Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Militia Training and two extras.  (Read 540 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On Militia Training and two extras.
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:44:31 am »

It is quite possible that this suggestion is too early made as future patches fixes things or that they aren't as simple to code as i belive, But my thoughts on the Militia.

Training Schedule:
When scheduling training for the dwarves you should pick a weapon class like Swords, Axes, Hammers, etc, or Free choice of weapon.(the dwarfs favourite or most skilled?)
This makes it more simple than designating a weapon in the Uniforms/Equip menue and makes it possible to easily make your dwarves practice multiple combat skills.
I am unsure if having, or what kind of, options for armor in the schedule would be good. For armed combat you would want them armored but for unarmed it would be better not to.

Training Flowchart:

Demonstration in combat skill
   The dwarf with the highest skill in the squad gets picked to do a demonstration/teaching of the scheduled weapon class or a general combat skill.

Sparring
   If there is no teacher available or that there are not much difference between the teacher and the student in skill, Then the squad should sparr.
      Sparring should require training weapons, which they fetch from a container in the barracks and where they return them after sparring.
      Individual training
      If no training weapons are available they start doing physical exercises and/or weapon stance, form or strike training.
      The weapon training can be performed with a lethal weapon and improves skill and, to a lesser degree, stats.
      The physical exercises only improves their stats, but to a greater degree than solo weapon training.

I wish to stress the point of having a container in the barrack for the training weapons, possibly a option in the q menu on the container to designate it as a training arms container.
Having this would ensure that the soldiers wont have to go any distance to get practice weapons, to make certain that they drop the practice weapon afterwards so that they wont carry it around and that they can be armed with lethal weaponry at all other times.

Also two thoughts that I've had for a while but haven't suggested:

Partial walls for the purpose of fluid control. example; You want a basin to contain 4/7 water, then you build a partial wall of 4/7 height which will let any water 5/7 or higher through.
Possible problem would be pressured water and to calculate the max water passing per frame, but if that is solved one can make inverted partial walls for the purpose of letting smaller amounts of water through.

Smoothed stone plates; I'm a sucker for astetics and that glaringly miscolored orthoclase wall in my marble halls burns my eyes.
Having the mason construct a stone plate to cover the missbehaving wall would soothe me and also open the posibility to cover brick walls.
Oh, and is it too much to ask for the stone plates to be engravable?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Militia Training and two extras.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:09:27 pm »

Smoothed stone plates; I'm a sucker for astetics and that glaringly miscolored orthoclase wall in my marble halls burns my eyes.
Having the mason construct a stone plate to cover the missbehaving wall would soothe me and also open the posibility to cover brick walls.
Oh, and is it too much to ask for the stone plates to be engravable?

Been requested pretty often in various forms. It would be nice though, more than ever now that veins are everywhere. Making a nice looking fort is all but impossible. Simplest way would probably be to use a stone to turn constructed or natural wall into a natural wall of a new type, lacking smoothing for the time being.