Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120556 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11205 on: May 03, 2011, 11:31:26 pm »

Mass forbid/claim/dump/undump/hide/unhide is in the [d]->[ b ] menu.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11206 on: May 04, 2011, 12:39:49 am »

Apart from the aforementioned mass reclaiming (which should be suitable for your needs,) I don't think there is a way to do it- AFAIK the other orders only apply to your dwarves.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11207 on: May 04, 2011, 01:11:16 am »

So instead of sending a caravan in spring of the second year, the elves sent two squads of ambushers. They shot up all my livestock and left.

I checked the civ screen and it shows the terror/vengeance exchange you usually see with goblin civs.

Will the elves ever sue for peace? I need their animals and seeds.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11208 on: May 04, 2011, 04:39:09 am »

Apart from the aforementioned mass reclaiming (which should be suitable for your needs,) I don't think there is a way to do it- AFAIK the other orders only apply to your dwarves.

Mmh? I thought there was a "recover enemy's equipement" in the o menu? I'll have to check it out...

There's also the possibility of using the "z" screen to unforbid categories such as <<Iron breastplate>>. It's what I use to recover all the metal stuff from the battleground. I then mass-dump everything else. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:42:07 am by kardwill »

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11209 on: May 04, 2011, 03:19:09 pm »

I prospected 20k Galena (Lead + 20% silver), 17k Garniterite (Nickel), 7k Native copper, 5.5k Tetrahedrite (copper + silver), 2k Funobtanium, 1.6k Native silver, 1k Hematite (Iron), Flux, some gold and aluminium, and no coal. This is more than I can burn through, even with 7 magma smelters, but my question concerns lead and nickel. What should I do with all this stuff? I can use Nickel for pipes and grates for magma pumpstack, but lead seems useless. I compared weights of crates and cages made of wood, and metal, and wood is far better. Both Nickel and Lead have value 2, which is not much better than stone, so using it for decorations or crafts seems counter-productive, other than to train metal crafters and blacksmiths, and sell masterworks. Hm, maybe that is what I should do with this junk. I'm not asking for Dwarfy uses of Lead and Nickel, but practical, businesslike and boring.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11210 on: May 04, 2011, 03:29:42 pm »

Besides using it for decorations for training, use the nickle for barrels and bins.  Another source of those doesn't hurt.

If it's all I have I make lead statues for training.  Then decorate the fort with them or melt them down.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11211 on: May 04, 2011, 03:34:26 pm »

I've cage-trapped a Bronze Colossus, because my military had just suffered from a siege involving Ogres, whose capes magically deflected steel. (I'm assuming that's a bug.)

Anyway, I absolutely don't want this fella to escape or hang around any longer than necessary. I'm weakened and I just couldn't afford for him to get out in any kind of mistake. If I put his cage under a bridge and atom-smash him, will it kill him?

I know that normally large monsters just make bridges collapse, but I wasn't sure if that still applied when it was a bronze colossus.

Otherwise I'm thinking it would be quite dwarfy to have him in a 1x1 square room with Fortifications for walls, near a stockpile of bone or copper bolts, so I can use him as target practice when I replenish my military with a Marksdwarves squad. I'm assuming, being bronze, that weaker metals would take a LONG time to kill him  ;D

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11212 on: May 04, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »

BC behind fortifications should be great for training Marksdwarves. A good design of it would probably involve chanelled space below fortifications, to smelt separated bolts, and closed hatch above colossus.
Another good use for it, might be against clowns, soemone actually threw like 10 FBs at them, and weakened them significantly.

If I mine a whole level of funobtanium, and find no funny hole, there should also be no cavity above it, so it should be safe to mine out, right?
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11213 on: May 04, 2011, 04:08:33 pm »

So I breached the wrong part of the cotton candy pillar and the circus attacked. Luckily, I had a drawbridge ready to block the only way in and I threw the switch in time. The circus stayed near the bridge for a while. Now it appears to be gone. I opened the drawbridge again. No attacks. Plugged the cotton candy hole, though. Did the circus leave town?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11214 on: May 04, 2011, 04:10:10 pm »

If I mine a whole level of funobtanium, and find no funny hole, there should also be no cavity above it, so it should be safe to mine out, right?
Yes, I believe. Unless you've got a bugged spire, in which case it'll let the circus out when it "should".

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11215 on: May 04, 2011, 04:26:55 pm »

Just wondering, I have 57 Dwarfs now, should my Exp. Leader have become a mayor?
And I have 340128 created wealth and there is a Goblin-faction listed in the [c]ivilization list. I'm in my third or fourth year I suppose but I've never even seen a single Goblin thief. Nor even a Kobold one.  ???
Also, how large is the penalty for Art Defacement? I accidentally, apparently, defaced an engraving by my legendary engraver but he's still ecstatic.  :-[
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11216 on: May 04, 2011, 04:32:46 pm »

I'm planning a spideriffic demise for the circus. Lots of webbed cage traps, and a backup line of weapon traps (fully loaded with giant adamantine/silver weapons) being actively sprayed with silk so that they all get nabbed. And all they'll find at the end of this tunnel of fun is a marble door that leads to a raised bridge.

Also, if you want to slow down the clowns long enough to get a bridge raised, I suggest just placing a door in the path right before the bridge; they'll stop just long enough to destroy the door, which SHOULD be just long enough to guarantee the bridges will come up.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11217 on: May 04, 2011, 04:43:03 pm »

Just wondering, I have 57 Dwarfs now, should my Exp. Leader have become a mayor?
And I have 340128 created wealth and there is a Goblin-faction listed in the [c]ivilization list. I'm in my third or fourth year I suppose but I've never even seen a single Goblin thief. Nor even a Kobold one.  ???
Also, how large is the penalty for Art Defacement? I accidentally, apparently, defaced an engraving by my legendary engraver but he's still ecstatic.  :-[
Kobolds usually don't survive worldgen, due to their inability to produce their own food.

The negative thought for destruction of a masterful item/engraving can be large or small, depending on how many masterpieces the dwarf has created. A dwarf who's made 200 masterwork engravings won't be too affected.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11218 on: May 04, 2011, 04:59:32 pm »

Everything I try to pit from a cage escapes almost constantly. Is there a way to prevent that?
Also, giant badgers apparently don't attack goblins when I pit them together. Can I get them to aggro each other, besides modding trainable giant war badgers? I don't want to have to regen.

EDIT: What string do I change to make GCS able to reproduce?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:03:40 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11219 on: May 04, 2011, 05:13:56 pm »

if you just want to kill them, just dump the cages in a magma pit with an internal atom smasher (dump them in, pull the lever), using wooden cages. Your carpenter won't be happy about seeing his crap get smashed, but he can live with it. certain monsters cannot be pitted reliably, notably most thief types. the goblins should always be disarmed first (dump all clothing and weapons in the stocks screen that you didn't make yourself). If there's already something "scary" in the pit, and you don't have the pit covered with a hatch, it'll scare your dwarves and thus free whatever creature they were trying to pit.

If you want them to have an arena deathmatch, then use something that WILL kill the goblins, such as a forgotten beast, preferably without wings and without a syndrome breath weapon. Consider placing a room off of your cavern entrance containing nothing but a stone or wooden door, past your traps. The back of the room is a raised bridge blocking a path to the arena, and there is another bridge to close off the room from the hallway. When you wish DEATH to happen, release the FB by lowering the REAR bridge, and when you wish to put the forgotten beast back in the room, close it into the ARENA, build a wooden door inside the holding cell again, close off the room from the main hallway, and then let the FB back into it's room. It'll stay by the door long enough to trash it, at which point you close it in completely. I do this to deal with unwanted immigrants and nobles and children. Otherwise, see if you can trap a giant cave spider, and use noexotics (you don't need to regen if you apply it to your save file's raws as well, but it's a one-way conversion), because then you can apply silk webs to your trap hallway.

In the end, pits are NOT a reliable way to free monsters. It's easier just to link cages up, and then release them that way once they are properly sequestered.
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 1178