Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124072 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16305 on: November 24, 2011, 06:45:44 pm »

So, quickly, If I built a normal dodge trap that goes down 12z levels, built the bottom of the pit with floor bars and made a room under it, that room would get all the goblin blood, right? and if it happenned to be a meeting hall, my dwarves would get all soaked in blood?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16306 on: November 24, 2011, 06:52:29 pm »

Actually I'm fairly sure that right now the way blood and contaminants work you would just end up with a bunch of blood spattered grates. Due to a bug in the way it currently works, the blood will just stay floating in the air even if you retract the grates.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16307 on: November 24, 2011, 07:00:47 pm »

This may sound n00bish, but when my mason goes to grab a rock to make furniture, will he use the closest rock in general, or will he use the closest rock in a stockpile?

For this, I'm using Quantum Stockpiles. (1-tile garbage zones filled with stones)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16308 on: November 24, 2011, 07:24:21 pm »

This may sound n00bish, but when my mason goes to grab a rock to make furniture, will he use the closest rock in general, or will he use the closest rock in a stockpile?

For this, I'm using Quantum Stockpiles. (1-tile garbage zones filled with stones)
I believe he will use the closest rock if no stone stockpiles exist, and the nearest stockpiled rock if any stone stockpiles exist.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16309 on: November 24, 2011, 07:49:35 pm »

I believe he will use the closest rock if no stone stockpiles exist, and the nearest stockpiled rock if any stone stockpiles exist.

I'm fairly certain this is incorrect: he will use the closest non-busy rock to wherever he is standing at the moment he accepts the job, regardless of whether it's in a stockpile.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16310 on: November 24, 2011, 09:05:49 pm »

Ok two weird things happened...
1: Smelter isn't working at all. Have to assign jobs via Manager. Even outside of burrows like I thought might have been the problem.
2: After reaching the caverns for a strange mood requiring silk, I set up a loom for a weaver. Only to have the weaver spam me with "Cannot Path to webs" despite there being a path there according to the miners/warriors who had been lead into them...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16311 on: November 24, 2011, 09:27:42 pm »

Ok two weird things happened...
1: Smelter isn't working at all. Have to assign jobs via Manager. Even outside of burrows like I thought might have been the problem.
2: After reaching the caverns for a strange mood requiring silk, I set up a loom for a weaver. Only to have the weaver spam me with "Cannot Path to webs" despite there being a path there according to the miners/warriors who had been lead into them...
1. This is likely a bug, similar to the "I can't make soap from workshops, only manager" bug. I could be wrong.

2. The weaver is trying to get to a web that is unrevealed. Try revealing the entire cavern.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16312 on: November 25, 2011, 02:52:28 am »

is it possible for trees to cover so much of the map that caravns cant path to my fort? i havnt been cutting above ground lately since my underground areas provide more wood logs than i need already, but its starting to look decidedly crowded in some areas
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16313 on: November 25, 2011, 05:04:12 am »

Is it possible to move tame, unassigned, untrained dogs and military in one place and civilians in another?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16314 on: November 25, 2011, 06:06:29 am »

Is it possible to move tame, unassigned, untrained dogs and military in one place and civilians in another?

one burrow can be assigned as "civilian alert". I'm sure that militairy doesnt fall under that heading anyway, but they can be assigned their own burrow which can be activated or deactivated at will. I never tried to do it with dogs, but i'm confident that creating a pasture doesnt let them run off just because the civvies are in the burrow. I'd have to repasture my sheep every time if that was true. I dont think even trained war dogs will run to their burrows by themself in case of an alert
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16315 on: November 25, 2011, 06:11:06 am »

On activating alert burrow both dogs and civilians will run toward it. Pasturing requires moving dogs to pasture, but I will try it.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16316 on: November 25, 2011, 07:07:23 am »

well, you can try pasturing them and then creating a burrow there especially for them?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16317 on: November 25, 2011, 08:14:41 am »

Thanks, pastured animals ignore burrow alert.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16318 on: November 25, 2011, 08:38:46 am »

is it possible for trees to cover so much of the map that caravns cant path to my fort? i havnt been cutting above ground lately since my underground areas provide more wood logs than i need already, but its starting to look decidedly crowded in some areas

shamelessly bumping my own question. I'm still not cutting any extra trees from above ground. its starting to look very crowded and i'm worried that after some time, caravans wont be able to find an entrance NOT blocked by trees. Grounds for worries or no worries mate?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16319 on: November 25, 2011, 09:12:40 am »

shamelessly bumping my own question. I'm still not cutting any extra trees from above ground. its starting to look very crowded and i'm worried that after some time, caravans wont be able to find an entrance NOT blocked by trees. Grounds for worries or no worries mate?

Unless you're worried about trying to keep a 3 tile wide path open, you don't need to worry about this.  Trees won't grow densely enough to make an impenetrable, solid wall of trees around your fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1178