Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] 1086 1087 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124115 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #16260 on: November 21, 2011, 03:21:14 pm »

I'm fairly sure that casts or splints are used interchangeably, with both of them accomplishing "immobilization" of the treated part.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16261 on: November 21, 2011, 03:32:43 pm »

plaster probably works better/faster

a forest fire is killing my fps. anything i can do? going out and make channels or counter fire is NOT an option. a titan ankathingysaurus with a shell is out there. sounds hard to kill, and it breathes fire. Thats how this got started in the first place. I just hope it hates elves too. and goblins
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:50:11 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16262 on: November 21, 2011, 05:15:50 pm »

a forest fire is killing my fps. anything i can do? going out and make channels or counter fire is NOT an option. a titan ankathingysaurus with a shell is out there. sounds hard to kill, and it breathes fire. Thats how this got started in the first place. I just hope it hates elves too. and goblins
If you can't get up to the surface then the only real thing you can do is to just wait for all of the trees/shrubs to burn away. Sure it might take a while, but afterwards you shouldn't have to worry about forest fires until the grass regrows.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16263 on: November 21, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »

If you don't mind using a semi-exploit, create lots of stockpiles on the surface.  They magically stop fires from passing, and you don't even need to send any dwarves out there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16264 on: November 21, 2011, 07:13:35 pm »

If you don't mind using a semi-exploit, create lots of stockpiles on the surface.  They magically stop fires from passing, and you don't even need to send any dwarves out there.

"semi"? That sounds like a definite exploit to me. :)

But yeah, there isn't much you can do. Even if you stop the fires, the titan will just create more. You'll just have to let them burn out. Then you can figure out what to do about the titan.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16265 on: November 21, 2011, 11:56:58 pm »

How did my miner fall down the former irrigation shaft? There was just a whole in the floor of my incomplete dining hall, and then I got the message that he had died from colliding with an object. There was no one else in the room at the time, he wasn't insane or tantrumming, and I just lost my only legendary miner in this fort. He didn't even have a reason to be in the room, it was unfurnished and empty.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16266 on: November 22, 2011, 12:10:52 am »

How did my miner fall down the former irrigation shaft? There was just a whole in the floor of my incomplete dining hall, and then I got the message that he had died from colliding with an object. There was no one else in the room at the time, he wasn't insane or tantrumming, and I just lost my only legendary miner in this fort. He didn't even have a reason to be in the room, it was unfurnished and empty.

I recall somebody describing DF as "The game where you play detective trying to solve the mystery of your fortress's death, as it happens." In cases where I've had this happen, it was because somebody passed him while next to the drop (causing them to occupy the same space, at which point the miner for some reason fell to his death,) being attacked and dodging into oblivion, but far and away the greatest cause of altitude-related misfortune has to be being the only freaking legendary miner in the fort. They get suicidal or something, I swear.

Good luck with that though.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16267 on: November 22, 2011, 02:21:37 am »

do fortifications protect against fire breath?

also, i have a free floating floor... why doesnt it fall down? i demolished bith the stairs used for construction and the support holding it up, now its just floating there
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:25:40 am by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16268 on: November 22, 2011, 03:39:56 am »

do fortifications protect against fire breath?

also, i have a free floating floor... why doesnt it fall down? i demolished bith the stairs used for construction and the support holding it up, now its just floating there

No fortifications do not protect against fire breath. some people shove a dragon in a room with fortifications and use kittens to make it shoot fire out of a fortification and into invaders.

Is the floor connected to a wall? walls stop floors from falling too

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16269 on: November 22, 2011, 04:10:55 am »

its suspended one z level above a wall, where the support was built ON the wall, theres an up-stairs on the z level below one square east, the up/down on the same z lvl that was beside the floor was removed, so that shouldnt support... or does an up stair support? when its not directly under, too.

next question about fire breath. is it like archery, shooting up/down as well, or like siege, staying on the same z level? i can find out myself, but that might cost lives

edit:

nvm, both questins answered. removed one of the stairs, colapse killed the one who did. Titan did not attack
surgeon died in colapse...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 04:18:40 am by Garath »

extizonse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16270 on: November 22, 2011, 10:50:02 am »

DISREGARD THAT I SUCK AT USING THE WIKI.

(Tried to edit it before anyone answered :-/ as I figured it out instantly after re-reading the using barrels and bins wikipage)

From what the Wiki has told me, I have to set a garbage dump nearby, and start dumping the contents out?

Also:

What is the priority of military training? Should I restrict all other jobs to guarantee training?

All of this is moot now, using the wiki properly instead of skim-reading like a douche I figured all my questions out.

I won't muck up this thread anymore, until I start learning pumps/pressure/advanced aquifier tactics/etc

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:13:38 am by extizonse »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16271 on: November 22, 2011, 10:52:49 am »

Simply designate the entire barrel to be brought to the trade depot and then while it is in the trading screen simply only hit enter to select the things in the barrel without actually selecting the barrel itself. This should then allow you to just trade the contents without trading the barrel and making them angry. You can also do the same thing with bins. Unfortunately I do not thing that this method works on liquids, and if you want to trade things like that then you will need to build rock pots and use those instead of barrels.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16272 on: November 22, 2011, 10:59:43 am »

Simply designate the entire barrel to be brought to the trade depot and then while it is in the trading screen simply only hit enter to select the things in the barrel without actually selecting the barrel itself. This should then allow you to just trade the contents without trading the barrel and making them angry. You can also do the same thing with bins. Unfortunately I do not thing that this method works on liquids, and if you want to trade things like that then you will need to build rock pots and use those instead of barrels.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work with barrels at all, just bins.  I've tried to trade barrels full of prepared food and plump helmets, but had to sell the entire barrel as you can't select just the contents.

I'd say to sell the barrels with their contents, but you're trading to elves.  For that, I recommend just taking what you want, and then shooting the elves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16273 on: November 22, 2011, 04:56:55 pm »

@Sphalerite
Hmm. Guess you are right on that one (that's what I get for posting in the middle of a math lecture :P).

If you really are dead set on trading with them rock pots should work fine though.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16274 on: November 22, 2011, 07:35:22 pm »

For the first time in recent memory I'm playing in an evil biome. Except that it doesn't appear very evil. I see no dead shrubs or trees (which is a good thing, but unexpected) and the only indication of this being an evil location is some of the vermin (phantom spiders, blood gnats, demon rats) and the occasional werewolf.

I thought some of the animals here were supposed to be undead. Am I missing something?
Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] 1086 1087 ... 1178