Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Viewing chasms/undergroundrivers/bottomlesspits/etc in location  (Read 593 times)

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't remember if it was a utility I downloaded or a setting I edited that allowed for seeing what kind of features where in the area you decided to embark in. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can offer some help on figuring out how to get it back?  :P

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Viewing chasms/undergroundrivers/bottomlesspits/etc in location
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:51:29 am »

it used to be SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM and SHOW_EMBARK_PIT in /data/init/init.txt. However, in the new version they've all been removed and replaced with the new underground system, which means you'll find most everything everywhere you embark.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:56:11 am »

If you're referring to the old version 40d and it's derivatives (40d2 through 19), the thing you need to change is the init file in your dwarf fortress/data/init folder. There will be a section with [SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:FINDER] and several other [SHOW_EMBARK_whatever:FINDER]; if you change all the FINDER to ALWAYS, you'll be able to see all of the features that exist on the map from before you embark.

Or, if you've already embarked, you'll have to use something like Reveal, which is found here. Make sure not to save after using it, though, as it screws up several things.

If you're playing the new version that came out a couple of days ago, you can't see features on the map because most of them no longer exist, and those that do still exist are present on virtually every map (only one feature that I know of is present on only some maps; it's spoileriffic).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:42:06 am »

Or, if you've already embarked, you'll have to use something like Reveal, which is found here. Make sure not to save after using it, though, as it screws up several things.
or use stonesense which does the same thing as reveal but in a different window (reads DF instead of modifying DF) which also has cool primary effect as a visualizer.