Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117663 times)

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3720 on: September 22, 2010, 06:57:10 am »

I'd have a question on exports... Apparently, I will get a Baron after reaching 10k exports.  I had it at 6k, so I robbed an elven caravan and gave a Dwarven caravan stuff worth of perhaps 30k, but the exports rose only to 7,5k after the caravan left the map - so apparently only stuff created/mined on the embark area and then exported counts as exports, right? I can get rich robbing elves & gobbos, but not rise export value?

BTW, is there ANY reason to actually want a Baron?  :D
that could be a bug.
Could you post the details on a bugtracker?

You cant get the dungeon master without the baron(ess). I guess, its the only reason to ever want him/her.=)

Could be and RGR, so no real hurry with him. How about the military ranks, Champion, General and Liutenants? Wiki says almost nothing about them, but apparently Barony activates them as well.
"A champion has no special room requirements, but may make a single demand eventually. As the title of champion is now bestowed by appointment rather than merit, you may want to have your best teacher  be the champion and conduct weapon demonstrations to boost the morale of training soldiers while your toughest killers go out and fight goblins." from wiki.

well, he`s cool, yeah, but 10 dwarves, who spent 3 years in danger room just dont need him. =)
One mode demand maker to satisfy. =\
And about General and Liutenants - frankly speaking, i never saw any of them...
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: September 22, 2010, 08:46:30 am »

I'd have a question on exports... Apparently, I will get a Baron after reaching 10k exports.  I had it at 6k, so I robbed an elven caravan and gave a Dwarven caravan stuff worth of perhaps 30k, but the exports rose only to 7,5k after the caravan left the map - so apparently only stuff created/mined on the embark area and then exported counts as exports, right? I can get rich robbing elves & gobbos, but not rise export value?

that could be a bug.

You cant get the dungeon master without the baron(ess). I guess, its the only reason to ever want him/her.=)

How do you get the dungeon master even with the baron? I've got a baroness but no DM has showed up and it's been several years.

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: September 22, 2010, 08:54:10 am »

that could be a bug.

How do you get the dungeon master even with the baron? I've got a baroness but no DM has showed up and it's been several years.
Getting DM is bugget in current version. I NEVER saw one in 0.31.xx.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Dungeon_master

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:22 am »

I have some adamantine cloth. How do I make a robe and other cloth out of it?
<job manager>
The appropriate jobs are in the forge, under the "Metal clothing" section.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: September 22, 2010, 09:05:15 am »

I have some adamantine cloth. How do I make a robe and other cloth out of it?
<job manager>
The appropriate jobs are in the forge, under the "Metal clothing" section.
He-he..
I stopped using workshops job queues at all once i start "equip 20 dwarves in steel" project in my second fort...
i usually appoint manager from a first wave migrants.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: September 22, 2010, 09:28:35 am »

that could be a bug.

Could be and RGR, so no real hurry with him. How about the military ranks, Champion, General and Liutenants? Wiki says almost nothing about them, but apparently Barony activates them as well.
"A champion has no special room requirements, but may make a single demand eventually. As the title of champion is now bestowed by appointment rather than merit, you may want to have your best teacher  be the champion and conduct weapon demonstrations to boost the morale of training soldiers while your toughest killers go out and fight goblins." from wiki.

well, he`s cool, yeah, but 10 dwarves, who spent 3 years in danger room just dont need him. =)

Yeah, figured that out... Now year 9 beginning, and I have 3 soldiers who are legendary or above in at least Fighter skill, out of 35 military, with about 10 military casualties so far - and without a danger room - I consider it an exploit as long as my Fort's existence isnt endangered.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: September 22, 2010, 09:44:07 am »

Every now and then I see someone actually take his food/booze(or even both) to his room and eat there on his table sitting on his chair, but usually most of the Dwarves just eat/drink in the stockpiles, straight from barrels.

Dwarves drink by picking up a barrel of booze and holding it over their mouth until they are finished.  This will generally happen in a booze stockpile or in a brewery (wherever the booze happens to be).

Dwarves eat by taking a meal out of a stockpile and bringing it to a chair, ideally one with a table next to it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MycoRunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: September 22, 2010, 11:46:45 am »

Games saves/ folders question:

Sometimes I have too much Fun and have to start over. I usually delete my saves or move them because there are too many to choose from in the "continue playing" screen. Is there a way to get rid of all my saves, but keep the world that was generated?

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:07 pm »

that could be a bug.

Yeah, figured that out... Now year 9 beginning, and I have 3 soldiers who are legendary or above in at least Fighter skill, out of 35 military, with about 10 military casualties so far - and without a danger room - I consider it an exploit as long as my Fort's existence isnt endangered.
in genesis mode it`ll be endagered constanly =)

Phalangie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: September 22, 2010, 12:28:03 pm »

So, I accidentally managed to breach a river, which promptly started to flow all the way down my staircase into a cavern system. Is there any way to stop the flow of water in a one-tile corridor or down stairs? It's killing my framerate...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: September 22, 2010, 12:35:35 pm »

So, I accidentally managed to breach a river, which promptly started to flow all the way down my staircase into a cavern system. Is there any way to stop the flow of water in a one-tile corridor or down stairs? It's killing my framerate...
No way other than blocking it off, that I know of.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: September 22, 2010, 01:46:51 pm »

Build wells between chained prisoners and dig out a reservoir beneath the jail! Then create food stockpile next to a prisoners.

Jail for 7 clients(2 blocks, 2 mechanisms, 2 ropes(for well), 7 chains):

FSFSF
SoSoS
FSFSF

LEGEND:
S - restraint
o-well
F-food
stockpile, that accept only consumable food of high quality, so prisoners wont become unhappy.

I tried placing prepared food in thier cells. For whatever reason my chained prisoners won't eat anything unless it's brought by another dwarf.

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: September 22, 2010, 01:54:52 pm »

Alright so a few questions for now.

Whats the best way to catch big fish like: Carp, sharks, and gar the big ones that can be made into leather?

I've been telling my dwarfs to train and spar and I had my first ambush in this fort and it was a disaster: out of the seven three had to be hospitalized.
Is sparring just so much garbadge now a days? Am I really going to have to build a danger room in order to get my dwarfs in any kind of fighting shape?

And my last question is: I've noticed that elfs and goblins usually ride animals into battle, can dwarfs ride animals as well?

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #3733 on: September 22, 2010, 02:23:50 pm »

Games saves/ folders question:

Sometimes I have too much Fun and have to start over. I usually delete my saves or move them because there are too many to choose from in the "continue playing" screen. Is there a way to get rid of all my saves, but keep the world that was generated?

I'm probably gonna get something wrong here, but..

That depends on what you mean by "keep". If you want to regenerate the world without the fortress you previously built, you start up the chosen fortress file, hit ESC and choose Export Local Image. Hitting "e" will then save off a copy of the world's init file to your main DF directory, which you need to open with a text editor, give the world some unique name in the TITLE line, and copy and paste the whole works into world_gen.txt under data/init. You can then re-start the game, choose "Design New World With Parameters", select the title that you just added, and create a new copy.

If you want to leave the fortress technically intact, and go settle somewhere else on the same map, you enter the game, hit ESC and choose Abandon Fortress. The world will be saved off onto the hard drive, and you can re-embark on it. You can't resettle on the old fortress site, but you can "reclaim" it; the wiki discusses that here.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Phalangie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: September 22, 2010, 02:30:56 pm »

No way other than blocking it off, that I know of.

How am I supposed to block off the water? My dwarves won't build anything there, I can't dig to it, and if I channel the water will just fill the channel...
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 1178