Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125886 times)

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12225 on: June 07, 2011, 02:38:00 pm »

Is there a limit to how many arrows a quiver can hold?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: June 07, 2011, 06:42:54 pm »

the limit is five stacks but the stacks can be anything from 1 to 999999999 remember size doesnt matter  :P
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

PFactorial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: June 07, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »

Is there an application like Dwarf Therapist that doesnt require "Qt" or "Microsoft Framework"? Something lightweight, that will fit in about ten to thirty megabytes? No other programs needed, etc...

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12228 on: June 07, 2011, 07:57:22 pm »

dont think so dorf therapist is very complicated and needs room for a hostage negotiator and a SWAT team incase the dorfs dont get their crystal glass
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12229 on: June 07, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »

Is there a way to combine stacks together in fortress mode?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: June 07, 2011, 08:05:12 pm »

Is there a way to combine stacks together in fortress mode?
I don't think so.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:57 pm »

i read away to do it awhile ago but you could make a reaction that makes a hundred bolts and they should be in one stack

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: June 07, 2011, 10:07:15 pm »

dont think so dorf therapist is very complicated and needs room for a hostage negotiator and a SWAT team incase the dorfs dont get their crystal glass

He's not talking about how complicated it is.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12233 on: June 07, 2011, 11:04:33 pm »

Does anyone know where to find a good advanced military tutorial?  I can do the basic stuff like form squads and set kill orders, but I'd like to find some info on how to stack uniforms so my dwarfs are more protected, and about assigning weapons.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: June 08, 2011, 03:00:10 am »

For a given level, either I'm in a sedimentary layer or a metamorphic layer, right? So as soon as start finding a metamorphic stone, it is safe to say that I won't find iron in the whole level, as this need a sedimentary layer, right?

Stormphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: June 08, 2011, 03:45:53 am »

Do I have to feed non grazing animals, like cats and dogs?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: June 08, 2011, 04:16:51 am »

Hi all,

I recently defeated all the goblins and trolls that were sieging me, and bulks claimed all the stuff on their bodies.
As usual all my idle dwarfs ran out of the fortress to collect the stuff, but this time 10 of them were still left idle.
I was curious, so I selected the "u" option and scrolled down the list, and sure enough there were 10 dwarves, apparently at random, with no jobs. When I selected them they had no labours enabled at all.
Sometimes I had turned off the main labour on my Trader, but that's all.

What happened to them? Was it something I did?

I reset them to have the labours they should had based on their skills, plus the usual hauling and healthcare, but its a puzzle as to why I had to.

Check if they are elite warriors - when a full-time warrior trains to be elite (great+ at weapon skill) he gets all civilians labours off.

Is there a limit to how many arrows a quiver can hold?

That's no limit, but dwarves will not add any more stacks into the quiver if it already has 25 or more bolts in it. I have observed quivers with 25 stacks of 1 bolt each in 31.25, so i think "5 stacks" answer is wrong.

For a given level, either I'm in a sedimentary layer or a metamorphic layer, right? So as soon as start finding a metamorphic stone, it is safe to say that I won't find iron in the whole level, as this need a sedimentary layer, right?
That's not entirely correct, because layers vary by biomes. If your embark area encompasses several biomes, you can have different layers at the same z-level.

Do I have to feed non grazing animals, like cats and dogs?
No, they do not eat at all in .25

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: June 08, 2011, 05:56:06 am »

ok, so this is for each biome. Either metamorphic, or sedimentary... Great info though!

I read that marble is a 'flux stone', but can be found in metamorphic layer. What flux means exactly? I don't get the wording.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: June 08, 2011, 05:59:21 am »

ok, so this is for each biome. Either metamorphic, or sedimentary... Great info though!

I read that marble is a 'flux stone', but can be found in metamorphic layer. What flux means exactly? I don't get the wording.
Flux stones have magical steel-making properties.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: June 08, 2011, 06:01:28 am »

When you make steel, you should find a balance of carbon amount in iron to make it have right properties.
Charcoal or coke adds carbon to iron in df, and flux stone is to reduce the amount of carbon. somehow, combining these the methods gives you steel - iron with just right amount of carbon in it
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1178