Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01]Infinite cavern collapses  (Read 2114 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01]Infinite cavern collapses
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:54:17 pm »

My map spawned with a rather awesome underground ocean pouring out into the magma sea via a 20 z-level waterfall. I'd love to set up my fort here... but the water hitting the magma creates obsidian which then falls into the magma with a "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" message. Fairly quickly I get an infinite spam loop of this, which makes the game unplayable unless I turn caveins off.

Once I do, I have the single most awe-inspiring terrain I've ever seen in this game, though.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 03:58:12 pm by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
Re: [0.31.01]Infinite cavern collapses
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:52:18 pm »

My map spawned with a rather awesome underground ocean pouring out into the magma sea via a 20 z-level waterfall. I'd love to set up my fort here... but the water hitting the magma creates obsidian which then falls into the magma with a "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" message. Fairly quickly I get an infinite spam loop of this, which makes the game unplayable unless I turn caveins off.

Once I do, I have the single most awe-inspiring terrain I've ever seen in this game, though.

Doesn't the obsidian eventually build up and dam the waterfall?

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 05:24:06 pm »

There is an option in init.txt that allows messages like that to not move your view... Wait, lemme find it...

EDIT:

Sorry, data/init/announcements.txt.
Change:
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]

to:
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]

if you still want it announced but not for the game to be paused/recentred:
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:]

SHOULD make it not even mentioned, but I am not entirely sure if removing all the tags will cause problems...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:27:42 pm by Huggz »
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:31:33 pm »

Doesn't the obsidian eventually build up and dam the waterfall?
Not sure with cave-ins on. I'm not about to sit around and wait. It looked like the caved in obsidian was just falling "through" the bottom of the magma sea, off the map, though.

Huggz: that's good to know, but it is still a bug... the game needs to check to ensure there is not an underground sea pouring into the magma sea with magma pipes. Personally I think volcanoes should be surrounded by at least 1 tile of obsidian that overrides caverns, rather than caverns poking through the volcano.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.