Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117279 times)

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #825 on: May 27, 2010, 05:06:06 am »

I can't remember it again...  :-\ how do I designate a whole area of stuff to be claimed/dumped/forbidden? (so I don't have to dump every stone individually...)

designations, Set building/item proper, and either c (reclaim), f (forbid), d (dump) or D (remove dump).

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't remember it again...  :-\ how do I designate a whole area of stuff to be claimed/dumped/forbidden? (so I don't have to dump every stone individually...)

See the d-b menu
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 27, 2010, 05:36:11 am »

thanks alot!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 27, 2010, 07:52:42 am »

How do I make things out of obsidian, I made a Magma/Water obsidian factory, have Dwarfs piling obsidian into a special stockpile around a masons and craftdwarf shop but they wont use the obsidian. I cant find obsidian in the Stocks->Stone list either.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 27, 2010, 08:14:47 am »

There's a bug that prevents obsidian appearing as an economic stone. It can be worked around by removing the max edge tag from its entry in ...\Dwarf Fortress\df_31_1\raw\objects\Inorganic_stone_layer.txt. This makes it appear in the stones list, but removes its ability to be used for a sword.

However, if you change it to a usable stone, save, and change the raws back then the game will remember its setting, and obsidian will still be usable.

Remember to save and exit DF anytime you're adjusting the raws.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 27, 2010, 09:22:26 am »

Thanks, ill try it later.
Does that mean i should be able to produce swords with it normally or is the Raw fix needed to make anything out of obsidian, including swords.
Because my stonecrafter didnt make a obsidian sword with the stuff piled around his workshop, he went of to find logs and made a wooden sword  ???

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 27, 2010, 09:38:46 am »

From what I've heard, the swords are still obsidian swords, they're just called wooden swords. That said, I don't know much about them, as for playstyle reasons I only use weapons I've forged or clawed from the dead bodies of goblins, not something churned out by a dwarf best known for his endless vendor trash.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 27, 2010, 10:40:17 am »

Hey, I got a totally independent Fort and don't need to trade anymore. Traders bring laag and so on (everytime they come I've only 20 FPS left), so is there any way to keep them of without too much work? I Consider also Bug-using or cheating for this. Any help?   

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 27, 2010, 10:54:23 am »

Hi!

Hey, I got a totally independent Fort and don't need to trade anymore. Traders bring laag and so on (everytime they come I've only 20 FPS left), so is there any way to keep them of without too much work? I Consider also Bug-using or cheating for this. Any help?

I am making some assumptions here, but this is something you might want to try (provided you don't mind having no goblins, forgotten beasts, and megabeasts):

When you kill of the caravans and diplomats often enough, the civs will go to war on you and siege your fortress.
However, INVADERS:NO should prevent any siegers from visiting.
And as far as I know, you have to survive a few sieges to have things get to normal.

So, at least theoretically, that should get rid of at least the human and the elven traders permanently.

Deathworks

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 27, 2010, 12:43:45 pm »

I had not realized that there was no YES/NO init option for caravans like there is for invaders.
That's really too bad. Does anyone know whether modding the civilization raws to not have a caravan season would work mid game?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 27, 2010, 03:46:40 pm »

Thanks, ill try it later.
Does that mean i should be able to produce swords with it normally or is the Raw fix needed to make anything out of obsidian, including swords.
Because my stonecrafter didnt make a obsidian sword with the stuff piled around his workshop, he went of to find logs and made a wooden sword  ???
An obsidian sword requires a log and a rock. It will be named after the log, but have the properties of the obsidian. The bug does not affect the ability to use obsidian in weapons, but the fix will do so temporarily.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:51:42 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 27, 2010, 05:03:42 pm »

Embark question:

Since each region tile can only have one feature, and rivers (not brooks) and volcanoes are both considered features, is it impossible for rivers (not brooks) and volcanoes to occupy the same map?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 27, 2010, 11:40:20 pm »

Embark question:

Since each region tile can only have one feature, and rivers (not brooks) and volcanoes are both considered features, is it impossible for rivers (not brooks) and volcanoes to occupy the same map?

it depends on how large you make your embark size, really. in a 2x2 embark, highly unlikely. In a 4x4, odds are not too bad.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 28, 2010, 09:16:19 am »

I had not realized that there was no YES/NO init option for caravans like there is for invaders.
That's really too bad. Does anyone know whether modding the civilization raws to not have a caravan season would work mid game?

Any changes in the entity file requires a new world gen IIRC.

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 28, 2010, 11:42:28 am »

Do ballistae shots go through multiple fortifications, or will successive ones stop the bolts?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 1178