Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229678 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eeeep.  I'm glad you responded... I had got as far as "cp Genesis/ASCII/raw/objects/* Dwarf\ Fortress/raw/objects/" (etc.), and also "mv raw/graphics/orcs.PNG raw/graphics/orcs.png" (I'm pretty sure that bug has been in it for months, if not years -- I had to do that last time I played with Genesis), but I probably would have been stuck on the YESALCHEMY thing for some time.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

If you use the modloader and set everything to Yes (which i think is the deafult anyway) then modding the raws is no different from the time before.

@deon:
I remember that you had a problem with running Dwarf Therapist by simply clicking a button. In the newest version you open the Therapist folder instead, yes ?

If you still want to use the button directly, here is the fix:

Code: [Select]
  Private Sub TherapistButton_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)Handles TherapistButton.Click
        RunFileByBatchTherapist("DwarfTherapist.exe", therapistD)
    End Sub

You have to assign the fitting folder, in this case therapistD. I  added this line: 
Const therapistD = MasterworkDwarfFortressD + "\Utilities\Dwarftherapist" For you I guess it is GenesisD instead of MasterworkDwarfFortressD

The script above targets another script called RunFileByBatchTherapist. This one you have to add to the fileworking.vbI gave it the dwarf therapist directory directly, and added Therapist to the name, so I can find it again. Here the code:

Sub RunFileByBatchTherapist(ByVal fileName As String, Optional ByVal path As String = "DwarfTherapist.exe")

'if we only have a fileName, assume it is a full path, and seperate the filename from the directory
        If path = "" Then
            path = fileName
            Dim dSplit = Split(path, "\") 'create an array out of directory structure
            fileName = dSplit(dSplit.Length - 1) 'only return last item (will be the file name)
            path = path.Substring(0, path.Length - fileName.Length) 'returns the path (before the filename)
        End If

Dim bName = "runProgram.bat"
        Dim batch = _
        "@ECHO off" + vbCrLf + _
        "SETLOCAL" + vbCrLf + _
        "CD %~dp0" + vbCrLf + _
        "START """" " + """" + fileName + """" + vbCrLf + _
        "start /min cmd /c del /q %~s0" 'deletes self afterwards

FileWorking.SaveFile(bName, path, batch) 'create the batch file
        FileWorking.RunFile(bName, path) 'run the batch file

End Sub

Hope that helps. :)
I am currently splitting my GUI into smaller parts, so people have more options. Besides that, fixing bugs and inbalances, but I guess you have seen the thread ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Yep, I should definitely release a non-modloader version for all non-windows folks to see easier.

You basically get ../dwarf fortress/ directory, and then you can get any of the tilesets from the ../genesis folder and just overwrite appropriate files. It's all written in Visual Basic because I am a terrible coder and I used LNP code as a base :P.

What about YESALCHEMY? :P You only need it if you want to toggle some stuff off.

Thank you, Meph! Awesome, such an easy solution which I neglected to look up :). High five!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play

Looking to create a good Genesis world, but need some help. I know what the settings do (most of them) but I ruined more than one world changing them too much, so would like to know useful limits. If you folks could give advice on subtle changes to the AWG to move toward what I am looking for below I would appreciate it.

I assume for Genesis to get all the races you need all the biomes (dunedwellers need deserts, ect.) so that's necessary.

I like large worlds with minerals everywhere. I would like a world with more than average mountains, more than average temperate (maybe leaning slightly warm to reduce the number of freezing water in the winter embarks), and more than average medium savagery. Lets say 60% moderate, 20% good, 20% evil, and 20% savage, 20% calm. (temp should follow that pattern as well, 60% slightly warm, 20% each hot and cold ranges).

I like larger, more open caves. When the setting for cavern openness is expressed as 0-100 in the AWG, does that mean it randomly picks a number and applies that to the whole world, or does it randomly pick a number for each and every embark square that could be different? I usually change openness from the base of 0-100 to 50-100 and density from 0-100 to 0-50. Is that too much of a change or maybe even not enough (for fertile (that is, plants everywhere), wide open caverns with a high % chance of underground lakes)? I don't need it to be obscene (100 openness, 0 density), just nicely more open and less dense than vanilla.

I'd like enough history and civs so all the races exist and are established, but not so much there is abandoned stuff everywhere and it it overcrowded. I usually go 250 years, would you recommend more or less?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:54:18 pm by MAurelius »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, I was too lazy to write a user interface to mimic the effects of the modloader program.  So here's a simple shell script that does what I personally wanted, which was "ASCII, enable everything":

#!/bin/sh

if [ -f Dwarf\ Fortress/raw/graphics/orcs.PNG ]; then
  echo "Found misnamed orcs.png; fixing"
  mv Dwarf\ Fortress/raw/graphics/orcs.PNG Dwarf\ Fortress/raw/graphics/orcs.png
fi

cd Genesis/ASCII || exit
echo "Copying ASCII files"
find . -type f -print | pax -rw ../../Dwarf\ Fortress/

cd ../../Dwarf\ Fortress/raw || exit

# Construct perl script to perform all desired modification enabling.
p=''
printf %s "Enabling mods:"
for mod in ALCHEMY BAKING BEASTMEN BONFIRE CENTAURS DECORATIVE DEMONS \
   DUNEDWELLERS DUSKELVES GENITALIA GOBLINS GRAZER HFS ILLITHIDS \
   KEEPERS KOBOLDS LIBRARY NIGHTCREATURE NORDS ORCS SCAVENGERS \
   SERPENTFOLK SYLVANS TRAINING WHEELBARROW
do
  p="$p s/YES$mod//;"
  printf ' %s' "$mod"
done
echo
find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 perl -pi -e "$p"

It's intended to be run from the top level directory, where the mod loader .exe is.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ashnal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, I was too lazy to write a user interface to mimic the effects of the modloader program.  So here's a simple shell script that does what I personally wanted, which was "ASCII, enable everything":

It's intended to be run from the top level directory, where the mod loader .exe is.

That really isn't necessary, since everything is enabled by default. You only need to tweak if you want to turn things off ....

EDIT: Also, I'm no Linux/Perl expert, but I see nothing to do with the [ and ] brackets in your script, which are removed to turn a feature off, or added back to turn it on for each tag with the identifier.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:54:19 pm by Ashnal »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

To explain how the modloader works:

It replaces YESNAME[ with NONAME. The [ is then missing, and DF does not recognize the correct tag anymore. It is very, very simple. You can, as mentioned, just edit and alter the raws as you want. Nothing did change, except that the modloader might not work properly anymore.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It mod loader won't let me set frame limit above 100, and misses the put pets in coffin opition, although probably wrong place to say this..

otherwsie awesome.

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deon, as always, thank you for all your hard work.

Modloader is an amusing diversion, but there's still 5 settings i had to change manually.

Why does the DFHack window always pop up, and why can't I close it, it find it terribly annoying.

The IRONWOOD_MAKING reaction appears to have an error, I believe REAGENT:A should be as follows...
[REACTION:IRONWOOD_MAKING]
[NAME:enchant ironwood]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:IRONWOOD:WOOD]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:SPELLWOOD]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

I always add this to the end of reaction_ironworks.txt.  I can never have enough ash.  Dunno if you'd like to add it to Genesis or not.
[REACTION:ASH_BURNING]
[NAME:make ash (furnace)]
[BUILDING:FURNACE_CHARCOAL:CUSTOM_A]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:ASH:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:WOOD_BURNING]

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looking to create a good Genesis world, but need some help. I know what the settings do (most of them) but I ruined more than one world changing them too much, so would like to know useful limits. If you folks could give advice on subtle changes to the AWG to move toward what I am looking for below I would appreciate it.

I assume for Genesis to get all the races you need all the biomes (dunedwellers need deserts, ect.) so that's necessary.

I like large worlds with minerals everywhere. I would like a world with more than average mountains, more than average temperate (maybe leaning slightly warm to reduce the number of freezing water in the winter embarks), and more than average medium savagery. Lets say 60% moderate, 20% good, 20% evil, and 20% savage, 20% calm. (temp should follow that pattern as well, 60% slightly warm, 20% each hot and cold ranges).

I like larger, more open caves. When the setting for cavern openness is expressed as 0-100 in the AWG, does that mean it randomly picks a number and applies that to the whole world, or does it randomly pick a number for each and every embark square that could be different? I usually change openness from the base of 0-100 to 50-100 and density from 0-100 to 0-50. Is that too much of a change or maybe even not enough (for fertile (that is, plants everywhere), wide open caverns with a high % chance of underground lakes)? I don't need it to be obscene (100 openness, 0 density), just nicely more open and less dense than vanilla.

I'd like enough history and civs so all the races exist and are established, but not so much there is abandoned stuff everywhere and it it overcrowded. I usually go 250 years, would you recommend more or less?

Thanks!

Tweaking the biomes is bothersome and complex your better off relying on the default setting, minerals = 9000 is a good setting and will guarantee theres multiple veins of metal so its not hard to make weapons and armor. Like it seems the settings mean its going to be between x-y so you have to accept what caverns come out of that or just go with the obscene 100 openness, 0 density.

Jaredus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, really nice work you've been doing on the mod and new website. I'm just curious what happened to that little manual type thing that you included with the mod, it doesn't seem to be there anymore. The site has most of the info, but I remember that there was a bit more detailed info about stuff like plants. Would that be something you'll keep working on with the site?

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I love Genesis mod, and I stopped playing DF for awhile, but came back and first thing I did was DL Genesis.  I downloaded the modloader version just a few days ago, but I seem to be running into a problem.

Every game I start has no ore veins.  There are gems, different types of stone, but no ores. 

When cavern/magma are revealed there is nothing, my exploratory mining finds nothing, etc etc.  There is adamantium but that is it...

Any idea what's wrong/help?

Ledo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Noob Question, but have around 4 raptors 2 male, 2 females do eggs take time to hatch or im i just wising for too much?

I have nest boxs and they laid there eggs but they seem to stand there for everor.

I need of help

-Ledo

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If your eggs dont hatch after 2 seasons their prolly sterile--if its an exotic animal and you want those eggs give it 3 seasons.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play

Hey guys,

Finally made it to about year four and I'm really loving the Genesis additions. Was dual sieged by Beastmen and Centaurs and after that I thought all was well so sent my guys outside to expand my walls. I'm sure you all figured before I did that that was a perfect time for not one but two ambushes, Demons and, well, I don't know what the other guys were, they shot a lot of arrows but ran away before I could check them. May have been more demons if they ambush multiple times at once. Aside from losing the Dwarven liaison (hopefully the merchants will bring something next year - they survived unscathed, their guards were the real deal), I had three dead horribly unprepared militia and a war mastiff earned it's name taking out a Beastman (good dog!). Eagles keep poaching my pastured animals so I'm moving the pets inside just as quick as I can create underground grazing areas.

Anyway, my question is I'm finally at the point where I'm safe(ish) and can experiment with the new nobles. What does the therapist do and what type of dwarf is best suited for that job? How about the dungeon master? Is he just the same as the vanilla dungeon master? He trains exotic pets? Anything else?

108 dwarves (not including the dead) and only two Steel Caste. :(
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 642