Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1232734 times)

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile

Welp, something's not going right. Been trying to play as a serpentman in adventure mode, but I keep getting attacked by my own people. Sometimes I'll manage to recruit a few, but then they start attacking me after I've slept before I can even get up. In one case, I go to the capital, recruit a few guys, go talk to someone for a quest, get told, "You'll die soon enough", and my 'companions' then begin to attack me before I can even leave the room. I've been away for a while so I'm not sure if this is a known issue or anything. I've genned 3 different lands and had the same thing each time. Any ideas? This is with the 3.25d2 version posted above.

smokebubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LizardKing, same thing happened to me when I tried to play as a demon in 3.25d (phoebus). I could walk into a castle owned by demons without them attacking me and even recruit a few but couldn't get any quests there. After a while the demons would suddenly attack me and it took me a while to figure out why. The reason they suddenly started to attack me was because I would walk into one of the demons I had recruited and ended up attacking it first (this happened a bit coming back down a tower).

Not sure why I was automatically attacking the demons but after I went around killing a bunch of the creatures and bandits in the area it stopped automatically attacking the demons when I walked into them and I could get quests from the law giver at the castle.

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Glad to see you back Deon.

I've not had a chance to look at version i yet.  I was wondering a couple things:

Does the industrial version of the wood burner building still use "C" for charcoal?  I wonder if 'c' wouldn't be more convenient.

Could you add to the industrial wood burning building the ability to burn a wood and get two ash?  It would really help out my clear glass industry.

Are all the skills (like carpentry) added to the library yet?

Thank you for all your hard work.
Will do :).
[/quote]

Deon...just replace your crappy training workshops with mine.  Those damn vellums are a pain in the arse!  Seriously...use blocks and just have a 90% success rate...works great and helps get rid of excess stones.

Or, don't use stone blocks...use metal blocks.  Now you have on economic investment included when training a skill.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile

... Uh, I'd assume that his training workshops require some additional work because reading a book makes a lot more sense than eating a stone block and that without requiring at least a little bit of effort it's basically a free skill button.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Yeah, I myself consider "block eating" to be a
crappy
mechanic. Seriously, how can someone learn woodcrafting from using a rock block?

And vellums are really easy to make. Five per skin.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meph has a new library mechanism in Civ Forge as well, a little more involved than just the vellum, although I am perfectly happy with it the way it is.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Yeah, I put some offal (organs) to zero price when I made meat and fat more valuable. Liver is popular, right? And fat is tasty and has good survival value.

I am working on a Mod-Mod for Geneis w/TomiTapio that will cover both of these issues.  Send me a PM and I'll hook you up with the RAWS.
No, you're not working with me, you're working on a mod for the "Genesis with Tomi's additions". And those additions have been approved into the main Genesis now.

So I was just 'T'raveling along, and suddenly I get attacked by a sea monster. On land. Not only that, but it was able to walk around as well. It proceeded to kill me dead while I stared at it in awe. Genesis bug or some other glitch? This was version 3.25i
It is hidden Fun.
Just like my "funpack" release had all domestics trainable; you could train war rabbits and war hens.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:16:22 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LizardKing, same thing happened to me when I tried to play as a demon in 3.25d (phoebus). I could walk into a castle owned by demons without them attacking me and even recruit a few but couldn't get any quests there. After a while the demons would suddenly attack me and it took me a while to figure out why. The reason they suddenly started to attack me was because I would walk into one of the demons I had recruited and ended up attacking it first (this happened a bit coming back down a tower).

Not sure why I was automatically attacking the demons but after I went around killing a bunch of the creatures and bandits in the area it stopped automatically attacking the demons when I walked into them and I could get quests from the law giver at the castle.

Still didn't help. I got the latest version of Runesmith and did some poking around. I noticed the towns seemed to be a mix of 2 civilisations (in my case, 216 and 217). Setting them all (including myself) to one civ fixed it, otherwise as soon as they spotted me, they'd try to kill me and everyone in the other civilisation, despite being the same species. Guess they're very patriotic or something.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

That's because of the banditry token.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Cave Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does anybody uses a raw_tile_selector for setup Genesis tileset?
I tried it but i have a many crashes, because wrong definitions.txt file. I need to adapt this file for Genesis mode, but I can`t.
I write this and some files a availiable now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But not all and this is not enough. Can you give me your text, or a file definitions.txt of raw_tile_selector for Genesis 3.25i if you use this program.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:12:14 pm by Cave Man »

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I myself consider "block eating" to be a
crappy
mechanic. Seriously, how can someone learn woodcrafting from using a rock block?

And vellums are really easy to make. Five per skin.

Because they're chiseled on to stone tablets!!!

All we're doing is taking %arbitrary_resource1% and replacing it with %arbitrary_resource2%.  But, %arbitrary_resource2% actually has another in game purpose, so things aren't wasted or just sitting around taking up stockpile space and whatnot.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All we're doing is taking %arbitrary_resource1% and replacing it with %arbitrary_resource2%.  But, %arbitrary_resource2% actually has another in game purpose, so things aren't wasted or just sitting around taking up stockpile space and whatnot.

I think you're missing the point. There's a reason the training rooms are specifically called "library" or whatever, instead of "Magic Skill Improvement - Wood Carving (Insert block to continue)". It's supposed to be logical and provide some sort of narrative. Having dwarfs eat your useless rocks in exchange for skills may be beneficial, but it makes little sense and sounds rather ridiculous. It's so... undwarfy.

I didn't even know there was one. Thanks, I'll bear that in mind next time.

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think you're missing the point. There's a reason the training rooms are specifically called "library" or whatever, instead of "Magic Skill Improvement - Wood Carving (Insert block to continue)". It's supposed to be logical and provide some sort of narrative. Having dwarfs eat your useless rocks in exchange for skills may be beneficial, but it makes little sense and sounds rather ridiculous. It's so... undwarfy.

I didn't even know there was one. Thanks, I'll bear that in mind next time.

I understand the point perfectly, and I've put a lot of thought in to it.  The point is that we are bypassing using resources to level the skills of our dwarves.  E.G.  We could use Wood to raise carpentry, but we don't in lieu of using 2/5th of a Leather through a tome?   I'd be all FOR using wood blocks to train carpentry, but as it stands right now, I'm testing the workshops based on simplicity and symmetry.

Scribing Tomes currently uses the Teaching skill, but you can scribe any tome on just about any subject.  How does that make sense?  A 0 skill level guy can a scribe a tome that my Smith can use to get Legendary?  It's a game, and no matter how we justify it, it's all just "Magic Skill Improvement." 

I like the idea of using Tomes to train things, but I'd rather put my Dwarves to work creating things out of the thousands of worthless stones that end up cluttering every map.  The other option is to atom smash all of that extra stone.  I'd rather have to clean it all up the hard way and make use of it.  But, if Deon wants to stick with slicing leather in to five pieces, and then combing two pieces arbitrarily to form a toy, and then using that toy to train a skill up, then that's fine by me.  My workshops copy and paste in to Genesis quite easily.  :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

The tomes are mostly for roleplay, stories and immersion, as well as training of skills without appropriate resources.

Or you could train dwarves on ACTUAL blocks as you said :). It's not a replacement, it's an option.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

(masonry practice) Once you have a stockpile of 300 stone statues, it's pretty cool. Put the stockpile outdoors to greet your visitors.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 642