Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF has invaded my mind.  (Read 4456 times)

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF has invaded my mind.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 11:09:59 pm »

"Unobtanium," are you ****ing kidding me...?

I don't mind it, i think it only gets referenced, what? twice? and its better than some overly complex name that makes it seem as if they tried too hard and came up with something lame.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 02:08:13 am »

My favourite metal happens to be Germanium. It reminds me of... better times.
Also this: http://news.techworld.com/operating-systems/6260/ibm-shows-500-gigahertz-chip/

On the mind invading issue: I sometimes dream in ASCII.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 04:57:53 am »

I had...a strange dream

I wanted to make an artifact and only managed to get one thing I wanted (out of the ten things I sketched) and went stark raving mad in where I proceeded to strip off all my clothes and run down the the supermarket.

Strange  ???
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 05:06:21 am »

After a grand mal siezure and during a feverish six hours of vomiting into a garbage can and drunkenly rolling back over to freeze on top of blankets I was too mentally shellshocked to pull myself, under, what do I manage to dream?

ASCII tiles.

And during the fifteen minutes prior, after the siezure was over but I was too weak to get off the floor and crawl into bed, what was going through my head? Fortress designs.

Pages and pages and games and games worth of fortress designs. I was like the fucking Rainman. Dining halls and mausoleums and forge chambers and armories and rows upon rows of beautiful shining steel [ marks poured through my head. I was sick I tell you, sick! I was fucking LUCENTLY CREATING MASTERPIECES at the same time my body couldn't wipe the drool off my mouth. It was unreal.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:48 am »

My brother in law fishes. the other day he caught a carp. mentally i had an image of a pondside strewn with "eaten in half" fishermen, with my brother in law standing triumphantly over the corpses of the fallen, holding his prize aloft, roaring. if i hovered over him with the veiw unit menu i would probably see him as being a expert fisherman, tough and agile. bonus: he is also a skilled mechanic.
This is a blank sig.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 08:12:12 am »

Only DF players and geologists get this irratated by silly names for metals. I approve greatly!
It bothered me too, because it's an offhand phrase scriptwriters use to refer to generic plot objects, specifically a plot object the protagonist needs that's arbitrarily difficult to acquire in order to facilitate plot momentum. Calling it unobtanium is about as bad as if the case in Pilp Fiction was explicitly referred to as "a Macguffin brand briefcase."

Actually; though I agree completely with the unobtanium thing because of the fact that it's so very blatent, the use of "A MacGuffin brand briefcase" would be more acceptable to me, as "MacGuffin" is an actual person's name in the real world, and it drips with satirical humor.

"Unobtanium" holds no such satirical value, and therefore is just stupid. Might as well have just named it Plotpointium.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 08:17:07 am »

Also, on topic: My sig should get across just how thoroughly DF has invaded my daily life.

My girlfriend regularly makes fun of my Dwarf Fortress habits, at one point prompting a long discussion where I had to explain to her the depth to which the little dwarves (I use a tileset) have their own little story and whatnot going on, and that it's better than a book because you firstly interact with it on a puzzle-solving and planning level, and second the same level of imagery arrives, and in my head I can see the bustling dwarves going through their forced mishaps daily lives, and fighting their epic battles. After a few examples, she conceded that it wasn't as silly as she thought.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Swivelguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 08:19:15 am »

Back on topic:

There was once a rotting raccoon corpse on the road I take every morning to the bus stop, and every time I'd pass by it I would imagine the surroundings in DF-style descriptions, including the miasma cloud.

Whenever there's roadkill along my bike route to work, I keep expecting it to magically have turned into a pile of bones the next time I see it.

Back off topic:

I didn't get the impression that unobtainium was actually the name in use for that mineral. I think the boss-man just calls it that to emphasize its value (and because he isn't a scientist).

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 08:30:16 am »

My favorite part was the part where it made me think:

"Great! They blew up the fucking elf tree! Take that, cannibals!"
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 10:10:15 am »

I had...a strange dream

I wanted to make an artifact and only managed to get one thing I wanted (out of the ten things I sketched) and went stark raving mad in where I proceeded to strip off all my clothes and run down the the supermarket.

Strange  ???
You sure it was just a dream?

@OP: do not worry, almost everyone here has 'Dwarf moment' from time to time and almost all Dwarf-postitive players had at least one dream in ASCII, including me.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Peteł

• Bay Watcher
  • Mentlegen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 01:50:16 pm »

On Avatar: mediocre story, excellent presentation. I so wanted to finally have a realistic mech/aircraft/jungle combat game after watching it. And considering the new Resident Evil movie is being shot with the same equipment and will as such provide nearly the same level of convincing pseudo-3D-movie-goodness, I also can not wait for that.

On Topic: ASCII dreams that turn into first-person melee brawlers, like shift-clicking your minions in good ol' dungeon keeper. Other than that, I've not been playing enough DF lately for it to mess with my head on noticeable levels. Unless thinking "Great, someone dug too deep.." upon seeing circus arrival announcements counts..

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 03:59:28 pm »

Also, on topic: My sig should get across just how thoroughly DF has invaded my daily life.

My girlfriend regularly makes fun of my Dwarf Fortress habits, at one point prompting a long discussion where I had to explain to her the depth to which the little dwarves (I use a tileset) have their own little story and whatnot going on, and that it's better than a book because you firstly interact with it on a puzzle-solving and planning level, and second the same level of imagery arrives, and in my head I can see the bustling dwarves going through their forced mishaps daily lives, and fighting their epic battles. After a few examples, she conceded that it wasn't as silly as she thought.
I've had similar conversations with people that has actually left several impressed with the whole concept and even gotten a couple others hooked on the game. The only reason my dad didn't pick the game up was because it's just too dense for him.

My best example of the dynamic narrative was a time where I had a pretty good fort going with a barony and proper guard and everything, but during an attack one or two goblins managed to get past the guards and into the fort proper. They didn't actually do that much damage on their own, only one or two casualties, but the big problem wasn't how many they killed it was who they killed. One was a forgettable chump, but the other was apparently everyone's friend. The death of this one dwarf made a lot of other dwarves unhappy. Now for most this wasn't that big a problem, but in expanding to a Barony so fast I'd not spent as much time working on other smaller details of the fort. So a couple of my lower-class workers, already a little unhappy due to near-homelessness (I was short a dozen housing units or so) and mediocre work, start getting really upset, throwing tantrums. Now, these tantrums aren't normally that big a deal if the fort is in good standing, since usually an angry dwarf will go to their bunk and pout it out there. Except these dwarves didn't have a bunk, so they start throwing their tantrums in the halls, the forges, the stockrooms, and the dining rooms. Some of them get upset enough that they punch another dwarf. They feel a bit better, but then they remember that they're homeless and jobless and their best friend just died, and now the guy they punched is also in a bad mood. That guy then punches someone else, who punches someone else, and eventually someone punches someone who's holding a crossbow.

After the civil war... the baron, the dungeon master, and seventy other dwarves were dead, while in the middle of the carnage, brother slaying brother, one of my young dwarves, on the verge of adulthood, entered a creative fugue, locked herself in a workshop, and crafted the artifact Glimmeralderung, a horse skull scepter! When all was said and done the population was decimated, several workshops were demolished, and every shop, save one, had been torn down in anger. Almost every dwarf remaining was a wanted criminal for multiple murders. A few more migrants dared to settle there, knowing it oculd be their tomb, but after a couple unfortunate drownings in a failed well building the place was declared a wasteland and no more migrants would come. The halls, built for hundreds, were just too empty for the couple dozen remaining, and those who were left abandoned that terrible place.

Okay, that sounds like a happenstance, one in a million moments that could happen in almost any game if you're willing to read into it, but these kinds of emergent narratives are common in Dwarf Fortress, a confluence of graphics that are just good enough to tell you what's happening and an absolute overflow of data behind everything.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 04:22:25 pm »

Quote from: Blackburn
Only DF players and geologists get this irratated by silly names for metals. I approve greatly!
It bothered me too, because it's an offhand phrase scriptwriters use to refer to generic plot objects, specifically a plot object the protagonist needs that's arbitrarily difficult to acquire in order to facilitate plot momentum. Calling it unobtanium is about as bad as if the case in Pilp Fiction was explicitly referred to as "a Macguffin brand briefcase."
Actually; though I agree completely with the unobtanium thing because of the fact that it's so very blatent, the use of "A MacGuffin brand briefcase" would be more acceptable to me, as "MacGuffin" is an actual person's name in the real world, and it drips with satirical humor.

"Unobtanium" holds no such satirical value, and therefore is just stupid. Might as well have just named it Plotpointium.
That's actually why it ticked me off, not because I'm overdosed on DF.

I could also accept "MacGuffin-brand briefcase" because that's actually funny (I might use that), and can still make sense. Unobtanium ticks me off because...TEN YEARS! TEN YEARS AND THIS IS ALL THEY WROTE! BLUE NATIVE AMERICAN MARY SUES WITH PLUG-IN HAIR!

On Avatar: mediocre story, excellent presentation. I so wanted to finally have a realistic mech/aircraft/jungle combat game after watching it. And considering the new Resident Evil movie is being shot with the same equipment and will as such provide nearly the same level of convincing pseudo-3D-movie-goodness, I also can not wait for that.
Must display self-control...must...not...rant about horrible RE movies...

If I start dreaming in ASCII, I might seek therapy.

...I hope that one day, DF will be popular enough to spawn a dwarf-themed metal band.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 04:53:21 pm »

...I hope that one day, DF will be popular enough to spawn a dwarf-themed metal band.
Didn't Savatage already do that?

Stakudomer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 05:12:37 pm »

Just yesterday, as I was listening to the radio in the car and looking forward to trying out the new version when I got home, I thought to myself, "'World Jen and the Hist Figs' would make an awesome band name."
Pages: 1 [2] 3