Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1234502 times)

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.46: come get your war elephants!)
« Reply #1800 on: July 30, 2010, 03:38:09 pm »

Nice animals! Zoomed in and it does indeed look like the confusion is caused by the uh.. Wolf-Beard. Is there a more proper word for hair growth on the face of a Wolf at any rate. It's more like sideburns. :-p

---

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #1801 on: July 30, 2010, 03:39:05 pm »

Nice animals! Zoomed in and it does indeed look like the confusion is caused by the uh.. Wolf-Beard. Is there a more proper word for hair growth on the face of a Wolf at any rate. It's more like sideburns. :-p

---

The appropriate term (on several levels) is muttonchop.  :)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (wolves!)
« Reply #1802 on: July 30, 2010, 04:26:34 pm »

Are these better?

The first one had the head better aligned with the pose somehow. The head don't seem to cooperate with the body mainly because of the neck area on this one, as far as I can tell. Had to look at both versions, and at some pictures of Wolves first. the jaw is also better separated in the initial version.

The neck shape might not be wrong per se it is how the shadowing applies. The yeah.. muttonchops do go up to the top of the neck, but the shadowing obscure it a bit. The Wolf should be quite ready as it stands, this *is* nitpicking.

(The silly site i found had pictures of humans, like it's hard to spot them. Hah! )

P.S.

Thanks Ratbert_CP, not a word easily looked up, so genuine insight is appreciated over the pesky interweb sometimes. ;)

P.P.S.

Love the Mandrill!!!

---
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:52:44 pm by Thundrim »

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 30, 2010, 04:38:28 pm »

Alright, WormSlayer, on the assumption that youze guys will pick and choose according to how many of the newly-available tiles are available for plant variation, here's a sort of brainstorming cheeky wish-list for plant tiles (they are prioritized from flat out YUSH THIS MUST HAPPEN OR THE KITTEN GETS IT at the top to plaintive, cheeky, whiny little nibs that could probably be quite happily lived without at the bottom):

• Picked flower bunch (the stone works okay, and I very much like how you can use the mixed tones to produce better color variation, but it would be very nice to have something bunched with stems or something)
  • The original grain graphic (unimaginative, I know, but I really liked it, and it would provide for some nice variation) -- hopefully with the foreground color on the top fruit/bud/flower elements, not on the stem
  • Fruit trees, with foreground color determining color of fruit lobes
  • A plant graphic inbetween bush and grain/grass-type tile -- something that would go well for aloes/agaves and the like with one color green and the other black, but more filled out for things like ferns with both colors green -- 161 is what I'm using for these sorts of things right now, but something a bit taller, and a bit bushier when filled out with both colors
  • Right now, the sapling doesn't have any additional effects assigned to the background color -- perhaps more leaves on the side, to make for a sort of more treeish bush?  (I'm thinking, say, tea plant.)  Either that, or a separate one like this so that confusion between plants and tree saplings can be avoided (though this part of this particular suggestion I'd place fairly lower in priority).
  • A tile that could be used for a cluster of berries or nuts.
  • A vine-type plant.
  • Possibly something akin to bamboo/hemp-type plants (unless I missed something that's good for it?)
  • Possibly a different fruit tile to use with things like prickly pears instead of the star/web icon
  • A second, smaller cactus (I'm using the mechanisms icon for now, but it'd be preferable, assuming the space for relatively low-priority things like this, to have one that goes along with the more side-perspective style of other plants).
  • Either on the existing cactus, or on the suggested one above, possibly make it to allow for little nubs that could be either flowers or fruits if colored, or a standard green cactus if not.
  • A specific underwater plant tile (for kelp, etc.) would be great aesthetically, but, functionally, who's going to be harvesting this stuff anyway?  Aside from OC megaprojects to temporarily drain oceans for seaweed harvesting   ::)

That is all, for now.  (Is that it?  How about asking for a foot massage, too, Mr. Demanding ChickenLips??)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:09:04 pm by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (making critters!)
« Reply #1804 on: July 30, 2010, 06:05:19 pm »

Thanks ChickenLips, will keep a copy of that list for reference :) Saplings seem to only be allowed one colour :(

Trees:

Broadleaf 1, 2, 3 - Conifer - Willow - Cacti - Spore Tree using Willow - Dead 1 & 2 - Bloodthorn - Featherwood - Highwood - Glumprong

They actually look a bit different in-game... Maybe RTS isnt using Ironhand's palette or something?

Wolves:
Definitely better - But the pose doesnt really say howling wolf to me. *Cliché howling wolf silhouette*
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:51:13 pm by WormSlayer »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 30, 2010, 06:43:49 pm »

Are these better?
Yes, very much so! I like the wolf pup especially, it's very cute.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: July 30, 2010, 08:39:17 pm »

That bloodthorn looks like it could double pretty easily as a dead tree. Which might be a good or a bad thing...

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1807 on: July 30, 2010, 09:24:50 pm »

I have soo many rope vines on my current map I had to make a vine-like tile:

For now, it's going to replace the ↔ character unless that one is actually used somewhere?

(Also made the special tree a bit thinner.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:29:16 pm by WormSlayer »

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: July 30, 2010, 10:01:59 pm »

I have soo many rope vines on my current map I had to make a vine-like tile:

For now, it's going to replace the ↔ character unless that one is actually used somewhere?

(Also made the special tree a bit thinner.)

Like the details on the trees. Starting to worry about the standard that's being set here. Commercial games back in the days when pixels ruled the Digital Earth would have problems keeping up. But it's good to be excited over small things again, it truly is. Feeling like I'm 18 again, well apart from the decades that passed since then.

Wiki has little to say about tile 29 on row 02, a double arrow. So maybe it's available by the merit of not having a listed use. Toad-knows.

*It's actually listed with some others at the very bottom as perfect for changing tiles as they have no use. :-p

---
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:05:56 pm by Thundrim »

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: July 30, 2010, 10:09:23 pm »

Excellent!  Really nice vine.  Perfect for the job. I like.  Will it be flowerable?  (Little spots of foreground highlight color or anything -- or are the two colors used for branch color and leaf color?)

Wolves and pups, I like too.

Impressions on the other trees: I have to pretty much agree -- great work!  Likewise, my least favorite is the willow -- the shape throws me off (particularly the uper-left portion of it), but it may be just that I'm used to the old one.  And for the special tree set, they look really good for the most part, but I get one tiny hang-up with them -- when zoomed out they have this sort of fishgill-ish or hairdo-ish look to them.  I don't know if it hits anyone else's eyes like it hits mine, but it seems to me like the lines between the boughs are very bold --breaking then up a bit would go a long way toward eliminating that effect.  Again, though, could just be me, and I could very well live with it.  One way or another, very, very good-looking trees.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:11:09 pm by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1810 on: July 30, 2010, 11:32:41 pm »

Making all these tiny sprites has been quite nostalgic for me too. First game I modded was in about 1986 - Repton on the BBC Micro :D

The vine is currently using it's two colours for the brown stems and green leaves, but I could put the brown and green onto the rgb layer and put some berries into the alpha.

Edit: Like this :D

Plain - Leafy - Fruiting

The branches of the special trees are somewhat crappy because I've tried to work bloodthorn into the same tile. It is probably better off just using a normal dead tree tile for now and I'll pretty up the special tree.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:53:13 pm by WormSlayer »

Zulithe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 31, 2010, 01:25:32 am »

wow WormSlayer I never would have guessed you were that old. :) Great to see you are still at it (and still have mad spriting skills!)

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: July 31, 2010, 01:32:32 am »

Trees are great and all but what about ROCKS. The only time I look at trees in the game is when I lay a great swathe of chop trees designation over them. It's not as if you can plant them or anything (not like dwarves should be planting trees anyway).

Let's face it, the majority of the game is spent staring at rocks and stuff made from rocks :)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 31, 2010, 03:17:26 am »

Ironhand and Wormslayer; this work right here easily surpasses any other graphical tilesets as of right now, in my own personal opinion. Everytime I check this thread, I'm confronted with something new that often bewilders and amazes me. How you guys bring life and spunk to this already amazing game, never fails to captivate me. Keep up the amazing work,  bless you guys for all your dedication.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: July 31, 2010, 05:56:58 am »

Indeed, I think how many of us out here are late 30-somethings and early 40-somethings would be shocking to you spring chickens.  :P

I hadn't thought of it that way, but, yeah, it is a bit nostalgic.

Edit: Like this :D

Plain - Leafy - Fruiting

Awesome.  That's exactly what I was thinking would be perfect, but didn't know how to ask it in an intelligent way. :D

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 329