Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Axedwarves vs. Axe-elves, a scientific test  (Read 4973 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Axedwarves vs. Axe-elves, a scientific test
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2010, 09:26:08 pm »

Sigh, that's what they were born with, dwarves get an unfair advantage if they get a metal weapon and the elves get a wooden one, since it does 50% less damage, in ten dwarven turns, the dwarf could deal 10 BADU (Battle Axe Damage Units since I don't know how to read the raws yet.), the elf could deal out ~6 BADU, so the dwarf gets a MAJOR advantage.

How I got the elf was:
Step 1, multiply 10x900 (the dwarf's speed)
Step 2, divide by 700
Step 3, divide by 2 (50% damage)

Try it yourself, I will come out right.

The elf would get only a ~3 BADU bonus if he used metal, and it is on the same terms, since the equipment is the same, but you think it's unfair just because he is faster, well, is it unfair to go up against someone who can click faster then you in a game?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:46:12 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »

Sigh, that's what they were born with, dwarves get an unfair advantage if they get a metal weapon and the elves get a wooden one, since it does 50% less damage, in ten dwarven turns, the dwarf could deal 10 BADU (Battle Axe Damage Units since I don't know how to read the raws yet.), the elf could deal out ~6 BADU, so the dwarf gets a MAJOR advantage.

How I got the elf was:
Step 2, divide by 700

The elf would get only a ~3 BADU bonus if he used metal, and it is on the same terms, since the equipment is the same, but you think it's unfair just because he is faster, well, is it unfair to go up against someone who can click faster then you in a game?
How did you figure the wooden weapon does 50% less damage than a metal one?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2010, 02:11:28 pm »

How I got the elf was:
Step 2, divide by 700

How did you figure the wooden weapon does 50% less damage than a metal one?
Where does it say it is not 50%? what else would I have substituted 50% with?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2010, 02:15:35 pm »

In the old version wood was 50% the effectiveness of iron. With the new material system its alot more complex.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2010, 02:20:11 pm »

So, that means it could go either way? I just had to compare it, because Meanmelter was getting on my nerves.

So yeah, I guess we can't compare wood to iron.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2010, 02:24:37 pm »

In this version damage is based on material properties, there is no simple damage modifier or number to use.

I don't know how its calculated exactly, and it COULD be 50%, I was just asking.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2010, 04:27:15 pm »

I've been doing some comparison tests of different weapons under different circumstances.  In 35 tests, battle axes beat short swords 18-15.  (The missing 2 tests were ties).  This was without armor or associated skills.  When comparing axes with spears, axes won 21-13.  Axes seem to be best overall and hacking/slashing weapons are in general better against unarmored foes.  It should be noted that most of these fights were to the first or second blood; one solid hit was pretty devastating.

Armor testing is delayed by my school work.  Preliminary experimentation shows that these are very much battles of attrition; exhaustion begins to take over long before any serious damage is done.

All tests were done with special dwarves modified to lack variations or infection.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2010, 04:53:14 pm »

Cacame immediately chopped Urist's middle finger off,

I love how Urist apparently stopped to flip him the bird before the first fight started.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2010, 07:23:22 pm »

hacking/slashing weapons...  unarmored...  It should be noted that most of these fights were to the first or second blood; one solid hit was pretty devastating.

For the record, this is not entirely unrealistic.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2010, 09:00:06 pm »

hacking/slashing weapons...  unarmored...  It should be noted that most of these fights were to the first or second blood; one solid hit was pretty devastating.

For the record, this is not entirely unrealistic.
Especially when they are completely naked.  Fights between armored axedwarves and armored speardwarves resulted in slightly more even results.  Axedwarves usually had trouble dealing serious damage, so they had to hope for severs.  Speardwarves had more consistent damage but still failed to get those "kill shots."
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]