Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1151 1152 [1153] 1154 1155 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122921 times)

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17280 on: February 06, 2012, 03:26:41 pm »

1. Training is slow. If you can compare it to something, I would compare it to a slow moving glacier. If you don't care about using exploits, use a danger room. If you don't want to, then I suggest capturing a few goblins (or elves) and pit them against your dwarfs. Real combat is better than training. If you have time, try making an artificial waterfall inside their barracks. They'll get happy thoughts from the mist.

2. I use useless migrants in my military or give them picks and axes and dig some stuff, or chop some trees.

3.I have 10 crafters right now. It's a lot, but it's a good way of removing excess stone.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17281 on: February 06, 2012, 03:44:58 pm »

My first wave of migrants consisted of two dwarfs - is that supposed to happen? I don't think I've ever seen one of less that 7.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17282 on: February 06, 2012, 04:18:38 pm »

It happens sometimes.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

smips63

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17283 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:39 pm »

3.I have 10 crafters right now. It's a lot, but it's a good way of removing excess stone.

How do you keep up with producing bins to put everything in? I would plow through wood like crazy if I did that...Or can you make bins out of more than just wood?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17284 on: February 06, 2012, 05:16:39 pm »

How do you keep up with producing bins to put everything in? I would plow through wood like crazy if I did that...Or can you make bins out of more than just wood?
Bins can also be made out of metal.
Although, in this case I think Prologue is not using bins at all.

smips63

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17285 on: February 06, 2012, 06:23:01 pm »

Wouldn't not using bins clutter the floor just as much as the stone would? Or is that not the purpose for removing the excess stone?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17286 on: February 06, 2012, 06:50:19 pm »

Wouldn't not using bins clutter the floor just as much as the stone would? Or is that not the purpose for removing the excess stone?
Without bins, a single stockpile tile would hold a single craft, as opposed to the [INSERT NUMBER OF ITEMS A BIN HOLDS] crafts a stockpile with bins would hold in a tile.
If a stockpile is full (or there is no stockpile) the crafts would stay in the workshop, eventually cluttering it. A cluttered workshop will produce items more slowly, but the building can hold an infinite number of items.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17287 on: February 06, 2012, 07:52:55 pm »

1. Militia have always perplexed me... So I set three squads up and have them training in my barracks. I'm having them go weaponless to build wrestling because I remember reading somewhere that that's usually a good idea. Now, they've been training for at least 3 seasons(maybe a whole year), they're becoming quite unhappy, and their wrestling skill has barely moved. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Should I just get them some armor and wooden weapons and scratch the whole wrestling step?

Unless they're Champions, dwarves hate training for more than a month or two at a time. There's also the issue that you probably have their training regimen set up such that all ten dwarves in the squad are required to be at training; if you look at the Schedule, the training orders will say Minimum 10 Dwarves or something like that.

This means the training session will only start once all ten dwarves are present - and getting ten dwarves in the right place at the right time is akin to herding cats. A good rule of thumb is 60% of the squad - unless there's only four or five in the squad. Highlight a training order and press Edit to change the number of dwarves required.

2. Another thing that has always messed me up as well. I do quite well at keeping all my dwarves occupied up until migrant wave 5 or 6. Once I get 50 or so dwarves, I don't know what the hell to do with them all. Is the typical application here just to ramp up all your processes, build your military, and have !fun! with a few of the peasants?

Megaproject.

Or, yeah, ramp up production, more squads of militia, make them all masons and build a giant stone tower... whatever takes your fancy. Or let them throw parties.

3. Is it worthwhile to have multiple stonecrafters going at once? I usually just set one on repeat and sell whatever he makes to the caravans. This alone will usually give me enough trade goods to buy whatever I want from the caravans. Am I missing anything, or is it just a "look at all my pretty trinkets!" kind of thing after that? Not that it would be a problem, my dorfs love their mudstone rings :P

Not really, unless you're low on wood. Stonecrafters can make stone pots, which function identically to barrels.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17288 on: February 06, 2012, 09:15:13 pm »

There's also the issue that you probably have their training regimen set up such that all ten dwarves in the squad are required to be at training; if you look at the Schedule, the training orders will say Minimum 10 Dwarves or something like that.

This means the training session will only start once all ten dwarves are present

That's completely untrue.  They train in groups of 2 to 4 sporadically throughout the month, overlapping and starting/stopping at will.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17289 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:24 pm »

There's also the issue that you probably have their training regimen set up such that all ten dwarves in the squad are required to be at training; if you look at the Schedule, the training orders will say Minimum 10 Dwarves or something like that.

This means the training session will only start once all ten dwarves are present

That's completely untrue.  They train in groups of 2 to 4 sporadically throughout the month, overlapping and starting/stopping at will.

The Minimum 10 Dwarves bit alters how many dwarves are active in a squad for a given order. So, in a 10 dorf squad a Minimum of 5 would result in 5 dorfs active and training, and 5 dorfs doing assigned labors or individual drills. This is a good way to keep them from being enraged at long patrol duty without just deactivating the whole squad.

That said, the reason that myth persists is because smaller training groups results in much faster training times. I normally have squads of 3-4 each.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17290 on: February 06, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »

Well, if I set orders to minimum of 10, each time someone organises a dodging/biting/hammertime/interpretive dancing demo four of the squad members spend a month running around stuffing their mouths with food and drink with the occasional break inbetween and the demo never actually starts.

Instead, six of the dwarves stay locked into limbo with "waiting for demo" as their current job for the whole training season.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

T-Mick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17291 on: February 06, 2012, 10:34:47 pm »

How do I check the contents of a bin or barrel?
“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!” -Hilaire Belloc

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17292 on: February 06, 2012, 10:43:07 pm »

[k]->[ENTER] should suffice.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17293 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44:04 pm »

loo'k' at them.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

T-Mick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17294 on: February 06, 2012, 10:45:16 pm »

loo'k' at them.

That was almost too easy... I can't believe I never found it.
“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!” -Hilaire Belloc
Pages: 1 ... 1151 1152 [1153] 1154 1155 ... 1178