Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126418 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14835 on: September 02, 2011, 01:03:23 pm »

Why would I initiate a dump? So they go and grab the contents to remove it? I should get rid of that garbage-dump-over-magma zone first.
Yeah that is generally a good idea when dealing with mass dumps of things you want to keep.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14836 on: September 02, 2011, 01:38:09 pm »

If I disable weather to help with FPS, will my current frozen water still unfreeze in the spring?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14837 on: September 02, 2011, 01:51:05 pm »

CAn humans smelt coke?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14838 on: September 02, 2011, 02:12:34 pm »

If I disable weather to help with FPS, will my current frozen water still unfreeze in the spring?
I don't believe so.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14839 on: September 02, 2011, 02:14:26 pm »

I lost a legendary miner opening up my first magma channel/tunnel/river. As soon as she struck into the the rock to open the flow it washed over her left leg and melted her foot. She ran about 40 yards before bleeding to death.

It was really cool, actually.

But how do I avoid this waste of flesh in the future?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14840 on: September 02, 2011, 02:16:14 pm »

When possible, I tap into magma from above.  Dig a tunnel one tile short of piercing the magma.  Then on the Z-level above that, dig a channel down to remove that last blocking wall without sacrificing a dwarf.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14841 on: September 02, 2011, 02:30:59 pm »

When possible, I tap into magma from above.  Dig a tunnel one tile short of piercing the magma.  Then on the Z-level above that, dig a channel down to remove that last blocking wall without sacrificing a dwarf.
The z-level directly above is also solid rock bordering magma wall. To get to the space above the tile I need to channel, I'd have to open up that magma flow too. So, what do I do if I can't go above and channel down?

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14842 on: September 02, 2011, 02:38:40 pm »

Is there any way to set it so that a plot doesn't grow anything for a season?  I have an...overflow of crops.

1229 plump-helmets to be exact.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14843 on: September 02, 2011, 02:40:43 pm »

Q->(a,b,c,d)->z

The z-level directly above is also solid rock bordering magma wall. To get to the space above the tile I need to channel, I'd have to open up that magma flow too. So, what do I do if I can't go above and channel down?

You can channel it afaik, it wont just spout upwards.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14844 on: September 02, 2011, 02:47:08 pm »

Is there any way to set it so that a plot doesn't grow anything for a season?  I have an...overflow of crops.

1229 plump-helmets to be exact.

Go to the screen where you select what crop to grow and press the key for 'fallow'.  That will cause the crop to not be planted that season.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14845 on: September 02, 2011, 02:48:31 pm »

You can always go yet another level up until you find the top of the flow, then channel into that. There's gotta be a top level to it.

Otherwise just carve fortifications into the side of it, and have a door the dwarf will run behind. Afterwards, lock the door, then build a wall on ther other side of the door. 99% of the time the dwarf gets away fine.

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14846 on: September 02, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »

Is it possible to modify the raws to allow dwarves to train their stats past 5000?

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14847 on: September 02, 2011, 03:24:27 pm »

You can always go yet another level up until you find the top of the flow, then channel into that. There's gotta be a top level to it.

Otherwise just carve fortifications into the side of it, and have a door the dwarf will run behind. Afterwards, lock the door, then build a wall on ther other side of the door. 99% of the time the dwarf gets away fine.

It's not really a magma flow, as much as it is a magma volcano.
I think I'm just going to disable all the mining abilities of my miners, find some random schmuck migrant with no skills, give him the mining ability and allow him to become a Hero of the People by ordering him to mine into the volcano while we lock the obsidian doors behind him.
Maybe I'll assign him a puppy.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14848 on: September 02, 2011, 04:28:08 pm »

I believe that the magma flows slightly slower through diagonals. I could be wrong.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14849 on: September 02, 2011, 05:44:36 pm »

Do flying boulders cause damage to creatures? If they do, we could use bridges to creat a dwarven cannon.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 1178