Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1145 1146 [1147] 1148 1149 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123035 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17190 on: February 02, 2012, 01:07:29 am »

Attributes train up when skills that are based on those attributes get used.  I don't think anyone knows precisely how this works, but pump operation is a good way to train strength for example.  Probably endurance and some other things too.

From what I understand, a dwarf's attributes cap at some point above their base stats, so having a naturally gifted dwarf is better, since they start higher and have a higher maximum.  Any dwarf can improve though.

Not sure about the second one.  I suspect that they either go for the most valuable (which would be silly, but does explain the desire for adamantine thread), or closest.  I suspect it's closest, so putting them in stockpiles near the hospital should help I think.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17191 on: February 02, 2012, 01:13:42 am »

Cool that's what I've been doing. Look at his stats, find the job most suitable for them, then add some others to train his weaknessess or just enhance his strengths even more.

I guess I should work out how to harvest silk so it's a moot point. Giant spiders are in the caverns right?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:17:25 am by Yaotzin »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17192 on: February 02, 2012, 02:37:13 am »

What's the logic used for decorating stuff? Do they just go for the closest object of the type you gave?

eta: Is it possible to get sliver barb (the wiki says its bugged)? I want black dye :>
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:43:45 am by Yaotzin »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17193 on: February 02, 2012, 04:50:27 am »

Another set of noobish questions from me:

I've got oodles of vermin remains in my refuse stockpiles.  I see that there's an option to not collect vermin remains, and I'm pretty sure it's set to not collect the remains, but my stockpiles seem to keep filling up.

Anyway, how much do corpses like this affect FPS?  Should I try to destroy them?  I could atom smash them, but can I just dump them in magma instead?  I've never used a magma garbage disposal, do I have to dump into semi molten rock, or will regular magma do the job?

I split my refuse into useable refuse and unuseable refuse.  Unuseable refuse generates miasma if kept underground, so I store it in a refuse pile that is above ground.  I typically double it up as a pasture.  Useable refuse I store near a couple craftdwarf shops, and farmer's workshops so I can make the bolts and yarn and whatnot.

Refuse stored above ground rots away without miasma, BUT it also rots away faster too!
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17194 on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:07 am »

Is it possible to get sliver barb (the wiki says its bugged)? I want black dye :>

In the current version, farmable plants with [GOOD] and [EVIL] tags never appear.  So it is impossible to get sliver barb or sun berries without modding.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17195 on: February 02, 2012, 09:05:20 am »

I guess I should work out how to harvest silk so it's a moot point. Giant spiders are in the caverns right?

There's spiders, and there's Giant Cave Spiders.  The regular spiders are vermin, meaning they don't appear on the unit list, and only occasionally and briefly appear as a dot-or-whatever on the screen.  They leave webs behind randomly (as far as I know).  Mostly you'll know if there are regular spiders around if you see webs in one or more of the cavern layers.  You can send your weavers to collect those webs (bringing them back to a loom).  Actually, the default setting is for weavers to auto-collect all webs; I recommend turning that off, because civilian dwarves traipsing through the caverns without your knowlege tend to have a lot of Fun.

Regular spiders can also sometimes appear in areas outside the caverns.  Since they're vermin, cats will also destroy them, leaving spider remains.  This has a negative impact on web production.

Giant Cave Spiders are full-sized units, classified as "wild animals".  They appear on the unit list when they're on the map, and disappear if they leave the map.  They shoot webs as an attack, rather than just dropping them randomly.

GCS are aggressive, and will generally attack dwarves.  In addition to their entangling web attack, they can inject venom, and they can bite off limbs and so forth.  In a confrontation between an unarmed dwarf and a GCS, the GCS is going to win, period.  In a confrontation between a hunter and a GCS, the GCS will usually win....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17196 on: February 02, 2012, 11:55:22 am »

Erp nevermind I can't spell in the manager.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:57:20 am by Yaotzin »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17197 on: February 02, 2012, 02:21:29 pm »

GCSs are very vulnerable to slashing attacks. Discs that bounce off of a +troll fur glove+ have no trouble slicing through any spider body part. A squad of decent axe dwarfs needs only one hit against the lower body, upper body or head to win. That being said, it does often take a bit longer due to all the legs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17198 on: February 02, 2012, 02:30:49 pm »

How are they compared to an Ettin child? One just attacked me and somehow I butchered it at the cost of a cut foot on one guy. Guess those weapon skills I picked at embark aren't bad.

God I hate possession moods. Always asking for something I can't get or can't figure out, so little reward.

eta: And I hit the caverns trying to find his stupid favorite Gneiss stone. Gaaaaaah. I see lots of silk web :scared:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:45:04 pm by Yaotzin »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17199 on: February 02, 2012, 03:01:52 pm »

eta: And I hit the caverns trying to find his stupid favorite Gneiss stone. Gaaaaaah. I see lots of silk web :scared:

As long as you have a vermin killer (think animal traps here), you'll have nothing to worry about. Unless those are giant cave spider webs, then slightly more reason to be worried, but should still be safe.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17200 on: February 02, 2012, 03:26:54 pm »

Is there a benefit to leaving farm plots fallow?
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17201 on: February 02, 2012, 03:34:59 pm »

As long as you have a vermin killer (think animal traps here), you'll have nothing to worry about. Unless those are giant cave spider webs, then slightly more reason to be worried, but should still be safe.
I mean giant ones:) Lots of them in the cavern I uncovered digging for gneiss. Which wasn't what my guy wanted. So he made me a tower-cap harp. So useful!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17202 on: February 02, 2012, 03:40:33 pm »

Nope :P

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17203 on: February 02, 2012, 06:17:38 pm »

Can anybody point me to a guide for catching and using cave spiders? My cats always slaughter them before I get too many webs.

Actually, yes. It allows you to change the amount your farms produce, so you don't end up with plant population explosions. And choosing the "fallow" option when the underground crop you want to grow isn't available that season makes sense, of course.

I'm not too experienced with aboveground crops, but I imagine that in hostile environments you might want to leave a field fallow if it's too cold for your chosen crop to grow. More experienced folks will know whether that is true.

Another reason you might want to leave your fields fallow is when you're switching between crops in the same plot during different seasons, so the dwarves don't dump the old crop before it has a chance to finish growing. Leaving a fallow season in there lets you get all of the first crop. Unless you're really strapped for farm space, it's often a better idea to have underground crops growing in season, with a fallow season afterward. Unless you're growing plump helmets year round in the same field, you're probably going to want to vary your crops anyway. Dwarves don't like having the same booze all the time.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:19:09 pm by Callista »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17204 on: February 02, 2012, 06:29:01 pm »

Is there a way to put chests in a barracks so the soldiers can put food and eat, without the food rotting? Should I just put a food stockpile in the barracks?

Also, re: equipment, I have a squad of 10 dwarves and I made 10 steel breastplates/helms etc for them. For some reason there's always roughly a full set in the stockpile, though. Why?

I assume the randomly missing items (but mostly intact uniforms) is just bugs?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:41:48 pm by Yaotzin »
Pages: 1 ... 1145 1146 [1147] 1148 1149 ... 1178