Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: God help me, I was only 19  (Read 4466 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: God help me, I was only 19
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 01:39:26 pm »

In answer to the OP, it'd depend entirely on what the fighting was about. Something like WW2, where you're fighting to free entire nations of people from genocide, then yeah I'd be ok fighting for that. But if it was a war for political power, or monetary gain, or anythin like that then I'd take a court marshal or whatever they do to pacifists in those situations.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 01:41:05 pm »

Because it's that clear cut.  ::)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 01:42:56 pm »

Because it's that clear cut.  ::)
I some cases it can be, I bet the jewish people in Hitler's concentration camps didn't think there was any grey area in the war.
Nom nom nom

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 01:44:38 pm »

In answer to the OP, it'd depend entirely on what the fighting was about. Something like WW2, where you're fighting to free entire nations of people from genocide, then yeah I'd be ok fighting for that.
I'm pretty sure that wasn't the reason any nation joined WW2.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 01:47:40 pm »

In answer to the OP, it'd depend entirely on what the fighting was about. Something like WW2, where you're fighting to free entire nations of people from genocide, then yeah I'd be ok fighting for that.

quoted for truth.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 01:50:51 pm »

Sure, I'd be okay with joining. If I wasn't up for an okay job after school, I might have enlisted, actually. It was one of my options before college that I didn't let anyone know about.

I guess it comes from having been in a bunch of fights already. I could lose myself in learning the tactics, the little strategems of fighting.

Dealing with the killing would be hard, of course. If I was in a combat role.

In fact, we didn't know about any of Hitler's atrocities until far after the war. We were just like, "Hey, some guys attacked us. Let's fuck up them and all their allies."
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 01:51:46 pm »

It would depend. I probably wouldn't make it to the front lines, seeing as I am in no way physically strong. I'd get a job as a CIA analyst, in the NSA, helping develop weapon systems or defense systems, or as a student in a university. Something where I'm able to avoid the draft, because that's about the only way I'd be in the military.

If I had to be fighting, it would be as an operator for a UAV system.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 02:22:41 pm »

In fact, we didn't know about any of Hitler's atrocities until far after the war. We were just like, "Hey, some guys attacked us. Let's fuck up them and all their allies."
[/quote]

We didn't know the full extent till after the war but we knew something was happening. It still wasn't the reason anyone joined though
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 02:24:57 pm »

It may not be wise for me to speak here, as most everyone here is anti-war (which is a wise stance) and few are exactly pro-military.

I did make the decision to join the armed forces when I was 17. As soon as I graduated high school I shipped off to basic training.

As far as killing people ... well. You have to understand that every Soldier, Sailor, Marine, or Airman is tasked with doing work in a certain field. Mine was engineering. Most servicepersons do not shoot at people. On the other hand, all servicepersons should expect that possibility.

I joined out of patriotism and love of my community. Yeah, a lot of you will argue that I fell for propaganda and marketing. Maybe that's so. I did not join to murder anyone. And I admit ... I wondered how I would do if situations got out of control or a war broke out. Of course, war(s) did break out.

I'll say this, though, and this is probably the only important part of my post:

When you end up in a frightening place you aren't supposed to be in, or if you are told to do something very dangerous that isn't even necessarily your "job" to do, you won't be thinking about why the war is even happening. It won't matter at that moment.

What will matter is that you watch your friends' back. That is truly what it comes down to. Most of us are very caring people -- that's what drives you to fight, in the end. I'm a humanist. I love life. But I'm merely human myself, so I want to protect the people I love, my extended family in uniform.

Anyway, let the flames commence. I'm not a nationalist, but I do love my country. I love every country that I've visited (except one, which shames me).

But, yeah, most people in the military aren't frontline killers. Only a small percentage are infantry / cavalry / go outside the wire on patrol. Most are in normalish jobs. Radiomen. Cooks. Mechanics. Drivers. Corpsmen. IT guys. Fire control guys. Electricians. You name it, they have a job for it. Even journalism and photography!

Of course, you don't really get to pick your job. You get to choose from a pool assigned to you at MEPs based on your ASVAB / experience / what is needed at the time. In the end you go where they tell you to go and do what they tell you to do.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 02:42:19 pm »

I remember reading this news article where a US general was talking about how the military was changing their boot camp routine to accommodate the newer generation of people game too much, live in cities or suburbs or the like. He also insinuated that they needed to make the newer recruits less cocky, hehehe.

Can't remember where in the life of me I read it though.

There's nothing wrong with joining the military too. Another good reason is that if you make officer, it looks great on the resume. Not to mention you get to one up everyone you meet. Just don't commit atrocities like those freaking Apache pilots in 2007.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 02:43:14 pm »

Look, SeaBee, while most of us here(all?) are anti-war, I don't think anyone is anti-military, so don't worry.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 02:44:24 pm »

I'm anti-military, whatever that means.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 02:46:20 pm »

Look, SeaBee, while most of us here(all?) are anti-war, I don't think anyone is anti-military, so don't worry.
ya not all, I'm not  anti-war, if someone steps foot on my homeland and claims it's *theirs* I'll be shooting faster then they can get a flag up.
Nom nom nom

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 03:05:16 pm »

Bah. Should've made it more clear. Nobody in their right mind can say that having an army is not necessary. So serving in the army should not be a stigma, it's a job like any other and it's purpose is noble(defending the country from aggression).
Pro-war would be wanting to go to war for any other reason than self(as a country) defence.

Now that I look at it, it's very subjective definition of what is and isn't a war. Oh, well.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 03:09:07 pm »

That's true. It's very admirable I think, joining the military. I think a lot of people believe the same. Shows you have dedication, discipline, and loyalty if anything. Not to mention you learn very useful skills as well as military management techniques, which are actually very impressive. The only reason the military seems to be run so inefficiently is probably because of the size and scale of their operation.

In any case, I think it's great. Not easy, but that's what makes it great.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6