real values (either 100 or 100 times larger.  they just use really small units.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:51:55 pm by Xenos »
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 12, 2010, 11:11:45 pm »

Heh, I didn't mean to imply I was far along in my course, I'm a second year undergraduate, I just do alot of tensile testing!
I have no idea how they form something that cannot deform into thread. I just go along with it. Though... if you were to make some sort of mesh of adamantine you could get an effect of deformation without the material deforming? Think chainmail - the rings themselves do not deform, but the armour is flexible. So I kind of see adamantine clothing as very finely wrought chain, like Frodos vest.
As for it being literal thread, that shouldn't technically be possible, but then it isn't technically possible for any material I know of to have zero strain when it yields, even ceramics are able to move slightly.
I think the thread thing can only really be summed up with dwarven !!MAGIC!!
I think the raws use kPa, because copper has 70,000 Urists for its yield strength, and it has a yield strength of ~ 70MPa, adamantine is 5,000,000, so I guessed it was 5,000MPa or 5GPa.

Unless you can spot anything else.
(Thread hijacked to discuss dwarven materials  8))

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 13, 2010, 12:45:08 am »

Well, Im just finishing up my first semester of my engineering degree ;)  so yeah you are a lot farther than I :P
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 13, 2010, 12:51:45 am »

adamantine is 5,000,000, so I guessed it was 5,000MPa or 5GPa.

That really isn't that high, all things considered. Single walled nanotubes have been rated as at least 13 GPa, up to ~60GPa.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 13, 2010, 08:24:17 am »

Yeah it isn't extravangantly high, its most unusual property is the inflexibility. And its workability.
The carbon nanotubes that have strengths of over 60GPa have only recorded those strengths on nano-testing levels, because getting a uniform atomic thick tube and making billions of them to weave into a lattice is... time consuming at best.
Although, carbon nanotubes are very much anisotropic, along the tube they are much stronger.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 13, 2010, 11:25:21 am »

Yeah, the weirdest materials property of adamantine is the fact that its Young's Modulus is apparently infinity, or as close to that as makes no difference.  Its low density is a close second, but that's at least in the reasonable range for some sort of metallic foam or something (definitely not a solid metal).  The thought that solid adamantine is mostly hollow is supported by the fact that its density goes up by a factor of 13 when it melts. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 15, 2010, 09:46:51 am »

Isn't bronze better than iron IRL? Why did 31.12 change this to be otherwise?

Though bronze is generally harder than wrought iron, with Vickers hardness of 60–258 vs. 30–80, the Bronze Age gave way to the Iron Age; this happened because iron was easier to find
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:56:07 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 15, 2010, 01:52:17 pm »

It depends on what you call "iron". Pure iron is very brittle, yes, but the question is whether pure iron was used in weapon making at all.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 15, 2010, 05:17:51 pm »

Wrought iron (which is what is probably closest to what is used) is similar in properties, its a bit more brittle, but it holds its edge better. Because bronze is quite ductile - it dulls quickly.
Though really, you're right, bronze weapons are slightly better (only slightly) and the main reason for the iron age is generally considered to be ease of access.
So they should at least be about equal!

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 16, 2010, 01:50:40 pm »

Looking at the statistics, it makes me wonder why an Adamantine spear doesn't pierce as good as the other metals when facing Adamantine armour. For some reason, the Copper spear is far superior in getting past the armour itself.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 16, 2010, 03:15:15 pm »

I wouldn't worry about these few %. The tests are not THAT accurate, so the 9% might actually be a bit higher than average, while the 2% might be a bit low. In general, I would think in 10% classes. At first, I actually only wanted to use three classes, low, medium and high, but then I was too lazy to do the grouping function in the spreadsheet and just went with the %.
99 barrels of beer!

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 16, 2010, 08:31:16 pm »

edit: nm, I'm pretty stupid today.
マグマキッド

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 25, 2010, 07:08:25 am »

I'm trying to use the arena simulator with no luck.

I'll be testing Skilled X Unskilled with each weapon.

Here's my test definitions:
Sword - High Master x Dabbling/10
1/0/0/79/0:13,3:13,17:13,18:13,19:13/steel short sword:1,steel mail:1,steelbreast:1,steel helms:1,steel gaung:2,steel high:2,steel greav:1,steel shield:1
2/0/0/79/0:0/steel short sword:1,steel mail:1,steel breast:1,steel helms:1,steel gaung:2,steel high:2,steel greav:1,steel shield:1

Maybe i'm doing somethin wrong, but it runs the .exe many times. Is there a hotkey to start the tests?
Could you explain step by step how to run it?

Edit: Ok I manage to make it work. After they start fighting how do I export the fighting logs into the txt file?
Also, it is only running a single test. How do make it run the 10 tests?

Edit2: So I set to just run 1 test, and it created a file "df_arena_report_Sword - High Master x Dabbling.txt" now it is geting bigger and bigger. How bigger it gets? My is already 150mb!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 08:05:41 am by win32anon »

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 25, 2010, 11:53:21 am »

Well, if the fighting doesn't stop, the file will obviously get bigger and bigger. Or is the problem that it doesn't recognize the end of the fighting?
99 barrels of beer!

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 25, 2010, 12:52:27 pm »

It doesn't. Should I try turning it off myself?

Edit: I tried turning off after the fight finished and I got a 2mb file, the wierd part is that is empty, It has 1154977 lines of blank entries.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 01:21:38 pm by win32anon »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28