Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123098 times)

Urist McEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17130 on: January 31, 2012, 04:10:55 pm »

Thank you. I was OCD smoothing all my rooms before i put beds and chests and cabinets in and by the time my engravers were done the next load of migrants came and the previous lot were unhappy for sleeping in the dirt.:P

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17131 on: January 31, 2012, 05:23:31 pm »

Put a chain in the middle of a 3x3 room. channel out the squares except the middle (preferably 3+z levels). Add hatches on all the holes. Chain a wild animal (preferably and elf). Open the hatch while the animal (elf) is standing on it.

Does the chain 'break' or will the elf get hung? Does this even work?  :-\

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17132 on: January 31, 2012, 05:52:24 pm »

My possessed dwarf says he wants stone rocks and bones. Does this mean he still wants both stone and rock, or can it mean he only wants one of them? 'cause I saw him wander off and take something (can I tell what it was?)

Also, why do used bolts become forbidden? Is there some reason I shouldn't make them mine?

My first attempt at hunting failed :( I killed the badger but no one will pick up its corpse and butcher it :(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:58:12 pm by Yaotzin »

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17133 on: January 31, 2012, 06:00:16 pm »

Also, why do used bolts become forbidden? Is there some reason I shouldn't make them mine?

My first attempt at hunting failed :( I killed the badger but no one will pick up its corpse and butcher it :(

Bolts are forbidden when used so your civilian dwarfs won't rush out like a bunch of idiots in the middle of a siege, trying to re-collect them. Just do d-b-c to reclaim them.

Do you have a Butcher Workshop, and do you have a dwarf with Butchery labor on?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17134 on: January 31, 2012, 06:03:02 pm »

Bolts are forbidden when used so your civilian dwarfs won't rush out like a bunch of idiots in the middle of a siege, trying to re-collect them. Just do d-b-c to reclaim them.
Do you have a Butcher Workshop, and do you have a dwarf with Butchery labor on?
Ah I see, so same reason I have to manually reclaim stuff of guys I kill.

Yes I have one, I've been using it, though not at the time. I have like 20 dwarves with the labor. Maybe they're idiots and decided to haul junk instead. I'll kill some more boars and find out.

I have like 800 pieces of goblin clothing. Is this what the atom smasher was invented for?

eta: I realised I hadn't turned on corpses at my refuse pile, so I didn't have one. Did I need that?

Oh, yes it was! My badger survived being dumped, unforbidden, sent to my newly corpse accepting refuse pile, and then a dwarf automatically went to butcher him. Excellent.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:06:11 pm by Yaotzin »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17135 on: January 31, 2012, 06:04:42 pm »

My possessed dwarf says he wants stone rocks and bones. Does this mean he still wants both stone and rock, or can it mean he only wants one of them? 'cause I saw him wander off and take something (can I tell what it was?)

[t] over the workshop to see what has been collected, then compare that to the workshop's [q] list to see what the dwarf wants next. The list will always include every item the dwarf wants, as well as the order it gathers them in.

I assume that bolts become forbidden so that dwarves don't rush out to collect them while there's a battle going on.

Do you have a refuse stockpile? Butchers will only butcher non-rotting, non-pet animal corpses that are on a refuse stockpile. You will probably have to [o]rder aboveground refuse hauling.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17136 on: January 31, 2012, 06:08:29 pm »

If I want to ensure my hunters are given armor and such, do I need to put them in a squad? How do I stop them training and make them hunt then?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17137 on: January 31, 2012, 06:55:39 pm »

If I want to ensure my hunters are given armor and such, do I need to put them in a squad? How do I stop them training and make them hunt then?
I would definitely not recommend putting hunters in the military, since the hunting, mining, and woodcutting labors interfere with military uniforms.

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17138 on: January 31, 2012, 06:56:57 pm »

Personally, I prefer to use my military for hunting, much more safer.

I still need my question answered:

Put a chain in the middle of a 3x3 room. channel out the squares except the middle (preferably 3+z levels). Add hatches on all the holes. Chain a wild animal (preferably and elf). Open the hatch while the animal (elf) is standing on it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17139 on: January 31, 2012, 07:00:20 pm »

I think that the chain will stay, but the chained animal will fall anyway.
So the animal will still only be able to move in the 3x3 tiles around the chain, even though the chain is on a different z-level.

This is only speculation based on my experiences with chained animals moving down stairs.

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17140 on: January 31, 2012, 07:00:28 pm »

Anything i should know about reclaiming a fortress, so far i have had trouble making my dwarves dump stone that is cluttering the place up.
I have reclaimed everything that is forbidden, would it be better to destroy workshops and farms and rebuild them?
Would the DFhack help?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17141 on: January 31, 2012, 07:19:06 pm »

I would definitely not recommend putting hunters in the military, since the hunting, mining, and woodcutting labors interfere with military uniforms.
I'll test it more tommorrow, but it looks like you could create a "hunters" squad, and then cancel all their training in the schedule screen. Then they should pretty much act as civilians wearing their uniform.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17142 on: January 31, 2012, 07:30:29 pm »

You can do that, but from my understanding they'll muck up their military uniform periodically as they go to hunt.  I've done this before, and don't recall explicitly what happened, but I think they'll waste time picking up equipment as they go on / off duty.  I think if you have them permanently off duty, they may just abandon their military uniform to grab a crossbow and quiver to hunt with.

If you do try it, don't be alarmed at individual combat drills though.  These are things that your dwarf would do while he otherwise had no job, so he's not really wasting time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17143 on: January 31, 2012, 07:34:29 pm »

I think that the chain will stay, but the chained animal will fall anyway.
So the animal will still only be able to move in the 3x3 tiles around the chain, even though the chain is on a different z-level.

This is only speculation based on my experiences with chained animals moving down stairs.

Chains in DF are basically mind control devices - they prevent attached creatures from moving away from the chain under their own power, but don't do anything to physically restrain them against falling, or being pushed away by cave-in dust or flowing water.  Once a creature is pushed more than one Z-level away from the chain, it will be considered to be no longer attached to the chain.

It's kind of weird how it works.  Chains don't restrict creatures from moving in the Z direction at all.  If you build a chain directly adjacent to the staircase, a creature attached to the chain will be able to climb as far up and down the staircase as it likes, so long as it stays confined to the 3x3 tile column centered on the chain.  Despite this, if a creature falls more than one Z-level below the chain, it will become detached from the chain, even though it could have walked more than one Z-level below the chain under its own power.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17144 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:14 pm »

If you do try it, don't be alarmed at individual combat drills though.  These are things that your dwarf would do while he otherwise had no job, so he's not really wasting time.

They won't do combat drills if they have no barracks assignment.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 1141 1142 [1143] 1144 1145 ... 1178