Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115290 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #5970 on: December 12, 2010, 12:56:34 pm »

well, they are doing everything right. they just go to the burrow and find something to do there. so yeah.
jk!
the thing is that you need to assign them to military squads and leave them. activate them if you want (I'm tired now, if you need help just ask) and they should start training. but modify the burrow to allow access to the food/booze pile otherwise they'll starve to death/dehydrate
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: December 12, 2010, 12:58:17 pm »

So theres something at my farmers shop thats been causing miasma but i just cant figure out what it is.  Any tips for figuring it out and dumping it?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: December 12, 2010, 01:09:49 pm »

press [ t ] and hover over the workshop to see what's inside. look for "rotten". I think you can dump it through the menu.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: December 12, 2010, 01:54:53 pm »

press [ t ] and hover over the workshop to see what's inside. look for "rotten". I think you can dump it through the menu.

On the [t] menu, press [ d ] on the rotten item.

Be sure to establish a garbage dump outside your fort first...

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: December 12, 2010, 01:59:10 pm »

I've run into a problem with my game: my butcher's shop doesn't seem to be working anymore. I can't tell if it's related to being sieged for some reason, but marking an animal for slaughter doesn't cause the job to appear in the butcher's shop. I've slaughtered many animals leading upto this point, so I have no idea why it's not working. Also, requesting the job on the manager screen doesn't put the job into the butcher's shop either.

Has anyone had this happen? Would check the wiki.. but.. yeah.

Did you reassign everybody to burrows during the siege, and is the shop outside of the burrow? Did you forbid any materials during the siege and accidentally cause a workshop made of those materials to become forbidden? Did any building destroyers start doing their thing to that workshop? Did a building destroyer's handiwork cause access to that workshop to be cut off?

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: December 12, 2010, 04:15:53 pm »

Really starting to piss me off now.
I have a refuse pile, a corpse pile and a zone designated as a garbage dump.

Why the hell won't my idlers pick the god damn dragonfly remains up?!
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: December 12, 2010, 04:44:33 pm »

if its outside you have to set their work orders to pick up outside refuse

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: December 12, 2010, 04:52:03 pm »

A titan just showed up as a caravan was leaving. If they get slaughtered by it, will the civilization blame me?

edit: Ok hypothetical question, suppose some merchants went stark raving mad because they couldn't leave because of a titan, and suppose I retracted my skybridge, and suppose they are all dead now. Is that civ pissed off at me now?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:00:47 pm by drseptapus »
I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: December 12, 2010, 05:01:35 pm »

Can miasma be sorted out 'internally' by any means besides trickery with the game?

Like, I made an "outdoor" farm by making a hole then paving over it. Can I do the same to keep miasma off my refuse pile?

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: December 12, 2010, 05:18:19 pm »

Does proximity / number of goblin fortresses in relation to your fort increase the frequency and number of attacks?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: December 12, 2010, 05:24:03 pm »

Can miasma be sorted out 'internally' by any means besides trickery with the game?

Like, I made an "outdoor" farm by making a hole then paving over it. Can I do the same to keep miasma off my refuse pile?
Yes, outdoor refuse pile

Does proximity / number of goblin fortresses in relation to your fort increase the frequency and number of attacks?
Proximity yes, confirmed. Frequency not sure, speculated. The game seem to attack only once per season with size depending on your fort's *value*
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: December 12, 2010, 05:44:01 pm »

Asked a bit back. My butcher's shop isn't showing the jobs to 'butcher an animal' when I mark them for slaughter. Had a search but I can't find info on this. Has anyone had this happen?

The only thing I can think is that it might be related to asking to butcher a kitten but the kitten was dragged into a cage at the same time. And we're getting sieged. And we have 1000 meals, so maybe the meat industry has gone on strike or something.

Am I boned because nobody is deboning my meat?

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: December 12, 2010, 06:11:53 pm »

Thanks.

It seems that digging rooms in soil is largely useless. Well, except for rigging up elaborate entrances to hideously befall invaders.

Is it worth just digging straight down to rock at the start of a fortress? Maybe with some dirt hallways at the top for later defensive use?

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: December 12, 2010, 06:21:43 pm »

It seems when my marksdwarfs go to train, they strip off all their clothes, and won't use bolts but will grab a crossbow. What am i doing wrong?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: December 12, 2010, 07:08:04 pm »

Is there something like nanofort for the latest version of DF?
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 1178