Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: Weapon research  (Read 148433 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Weapon research
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2010, 02:37:49 pm »

I haven't did major testing, but steel works great for traps. It's probably the best (other than adamantine), since all the traps are piercing or slashing - no blunt trap weapons.

Steel serrated disks are brutal.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2010, 02:40:31 pm »

We need to compare it to glass discs. Steel is too precious to waste on traps.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2010, 02:54:54 pm »

Steel? Precious?

What kinda fort are you running?

I currently have 173 steel bars, and my military is equipped entirely in masterwork steel gear. I already traded away probably 100 pieces (if not more) of lower quality steel gear that I didn't want. I have about 50 bins made of steel and many of my doors are made of steel. My trade depot is steel. All my magma pumps are made out of steel (steel block, steel pipe, steel screw). My entire dining room is made of steel chairs/tables.

I haven't even dented the amount of hematite, limonite, and magnetite that's available. All I've really mined out was two big magnetite clusters and a couple veins each of limonite/hematite. I also have 117 free dolomite sitting around waiting for more ore, with plenty more in the ground.

Steel is so abundant I don't know what to do with it all.

The only metal I see as precious is aluminum, you don't find that much of it. I trade for it in the caravans and currently have a crazy scheme of eventually replacing all the fortresses wooden barrels with aluminum barrels.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2010, 03:41:41 pm »

We need to compare it to glass discs. Steel is too precious to waste on traps.

AFAIK glass trap components already have been tested and found to be ineffective

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2010, 11:30:29 pm »

Steel? Precious?

What kinda fort are you running?

I currently have 173 steel bars, and my military is equipped entirely in masterwork steel gear. I already traded away probably 100 pieces (if not more) of lower quality steel gear that I didn't want. I have about 50 bins made of steel and many of my doors are made of steel. My trade depot is steel. All my magma pumps are made out of steel (steel block, steel pipe, steel screw). My entire dining room is made of steel chairs/tables.

I haven't even dented the amount of hematite, limonite, and magnetite that's available. All I've really mined out was two big magnetite clusters and a couple veins each of limonite/hematite. I also have 117 free dolomite sitting around waiting for more ore, with plenty more in the ground.

Steel is so abundant I don't know what to do with it all.

The only metal I see as precious is aluminum, you don't find that much of it. I trade for it in the caravans and currently have a crazy scheme of eventually replacing all the fortresses wooden barrels with aluminum barrels.

I find that steel is generally too much of a hassle to make to waste on things like tables and barrels and doors. Lead, zinc/brass, and (especially) nickel are all great materials for things like barrels and bins. Not really useful for much else, as they're not very valuable, and thus aren't good for trading, and you can't make weapons or armour out of them. Bronze would be my favourite material for weapons and armour until I get my steel industry running, and even then is still something I like to use. It's simple, easy to make, the raw materials are two of the most abundant minerals on the map, and if you're not using magma, it's incredibly fuel efficient if you make it from ore.
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2010, 04:08:53 am »

Lead barrels? Your dwarves must be some heavy metal fans indeed...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2010, 04:41:56 am »

*ba-dum tish*
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2010, 07:37:51 am »

If glass still works on flesh and you're stingy from conditioning back in 40d you could still make a quick row of traps to beat up the sneaky types running away because "gasp" they weren't able to walk all the way through your entryway without someone running near them.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Urist McTravis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2010, 11:00:35 am »

does anyone know where picks rate as weapons in 2010? i usually run a miners militia early game. wondering how efficient it is in this version.
Urist McTravis cancels breathe, playing dwarf fortress.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2010, 12:13:53 pm »

does anyone know where picks rate as weapons in 2010? i usually run a miners militia early game. wondering how efficient it is in this version.
Miners are great.  I've seen estimates that picks are about 70% as effective as a battleaxe of the same material.  However, even with the reduction in damage, miners generally have great skill in the use of their picks, since mining *and* combat with picks give mining xp.  Their usually higher weapon skill tends to lessen the damage gap until axedwarves max-out.  It's not uncommon for a miner to be my top goblin killer in the early game.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2010, 02:53:45 pm »

Miners are great.  I've seen estimates that picks are about 70% as effective as a battleaxe of the same material.  However, even with the reduction in damage, miners generally have great skill in the use of their picks, since mining *and* combat with picks give mining xp.  Their usually higher weapon skill tends to lessen the damage gap until axedwarves max-out.  It's not uncommon for a miner to be my top goblin killer in the early game.

You have struck goblinite!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 01, 2010, 12:20:38 pm »

Dwarven SCIENCE like this is what makes me love df.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 01, 2010, 03:28:25 pm »

I've updated the tables with wound information. Noone has provided any wound classification, so I've used this:
Code: [Select]
@pattern_wounds = ("bruising the \(fat\|skin\|muscle\|bone\)\|tearing apart the \(fat\|skin\)\|shattering the nail",
"shattering the bone\|jamming\|tearing the muscle\|tearing apart the muscle\|tendon has been torn",
"severed\|artery has been opened");
First line is light wounds, second medium and third heavy. If this is not good enough for you, feel free to use your own patterns and reprocess the information (you need the combat logs and calculate_details.pl, which you can get in the original post).

I'll eventually upload a spreadsheet with all the data for further analysis, but this is manual labor and might take a while...
99 barrels of beer!

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 01, 2010, 07:32:55 pm »

Despite my earlier comments dismissing the necessity of crossbow tests, they do seem to behave differently than cc weapons. I've tested e.g. adamantine bolts, and they were pretty useless. Anyone has some insight already or should I begin to run some tests on my own?
99 barrels of beer!

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2010, 08:27:42 pm »

Despite my earlier comments dismissing the necessity of crossbow tests, they do seem to behave differently than cc weapons. I've tested e.g. adamantine bolts, and they were pretty useless. Anyone has some insight already or should I begin to run some tests on my own?

Ranged weapons have a hard speed cap for the projectiles.  I'm not certain, but I think it might be quite low, which means most bolts are reaching this speed limit and thus force is being mostly determined by projectile weight.  That's my theory at least.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28