Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125717 times)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13155 on: July 08, 2011, 05:57:43 am »

Do eggs from merchants come fertilized?
Highly doubt it.  The act of an egg hatching seems to be liked to nest boxes.  And since there is no way to place an egg into a nest box. (other than the direct method) they won't hatch.

question:
so if you were to place a dump zone on the next box, place the egg there by dumping it, forbidding then the egg, remove the dump site, and letting it there for a while...will it grow or rot?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13156 on: July 08, 2011, 06:38:56 am »

does ordering my dwarves to "not carry any water" mean they won't carry any drink at all, or mean they'll only carry alcohol?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13157 on: July 08, 2011, 07:10:46 am »

so if you were to place a dump zone on the next box, place the egg there by dumping it, forbidding then the egg, remove the dump site, and letting it there for a while...will it grow or rot?

Feel free to try it, but I doubt it will work.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13158 on: July 08, 2011, 07:17:41 am »

The lepord that died in the aformentioned siege. His body is on my refuse pile. But I can't seem to do anything with it. Like tan his hide, or render fat, butcher, ect. He's labeled as mutilated.

A corpse, mutilated or not, needs to be butchered first.  Was the leopard tame or wild?  If it was tame, the corpse will be called "mutilated stray leopard corpse", and you cannot do anything with it, ever -- you might as well just atom-smash it.  If it was wild, build a butcher shop near it, or move it near an existing butcher shop, and someone should butcher it (assuming you left the default "auto-butcher" setting on; if you turned that off, then request a butcher job manually).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13159 on: July 08, 2011, 07:58:34 am »

I'm at war with the gobbos, will I actually get attacked by them now? I've never had a vanilla fort live long enough to get attacked my gobbos.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13160 on: July 08, 2011, 08:10:54 am »

Ok, got another question about equipping armor (as if there aren't enough already).

I've been working with the list found here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armor#Equipping_Clothing

How do you go about getting them to put things on in the right order?  I set up three different uniforms, starting with caps, mail shirts, socks, mittens, and trousers, then the next uniform had those items plus breastplate, helm, gauntlets, boots, greaves.  The final layer added cloaks and so on.  I thought doing this would get the dwarves to apply the armor in the appropriate layers, but some evidently didn't follow.

So, how do you guys go about getting them to put on all the armor and in the correct order?  Also, does material affect the size?  I'm having trouble particularly with the hats.  I set two steel caps, one steel helm, and 6 leather hoods, but they don't seem to want to put on one of the caps.

There's a maximum amount of armor and clothing they can wear at any one time -- it goes over it in the article, in the size/permit/layering portion. It's probably running into problems because all your points are getting taken up wearing six hoods or whatever, so there's no room for anything else.

If you set the following uniform:

mail shirt
breastplate
leather cloak
leather gloves/mittens
leather cap
leather trousers
cloth robe
cloth hood
metal helm
metal gauntlets
metal greaves
metal high boots
shield
melee weapon

It should work fine (that's the outfit I use). Don't have them wear socks, socks are buggy and they'll end up with one boot on one foot and two socks on the other. I find that if I try to have em wear anything more than that, they get confused and start opening gaps, but that outfit they always wear and it covers all body parts as much as possible.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 08:12:51 am by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #13161 on: July 08, 2011, 09:28:37 am »

mail shirt breastplate leather cloak  ...
Vanilla DF allows wearing three chainmails and one breastplate at once.
In my opinion the vanilla cloak and robe are too powerful defenses vs. blunt attacks, and they protect the head too.
Can test in the arena, one team wears two leather robes, other team leather caps hoods tunics pants shoes gloves.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13162 on: July 08, 2011, 10:16:40 am »

mail shirt breastplate leather cloak  ...
Vanilla DF allows wearing three chainmails and one breastplate at once.
In my opinion the vanilla cloak and robe are too powerful defenses vs. blunt attacks, and they protect the head too.
Can test in the arena, one team wears two leather robes, other team leather caps hoods tunics pants shoes gloves.

Yeah, I just find that if I have them wear any more than that list, then at least one out of the fifty will do something crazy like wear a bunch of mail shirts and no breastplate, or put on multiple hoods and no helm or something, plus it feels "exploity" to me to have em wear six cloaks or what have you, so I keep it simple.

Last I checked, the cloak and robe were the *only* armor that protected a few specific spots like the throat, so I view them as necessary. I think there's a bug where it'll often show the top layer as deflecting something when "really" it was deflected by the layer underneath, which makes cloaks and robes seem better than they are. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3196
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:19:30 am by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13163 on: July 08, 2011, 11:52:20 am »

At the risk of sounding like a terrible noob, I have a problem with ambushes.

I've played a lot of fortresses, some far larger and populated then this one, but the amount of ambushes I'm getting in this one is just absurd.

If I had to make an estimate I would say I'm getting 4-5 ambushes each season lately. My population of 50, 45 not in the military, cannot cope with all the hauling to clean up the mess being made by all the slaughter.

Now I'm not saying I'm having trouble defeating these ambushes, but it's severely disrupting the workflow of the fortress to the point where all able workers are hauling goblinite and removing the corpses and bodyparts nonstop, and as I mentioned they can't even keep up with the corpses being produced.

I've never ever seen so many goblins. I get less of the buggers in a siege, the siege being a lot more practical since they don't freaking appear out of nowhere killing the civs hauling the previous batch of corpses into the incinerator.

And don't even ask about the thieves, a goblin thief every other minute, how I still have infants in the fortress is beyond me.

Is there anything that might cause a massive amount of goblins to ambush your fortress? Should I increase my population so I get sieges, in the hopes that the amount of ambushes might decrease then?
I'd really like to get back to doing something else then disposing goblin corpses.  ::)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13164 on: July 08, 2011, 12:01:17 pm »

I suspect that a combination of 1) keeping your population low so you don't get sieges and 2) high wealth/value production in your fort, leads to absolutely crazy ambush stats. I just ran a fort at about ~60 dwarves for a few years and I got more ambush groups, every season, than you'd typically see in a siege.

Fischer541

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13165 on: July 08, 2011, 12:03:51 pm »

Cave Moss/Fungus will grow on just about anything right? Trying to make an underground pasture.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13166 on: July 08, 2011, 12:06:13 pm »

Bleah, just Mass Forbid the slain gobbos. Let them rot outside. Maybe they will get the hint when they see Aunt Snuso's mutilated corpse
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13167 on: July 08, 2011, 12:07:28 pm »

Cave Moss/Fungus will grow on just about anything right? Trying to make an underground pasture.

only on dirt/silt/loam, ect
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13168 on: July 08, 2011, 12:08:59 pm »

I'd let them rot outside but if I keep letting the corpses pile up I know it's going to start eating more and more processing keeping track of all the decomposition and wear going on.

My wealth at the moment stands at a bit more then a million dorfbucks I think. I don't know if this is a lot, I've not set up any real industry yet. I have however hunted a lot of eliphants and my legendary bone carver has been busy with the by products.

And moss will grow on any underground soil or muddy floor.
(yes I finally realized I was not seeing the moss due to the muddy floor tiles obscuring it, I feel so stupid)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:11:29 pm by Jelle »

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13169 on: July 08, 2011, 12:15:00 pm »

Jelle, you could design a courtyard where you lure them in to fight. Have a raised drawbridge that will act as a atomsmasher when battle is over
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 1178