Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125893 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12255 on: June 08, 2011, 01:15:35 pm »

You can ALWAYS butcher animals your military kills. They simply need to be close enough to a butchery.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12256 on: June 08, 2011, 01:16:34 pm »

In fact, if it was a military or friendly animal kill, it might not qualify as a butcherable corpse at all.  Uncertain.  I don't use militaries anymore since they got annoying, and my dogs are just early warning so I know to pull the levers...
With wild animal corpses, it doesn't matter how they were killed.  Wild animals killed by your military or war dogs, or for that matter by traps or old age, can still be butchered just fine, assuming they could have been butchered in the first place.  You just need to turn gathering of refuse from outside on to make some dwarf go out and pick the corpse up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12257 on: June 08, 2011, 01:27:23 pm »

In fact, if it was a military or friendly animal kill, it might not qualify as a butcherable corpse at all.  Uncertain.  I don't use militaries anymore since they got annoying, and my dogs are just early warning so I know to pull the levers...
With wild animal corpses, it doesn't matter how they were killed.  Wild animals killed by your military or war dogs, or for that matter by traps or old age, can still be butchered just fine, assuming they could have been butchered in the first place.  You just need to turn gathering of refuse from outside on to make some dwarf go out and pick the corpse up.
actually there is a strange thing (idk if is may be called a bug) with butchering wild animals. When a wild animal bodypart or entire corpse is small enough (like the size of rhesus macaque's limb or a duck/rabbit corpse) it is not butchered at your butcher's shop. instead, rabbit corpses and macaque legs keep cluttering your stockpiles until you dump&smash them, and if you queue a "Butcher an animal" command you get an error that none is available. This may be the case with badger size limbs, too, but the intact corpse should definitely be processed.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12258 on: June 08, 2011, 02:30:14 pm »

Corpses which are too small to produce any meat won't be butchered.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12259 on: June 08, 2011, 05:30:20 pm »

Anyway to change the minimum number of dwarves needed to have strange moods?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12260 on: June 08, 2011, 05:37:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is hard-coded.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Stormphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12261 on: June 09, 2011, 01:12:00 am »

When I change what a stockpile accepts, for example banning seeds on my food stockpile and creating one just for seeds, my dwarves dont seem to move the seeds out of the food stockpile into the new one. How do I get them to do this?

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12262 on: June 09, 2011, 02:56:53 am »

So my manager/book keeper/trader was getting a little busy and behind with things (can't come to trade because stocktake, gets behind on work orders due to trading, etc).

I decide to appoint the newly arrived fish dissector/administrator as my manager to share the load a bit.

Trouble is, the lazy little ^%# is not managing.  He has moved his clothes into his office, and only goes there to eat.  Are some dwarves just lazy? How can I force him to do some work orders? I've tried putting him in a burrow, but he just eats and sulks.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12263 on: June 09, 2011, 04:38:36 am »

When I change what a stockpile accepts, for example banning seeds on my food stockpile and creating one just for seeds, my dwarves dont seem to move the seeds out of the food stockpile into the new one. How do I get them to do this?

Where are the seeds now? In a bag that is in a barrel with with others seeds and food? Since your new seed stockpile won't accept foo, that barrel cannot be moved there. Or they are in barrel but your seed stockpile is not accepting barrels.

Make garbage dump and hunt down seed bags with (k) or with stocks menu (if you have bookkeeper high enough) and dump them. Or just mass dump everything that is touched by seeds. Then claim evything from that garbage dump, and dwarfs should sort everything in order.

You might need to do it hard way with mass dump, ie. hunt every seed bag (or even every seed) to dump since sometimes Urist McHauler is happy with dumping when he just hauls that barrel (and everything inside it) to garbage, and now everything you marked for dump is dumped.

Sorting food stuff is pain to do, especially later on the game. I normally start sorting them as soon as possible.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12264 on: June 09, 2011, 05:12:16 am »

If you want to increase the cap simply [ARTIFACTS:NO] in d_init.txt and turn it on later when you're ready to deal with the added fun.

You can't reduce the cap under 20 however. That's hard coded.

Question: anyone successfully crafted puzzleboxes in 21.35? I've had no luck with wood, stone or metal fulfilling my mandate.

Stormphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12265 on: June 09, 2011, 06:55:21 am »

[Where are the seeds now? In a bag that is in a barrel with with others seeds and food? Since your new seed stockpile won't accept foo, that barrel cannot be moved there. Or they are in barrel but your seed stockpile is not accepting barrels.

Make garbage dump and hunt down seed bags with (k) or with stocks menu (if you have bookkeeper high enough) and dump them. Or just mass dump everything that is touched by seeds. Then claim evything from that garbage dump, and dwarfs should sort everything in order.

You might need to do it hard way with mass dump, ie. hunt every seed bag (or even every seed) to dump since sometimes Urist McHauler is happy with dumping when he just hauls that barrel (and everything inside it) to garbage, and now everything you marked for dump is dumped.

Sorting food stuff is pain to do, especially later on the game. I normally start sorting them as soon as possible.

Thanks for this - seems quite a circular way round to do it, I would have thought the dwarves were smart enough to just take the seeds out of the barrels...

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12266 on: June 09, 2011, 07:21:46 am »

If they have the proper jobs for hauling the stockpile items, and they are not doing more important work, they should immediately start to move items.  This is also assuming that you have room in the stockpile.  If you just mined out a room with some high skill miners, there won't be room on the floor of that room for items until you clean out the rock.

Pathing is also critical.  I can't begin to remember how many times I've deleted up stairs/ramps by accident.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12267 on: June 09, 2011, 09:11:23 am »

It needs to be in a refuse stockpile to be butchered

Completely untrue.  Corpses just need to be close to a butcher shop.  You can either dump the corpse to a place near your existing butcher shop, or go build a butcher shop near the corpse, or set up a refuse stockpile.  I never use refuse stockpiles myself.  The number of animals I kill through military action or with weapon traps is small enough that in the rare event I need to butcher one, a dump order is sufficient.  But that's just me.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12268 on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:24 pm »

... I would have thought the dwarves were smart enough ...

Ah, there is your problem. Never underestimate power stupidity in large number of Urists.  ;)
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12269 on: June 09, 2011, 07:55:13 pm »

... I would have thought the dwarves were smart enough ...

Ah, there is your problem. Never underestimate power stupidity in large number of Urists.  ;)

I try to think of my dwarves as either:

1) Lobotomized idiot savants - they do a couple things really well, and that's all I want them to do.

2) Punch-drunk ex-boxers or victims of violent crime that never got good counseling - prone to do absurd things with no warning.

3) Lazy & violent teenagers - Leaving their clothes lying around the fortress and not bothering to clean up blood or vomit from the last party.

The saddest thing is that Toady really has created a reasonably decent model of society.  Seriously.  I work in a large, moderately successful company, and sometimes the things I see parts of my company doing are more absurd than dwarven sock-sense.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 1178