Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 983 984 [985] 986 987 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126540 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14760 on: August 31, 2011, 12:31:52 pm »

@Ploder
I tend to just set up several craftsdwarf workshops and set the "make stone crafts" task to repeat with a group of crafter that have all labors disabled but crafting (and maybe wounded recovery/cleaning). Then you can just trade away massive amounts of the stone crafts to the traders which has the nice side effect of allowing you to pretty much buy anything that you want to without needing to worry about price in the slightest (my average caravan ends up leaving with well over 100,000 dwarfbucks in profit to the traders, but why do I care, its just a way to get rid of worthless stone). This will quickly burn through any extra stone you have (you can also speed up the process immensely by placing a stone stockpile set to collect non-economic stone right next to the workshops. This will greatly reduce the distance crafters have to walk to grab stone and speed up production vastly.)

@Agvkrioni
Non-tamed animals will often frighten the dwarves trying to haul them and allow them to escape (the only exception to this seems to be captured prisoners, which IIRC don't escape from dwarves except for maybe thieves). The simple way to cure this problem is to simply designate the specific creature's cage to be the one built through the e'x'pand menu. As for the tamed vermin, I find the simplest way to get rid of them is to place them in some cheap wooden cage and then dump them into magma.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14761 on: August 31, 2011, 01:04:54 pm »

@Agvkrioni
The simple way to cure this problem is to simply designate the specific creature's cage to be the one built through the e'x'pand menu.

I just attempted to build a cage, pressed "X" to expand the menu, but no cage looked like it had a creature in it. Doesn't it normally say inbetween parentheses if there is an animal in it? BTW, since I didn't see it I just tried to move it again and it escaped and terrorized a dwarf. I hope you're satisfied. I hope you're getting your stones off with this.
Poor dwarves are dying here.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14762 on: August 31, 2011, 01:12:27 pm »

Try 'v'iewing the cage and it should show if a creature is in it or not.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14763 on: August 31, 2011, 01:17:30 pm »

12amroy--Excellent tip--however, I've only just gotten my first wave of migrants, and have only 11 dwarves. Is it foolish to waste any of them on churning out stone crafts?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14764 on: August 31, 2011, 02:03:58 pm »

If you've got the list e(x)panded, the cage should be listed as "rabbit cage" or whatever. If it's currently being moved or handled (or I think even marked to be moved by a dwarf coming to collect it, not sure about that) it won't appear on the list though, so you might need to wait for the things to finish being moved.

To release vermin or other small critters in a cage, I usually just build the cage, link it to a lever, and pull the lever to open the cage. Still end up with the roaches running around somewhere, but at least they're not in the cage. If you want them dead and not running around... yeah, magma or something's probably your best bet.

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14765 on: August 31, 2011, 03:03:19 pm »

Is the only way to play multiple fortresses in the same world at the same time to copy the save to a new folder?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14766 on: August 31, 2011, 03:09:53 pm »

Yes, at which point you aren't playing multiple fortresses in the same world.  You're playing unrelated fortresses in multiple originally-identical worlds.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

pushingdwarves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14767 on: August 31, 2011, 03:13:27 pm »

Does it not rain through retracted bridges?

My sun roof design doesn't seem to be working. :(

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14768 on: August 31, 2011, 04:57:45 pm »

12amroy--Excellent tip--however, I've only just gotten my first wave of migrants, and have only 11 dwarves. Is it foolish to waste any of them on churning out stone crafts?

Usually early on I tend to just have a single dedicated craftsdwarf that makes all the crafts (and which also provides plenty of trade goods to trade for more important things, like wood or metal) and then later on I add more dwarves as my population expands. Make sure that you have some bins to expedite hauling items to the depot, it takes forever if the dwarves are carrying them one ring at a time. Mostly at the beginning though you just sort of have to deal with having thousands of stone boulders around as you just can't simply get rid of it fast enough. If it's just the sight of all the stone you can 'hide' it though with the [d][h] command. This will render anything that is hidden invisible (though any crafts or other things, i.e. changing it from 'bauxite' to 'bauxite crafts, mechanism, whatever' made out of it become visible again). Mind you that this will make any buildings caught in the area invisible as well, so you will have to go into the building items and unhide each one again to be able to see the building.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14769 on: August 31, 2011, 05:31:15 pm »

I just fought a Forgotten Beast. Although it was slain, the blood had a paralyzing effect which caused the conquering dwarf to suffocate. Is there an antidote or protection to this?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14770 on: August 31, 2011, 05:35:45 pm »

I just fought a Forgotten Beast. Although it was slain, the blood had a paralyzing effect which caused the conquering dwarf to suffocate. Is there an antidote or protection to this?
Not really. You can clean spilled blood underground by smoothing stone, or having dwarves clean it (designating a meeting area near the blood can help with this).
If you have a well, dwarves covered in blood may wash it off, this may or may not help the dwarf to avoid the suffocation.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14771 on: August 31, 2011, 05:41:11 pm »

Okay. Very important question here. Can dwarves admire a waterfall behind glass?

I ask because I'm building a huge block of apartments into the side of a canyon, and I'm piping water from my highland river so that it will fall down the cliff in front of each apartment, more or less. (This also will include a block of rooms for nobles that will have direct access to the pipeline for in room running water. And I mean running. I can't decide if it will drown them in their rooms or just shoot them out into the river.) I don't want to expose the cliff-dwellers to fliers, so I'm thinking either glass or fortifications, but I'm worried the dorfs won't notice my mist in either case. (Are there flying bowman goblins, btw? would fortifications get them slaughtered in their beds?)

-nightwhips
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14772 on: August 31, 2011, 05:43:09 pm »

The good thoughts from a waterfall only occur when the dwarf comes into direct physical contact with water mist.  It's not from seeing the waterfall, it's from feeling it.  So having glass between the dwarf and the waterfall will ruin the effect.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14773 on: August 31, 2011, 05:47:27 pm »

The good thoughts from a waterfall only occur when the dwarf comes into direct physical contact with water mist.  It's not from seeing the waterfall, it's from feeling it.  So having glass between the dwarf and the waterfall will ruin the effect.

Would a grate work, though?

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14774 on: August 31, 2011, 05:47:54 pm »

Thanks! Maybe grates in the rooms... Any idea if mist goes through fortifications? Maybe I need some !!science!!.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.
Pages: 1 ... 983 984 [985] 986 987 ... 1178