Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1229659 times)

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Loving the newest version of Genesis, but have a question:  are engravings supposed to show weird symbols?  Never seen that before using a graphics pack, but both Ironhand and Phoebus are showing weird symbols for engravings... not sure if it's a feature or a bug, since they do seem to relate to the pictures, somewhat.  Eg, symbol of a table for an engraving of a table.  If it's intentional, its a neat idea, but it makes things look very confusing :s

Erm, this was in vanilla DF.

If you dont believe, then take a look.
I'm keeping the necromancers busy by feeding them children.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Loving the newest version of Genesis, but have a question:  are engravings supposed to show weird symbols?  Never seen that before using a graphics pack, but both Ironhand and Phoebus are showing weird symbols for engravings... not sure if it's a feature or a bug, since they do seem to relate to the pictures, somewhat.  Eg, symbol of a table for an engraving of a table.  If it's intentional, its a neat idea, but it makes things look very confusing :s
It's showing what is primarily on the engraving. slawr34 tells the truth.

To disable that, and keep it bland: From the DF folder, > data > init > d_init > Find this:
[ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:X] where X is either YES or NO, change accordingly.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play

There is also a function within the game itself (in the "d" designations menu I think) where you can toggle "show engravings" on and off. I'm at work so I can't test but I'm pretty sure.

jomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm wondering if the button "Economy" i see in the screenshot of Modloader , means that you can choose to play with the dwarven economy again. Is this right or wrong ?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

There is also a function within the game itself (in the "d" designations menu I think) where you can toggle "show engravings" on and off. I'm at work so I can't test but I'm pretty sure.
d->v

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

About the economy button: No, sadly you cant. It just changes economy in the init from yes to no, but has no affect on the game itself.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile

I like to set it to no anyway though to express my displeasure towards dwarven capitalism.

Can I get a fist-bump Broseph Stalin?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Apparently I forgot to turn the obscured engravings on. It really makes weird look of graphics pack :). Something to consider for the future releases, thanks. Right now follow Tiruin's advice.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like to set it to no anyway though to express my displeasure towards dwarven capitalism.

Can I get a fist-bump Broseph Stalin?

Fucking HIPPIES

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile

I am no hippie, sir!

Perhaps I swing a little anti-corporate, but I support capitalism the way it was intended, with many small companies competing to bring innovation and lowest price to consumers. Not dominant monopoly (or on most cases a few large colluding corporations) with thousands of lobbyists buying off politicians to stifle innovation, free speech, and joy. SOPA much?

As a relevant example, in the world the government and corporations would like to see us head towards, all mods (except of course DF mods, since Toady is allowing the game to be played for free) would be illegal. I think I would die inside if there was no Rome: Total Realism, or Medieval II Total War: The Third Age (Tolkien - wow, that's TWO copyright infringements at once!)

Regardless, back on topic, the dwarven economy as it stands currently is a train wreck.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:34:07 pm by MAurelius »

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am no hippie, sir!

Perhaps I swing a little anti-corporate, but I support capitalism the way it was intended, with many small companies competing to bring innovation and lowest price to consumers. Not dominant monopoly (or on most cases a few large colluding corporations) with thousands of lobbyists buying off politicians to stifle innovation, free speech, and joy. SOPA much?

As a relevant example, in the world the government and corporations would like to see us head towards, all mods (except of course DF mods, since Toady is allowing the game to be played for free) would be illegal. I think I would die inside if there was no Rome: Total Realism, or Medieval II Total War: The Third Age (Tolkien - wow, that's TWO copyright infringements at once!)

Regardless, back on topic, the dwarven economy as it stands currently is a train wreck.

Actually, I agree with you.

My statement was simply for teh lulz.

NOW. Let us never speak of this again, lest this thread get derailed.

Valience

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deon, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but I thought I'd nitpick a small typo/inconsistency. On your genesis website, the dwarf page, you have:
Shield Clan: The combatant mindset of Shild Clan dwarves lets them learn the ins and outs of combat quicker than their fellows. Their legs however can never be as swift as the fastest of other castes.
I also know that at last the version before modloader had the same sentence. I haven't gotten any shield dwarves in my current challenge fort to see if it's still there or not, though.

Apologies if this was mentioned and resolved, I didn't see it in the past couple pages.
Regardless of what I said previously, DF elves don't chop. They merely coax the wood out of a tree in a manner which is probably sexual. So yes, they are terrible, terrible beings.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh hey look, new versions of Genesis.  It's been a while since I tried it, so let's see....

What's a "modloader"?  It looks like some sort of custom Microsoft Windows program.  I'm guessing it edits the raw files and then launches DF.  OK, well, maybe I can run that in Wine and then simply drop the Linux Dwarf Fortress binary & libs on top of the genesis stuff, and then run it myself, like I've done in the past.

OK, so, download the thing... it's archived & compressed in RAR format.  Joy.  Well, I've got unrar installed, so I can extract that.  OK.  There's this "Genesis Modloader.exe" file.  We'll try that... "wine Genesis\ Modloader.exe" => "install the Windows version of Mono to run .NET executables".  Ugh.  You've gotta be kidding.

OK, google, winehq forums, etc.  It says I need something called winetricks, in a clean wineprefix (whatever THAT is), and it talks about how mono never works, and some poor guy who tried this with wine 1.2 was derided for having an "old" version (it was a year old at the time -- this is considered "old" in the Wine world?!).  What version am I using... oh, I've got Wine 1.0.1.  That's what Debian ships in the current stable release.  Well, I suppose I'll have to upgrade that.

WineHQ, download, it says there are packages for Debian Lenny and Squeeze -- cool beans.  But when I follow the link it says it's only got packages for Debian Sid (unstable development work-in-progress).  OK, back to WineHQ, source, grab source for wine 1.2.3.  Download that, rename it, extract it.  Before trying to build it, let's do an "apt-get build-dep wine" to make sure we'll have all the prereqs.  OK, had to do an "apt-get install libsane-dev" too.  Oh, and this is building with -g -O2, and it's gobbling up disk space like it's a masterwork elephant meat roast... OK, suspend that, find a blank CD, burn this old ISO to it to free up some disk space.  Let it continue building, let it install.  Remove the wine 1.0.1 package... oh, have to remove wine-bin and wine-utils also, it seems.  OK, I have wine 1.2.3 now.

Now this "winetricks" thing... I don't have a program by that name.  Google, wiki... apparently it's a third party script.  Download that, try to figure out how to run it... I need a clean wineprefix?  OK, what do I have in ~/.wine right now... oh, I see.  Old Dwarf Fortress stuff (DF 0.31.04 or so).  That can go -- rm -rf ~/.wine.  Now run winecfg... all right.  Now I have a "clean wineprefix", I think.  So run this "winetricks" script... dlls list... it says "dotnet35".  Maybe I can install that?  Try it... it says .NET doesn't work yet... then it installs .NET 2.0 or something... then it downloads .NET 3.5... and blows up with an error message.

Back to the Genesis directory... "wine Genesis\ Modloader.exe" again... now it says "To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework:  v4.0.30319  Contact your application publisher blah blah".  Ugh.  So even if dotnet35 HAD worked, it still wouldn't have worked worked.  'Cause apparently I need something higher than 3.5.

OK, last resort -- mount the Windows file system (/dev/sda1) and copy the Genesis directory to it.  Then reboot into Windows.  Then try to run it... I get the same "You need .NET 4" message.  Well, Wine is faithfully producing the failures at least!  OK, I have a web browser, right?  Where's firefox... nope, I have MSIE.  OK.  Run MSIE, go to Google, type in "install .NET", click, click, click ... "Sorry, you don't have the privileges to do this.  Log in as an Administrator and try again."

Total dead end.  I do not have Admin rights on the Windows OS on this machine, and there's no way I will get it for installing something to run a game.

Is there any conceivable way I can just copy files around by hand, and edit them by hand, and just run the game, without this modloader thing?  Or am I going to be stuck playing "Older non-modloader versions (for 0.31.25)" forever?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Umbreon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi I just tried out the latest version of Genesis, with the loader, but for some reason most of the mod's content isn't there. From what I can remember, there were none of the genesis workshops or forges at all in the building menus, and I couldn't notice any content that was different from the vanilla game. Idk whats wrong, I tried moving some raws around randomly with my limited knowledge, but that didn't work (I just tried moving the raws from the default mod folder into the save folder's raws though)

Ashnal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any conceivable way I can just copy files around by hand, and edit them by hand, and just run the game, without this modloader thing?  Or am I going to be stuck playing "Older non-modloader versions (for 0.31.25)" forever?

Heh, your post reminds me of the days I played with linux, but gave up eventually because it sucked too much of my time away.

To answer the question posted, its actually quite simple. Inside the files there should be a copy of the default raws for each tileset. Copy the raws from the tileset you want over the Dwarf Fortress directory. Then you can edit the raws and find things like "YESALCHEMY[PERMITTED_BUILDING:ALCHEMICAL_WORKSHOP]" in the entity_default.txt. These are what gets changed if you switch options in the modloader. Simply remove the brackets from the tag to switch that tag off like the modloader would do.

The things are scattered around the raw files and some settings files, so being able to search for them is handy.
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 642