Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120492 times)

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2355 on: August 05, 2010, 03:21:18 pm »

If I have a squad with ranged units and melee units, will they train on thier type of style?
Lets say I make an Archer range and a barrack for them to train in. Do the squad split up?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: August 05, 2010, 03:36:18 pm »

Which side does the mechanism need to be on for a screw pump to work?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2357 on: August 05, 2010, 03:41:18 pm »

Which side does the mechanism need to be on for a screw pump to work?

I'm pretty sure it just has to be touching A side.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 05, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »

The light or dark green square?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 05, 2010, 03:51:51 pm »

Back to Hunter and bolts

By default hunters carry 100 bolts. I named someone hunter, but he is not retrieving any. But I have no quiver, is it mandatory in DF2010 to have quiver to carry bolts?

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: August 05, 2010, 03:53:09 pm »

Is there a way to disable the "Warm stone location" message? Kinda annoying when you dig out for Magma smelters. Have to unpause and re design where they should dig.

Is there a way to make the game not pause on discovering damp/warm stone? The notification is enough, and the cancellation of the job is good, but the pausing is infuriating when I'm trying to collapse the whole river a floor.

init/announcements.txt, remove the P (pause) and R (recenter on event)
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D:P:R]

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: August 05, 2010, 05:42:39 pm »

Back to Hunter and bolts

By default hunters carry 100 bolts. I named someone hunter, but he is not retrieving any. But I have no quiver, is it mandatory in DF2010 to have quiver to carry bolts?

Pretty sure it is.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: August 05, 2010, 05:55:57 pm »

They can carry a few bolts in their off-hand, but otherwise yeah
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2363 on: August 05, 2010, 06:24:29 pm »

The light or dark green square?

Anywhere that isn't blocking the flow of water/magma. (And even that might still work; I've never tested it.)
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2364 on: August 05, 2010, 08:42:49 pm »

Pumps can be powered from any adjacent square, including the inlet and outlet sides.  Gears and axles do not block the flow of water, but the center tile of a water wheel does.  Pumps can also be powered form above or below either of the two squares.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: August 06, 2010, 02:11:45 am »

how can I thaw a frozen river?

Is water at last sold in barrels by caravans?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: August 06, 2010, 06:30:42 am »

how can I thaw a frozen river?

Is water at last sold in barrels by caravans?
Frozen water will thaw if it is touching a Warm Tile. Magma touching a tile makes it Warm. Therefore, run magma on the z-level directly below the floor of the river, and it will flow year round.

And no, water only exists on the ground and in buckets at the moment.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: August 06, 2010, 08:00:23 am »

Almost all of my cages have seeds in them from taming animals, leaving me with no empty cages to put in my traps. I have a plan to stop that from being a problem in the future, but how can I get my cages back now? I've tried designating the seeds for dumping, and they never get dumped. I've tried building the cages and using a lever to empty them, but the seeds are still in the cages when they're brought back to the stockpile. Is there something else I can try, or should I just give up and toss 'em under a bridge?
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2368 on: August 06, 2010, 10:18:06 am »

I visited abandoned fortress for first time and started to think if adventurer mode affects fort mode, just like fortress mode affects adventurer mode. If I die in the fort and reclaim it is it possible to find items that the adventurer brought there?

visiting the fort was awesome though it was just a small meant for visiting in adv. mode. When I lose REAL fort I can actually find some good loot inside it in adv. mode.

Also, how can I survive in tundra, without any watersource to use for farming? Are caverns the only way? I've heard the mud in caverns disappears when reclaiming which could be problem if i'm going to reclaim that tundra fort. I did NOT breach into the caverns, so any chance for mud being there?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:19:39 am by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: August 06, 2010, 10:45:47 am »

so my plants are rotting in the fields. What labor involves harvesting plants from my farm plots? Farming (fields) or Plant Gathering?

also: is there an easy way, through dwarf therapist or not, to enable only hauling on all dwarves until the fort is clean, and then switch back to their previous assignments?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:03:24 am by Fatty Limes »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 1178