Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125714 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12360 on: June 13, 2011, 04:14:50 am »

Am I right in assuming that the denser the metal, the better the crossbow bolt? So Silver would be better than steel for bolts? Kind like HEAT ammo  :P

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12361 on: June 13, 2011, 04:18:34 am »

That is the common belief.  Copper and silver (and cobaltite with the right mods)

Much like the type of ammo you mentioned I think crossbow bolts have enough speed and a small enough contact area that you just add mass and things like the metal the bolt is hitting become rapidly irrelevant (theres always the transmission of force equation that causes hits onto armor to resolve as a blunt attack, basically the armour hits the target for you through good old newtonian physics)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:20:58 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12362 on: June 13, 2011, 06:39:23 am »

(pig tail fiber sock)

what do the '(' and ')' mean?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: June 13, 2011, 07:05:49 am »

() means that the item was not manufactured at your fort. {} mean the item is forbidded.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: June 13, 2011, 08:55:10 am »

Yeah it's a goblin sock. I was wondering why nobody would remove it and I though the () did it but some dwarf has claimed it.
Hiding it worked so problem solved

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: June 13, 2011, 12:32:47 pm »

Which pieces you make depends on the ratio of metal:leather you want really.  Anyone who is expecting to be hit with weapons of any kind should have metal armour, leather is better used for animal defense (and then only smaller animals !not badgers!)

Leather bits (like cloak, pants, and hood specifically) are good at keeping FB blood off your Dwarfes skin during battle.

Summary: My Recommendation
Leather Hood, Metal Helm, Leather Cap
Metal Mail Shirt, Metal Breastplate, Leather Cloak
Leather Mitten, Metal Gauntlet
Leather Trousers, Metal Greaves
Metal High Boot
Oh, and shields, always give em shields (wood is fine)

Incidentally, My main use of leather armour is on the 10 or so squads of drafted haulers.  They never train or fight, its just a convenient way to armour your seige cleanup crew while letting them run away fast :)
This is how I outfit my fort.  Hasn't failed me yet (though I often do a Leather Coat instead of Metal Mail as I don't always have enough metal and I leather and shield everybody except Miners and Woodcutters).

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:34 pm »

Why do dwarves try and eat forbidden food? I have thousands of roasted foodstuff along with plants, meat, etc, all placed in reach of the dwarf without burrow restrictions, without military/squad orders interfering, without the dwarf being starved (or even hungry), with the food he's trying to eat already rotten and with the food being forbidden and double checked that it's actually forbidden by looking around with k in the game world and making sure it's forbidden with within my stocks menu as well. Seriously, why the hell are they trying to eat rotten, forbidden food?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12367 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:58 pm »

This is how I outfit my fort.  Hasn't failed me yet (though I often do a Leather Coat instead of Metal Mail as I don't always have enough metal and I leather and shield everybody except Miners and Woodcutters).
Vanilla robes and cloaks as way too good as armor, I say. They absorb a lot of blunt attacks, just test them in the arena: blunt squad 1 with leather robe or cloak vs. blunts 2 with leather coat and hood and leggings. Robe-team should totally win due to "huge surface area absorbs the blunt".
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12368 on: June 13, 2011, 10:04:03 pm »

Why do dwarves try and eat forbidden food? I have thousands of roasted foodstuff along with plants, meat, etc, all placed in reach of the dwarf without burrow restrictions, without military/squad orders interfering, without the dwarf being starved (or even hungry), with the food he's trying to eat already rotten and with the food being forbidden and double checked that it's actually forbidden by looking around with k in the game world and making sure it's forbidden with within my stocks menu as well. Seriously, why the hell are they trying to eat rotten, forbidden food?

Are you sure he's not trying to move it to a refuse stockpile?  If not, perhaps it's because it's forbidden.  I mean, isn't that why kids smoke?

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12369 on: June 13, 2011, 10:52:12 pm »

what do I do with a crap load of goblins clothing ?

I have a crap load of goblin clothings (after a crap load of ambushes) and I have no idea what to do with them.

another thing I would like to ask, is there a minimum amount of dwarf before you get sieges ?

I limit my pop cap to 50 to prevent lagging, but because of this, I have not get a single siege (just a lot of ambush)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: June 13, 2011, 11:11:33 pm »

I have a crap load of goblin clothings (after a crap load of ambushes) and I have no idea what to do with them.

another thing I would like to ask, is there a minimum amount of dwarf before you get sieges ?

I limit my pop cap to 50 to prevent lagging, but because of this, I have not get a single siege (just a lot of ambush)
I believe the sieges start at around 80 dorfs.

Goblin clothes can be traded off to traders. I think.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12371 on: June 14, 2011, 12:10:01 am »

I believe the sieges start at around 80 dorfs.

Goblin clothes can be traded off to traders. I think.
Correct on both; the only caveat regarding trading is that dwarfs may very well claim goblin clothes as their own. Personally, I sew images into them; trains clothiers, and increases created wealth.

My question: Underground lakes provide sourced, infinite, water, correct? Or is it only if they run up against the map edge? I suspect the latter, but am not sure and cannot find a certain answer.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: June 14, 2011, 01:04:53 am »

My question: Underground lakes provide sourced, infinite, water, correct? Or is it only if they run up against the map edge? I suspect the latter, but am not sure and cannot find a certain answer.

My experience agrees with the latter; as long as there is a tile on the edge of the map, infinite water is yours for the taking.

Otherwise, it's finite.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12373 on: June 14, 2011, 01:08:01 am »

My experience agrees with the latter; as long as there is a tile on the edge of the map, infinite water is yours for the taking.

Otherwise, it's finite.
This is correct.

Though if your outdoor water freezes in the winter and thaws in the Summer you also technically have infinitely regeerating water.
« Reply #12374 on: June 14, 2011, 03:49:47 am »

Are enemies supposed to disappear if they get out of sight while fleeing?

I have a bunch of uncompleted missions because I start fighting the target, mess them up, and they run off faster than me and then disappear. One of them had no feet! I don't know how they can run hella fast without feet!

Edit: Can they hide, maybe? I just tried to sneak accidentally (caps lock ><) and it said someone could see me, but as far as I can tell I am alone. The only things around me are corpses and bags.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:53:17 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 1178