Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123356 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #660 on: May 10, 2010, 04:45:29 pm »

Im sorry if my question are weird :( Im just confused..
but now its clear :)

But is there a way to make a clean embark on the same site again..?
Abandon/reclaim won't get rid of the physical stuff you built at the site.

To do that you'll need to regenerate your world completely.

I can't help you find the numbers you need, but I can tell you what to do with them when you find them. Go to "design a new world with parameters." Then hit e to "enter advanced parameters," and type your seed numbers in.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 10, 2010, 04:51:15 pm »

Abandon/reclaim won't get rid of the physical stuff you built at the site.

To do that you'll need to regenerate your world completely.
Exporting layer images of your site will also output a textfile of the worldgen parameters, I think.

I usually make a .zip file of the whole region folder when I find a region I like.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 10, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »

Abandon your fort, open legends mode in the world you want, export the world info, open the text file in your DF directory containing the world seed and create a custom world using that seed. Presto, you've got your world back.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 10, 2010, 06:28:43 pm »

Blackmane, are you using Play now! or selecting the other options? The play now stuff doesn't let you choose skills, near as I can tell. They also drop you into the world naked, which doesn't help things terribly much.

If you've got a world that's been depopulated (20 non-mountain caves on a 'smaller' sized map, ahahahaha), though, play now may be the only option.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

retheldirood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 10, 2010, 11:57:50 pm »

You know, I may just be dense.  I want to build a millstone, with a windmill above it.  I have confirmed that my map has wind.  I have read on the wiki that windmills transfer power through floor.  So, I built a windmill, dug out a space below it, and put a millstone beneath it.  And, perhaps not surprisingly, nothing has happened.  I feel I missed something, but I don't understand what yet.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 11, 2010, 02:41:39 am »

(Wiki is empty, so asking here)

Is noise from workshops implemented in 2010? I'm trying to work out how far up/down I need my living quarters...

Also: what's the safe tile distance for dwarf bedrooms to be undisturbed by noise now in 2010?
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 11, 2010, 03:05:48 am »

Actually, I don't think it's changed. Dunno about before .03, but I've definitely had dwarves that 'slept uneasily due to noise', or whatever that is, and I usually don't give a flip how far away I build the bedrooms; the royal/grand quality I get with the 10x glass disc weapon traps I stick in a corner totally offsets the disturbance, generally.

Other folks have been saying the effect's been removed for 2010, I think, so I'unno. Haven't systematically tested it.

Easy way to go about testing it would be make a no eat, no drink dwarf caste and a second one with all that and no sleep/exert, then have the second group man workshops 24/7 (maybe just make a dummy reaction that doesn't do anything) while the first group loiters around waiting to sleep. Something like that, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 11, 2010, 03:24:38 am »

(Wiki is empty, so asking here)

Is noise from workshops implemented in 2010? I'm trying to work out how far up/down I need my living quarters...

Also: what's the safe tile distance for dwarf bedrooms to be undisturbed by noise now in 2010?

The thought is certainly there, from workshops & mining
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 11, 2010, 05:39:33 am »

This still needs answering if it has changed.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 11, 2010, 06:40:03 am »

You know, I may just be dense.  I want to build a millstone, with a windmill above it.  I have confirmed that my map has wind.  I have read on the wiki that windmills transfer power through floor.  So, I built a windmill, dug out a space below it, and put a millstone beneath it.  And, perhaps not surprisingly, nothing has happened.  I feel I missed something, but I don't understand what yet.

I never tried to have it transmit power through floors but that info is from the 40d article, so I'd try and channel a hole in the center tile, in case it changed. You can build the mill on the hole if there is machinery below (axle, gear, or millstone). Also, if you're building indoors windmills they used to require at least a hole directly above the center tile towards the open sky, don't know if that still works either. HTH.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 11, 2010, 07:19:02 am »

Your problem is in the order you did things; you have to channel the area out underneath FIRST, as digging designations will not remove floor tiles from under existing buildings and trees. As such, you currently have a floor blocking power transfer. Deconstruct, channel and rebuild and it should work.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 11, 2010, 07:56:58 am »

I've read dwarf wiki but still cannot understand this... How do I just create 1 military squad and tell them to train their military skills (when not doing their civillian duties for example)?

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 11, 2010, 08:03:14 am »

Your problem is in the order you did things; you have to channel the area out underneath FIRST, as digging designations will not remove floor tiles from under existing buildings and trees. As such, you currently have a floor blocking power transfer. Deconstruct, channel and rebuild and it should work.

The way I understood his post, he didn't channel at all but just dug out a room one level below the windmill. According to the 40d windmill article on the wiki it should work without an open space, although I never tried it back then.

I've read dwarf wiki but still cannot understand this... How do I just create 1 military squad and tell them to train their military skills (when not doing their civillian duties for example)?

Unfortunately, that's not a little question. :-\ There's whole threads about that, I suggest you use the search function.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 11, 2010, 08:17:08 am »

Unfortunately, that's not a little question. :-\ There's whole threads about that, I suggest you use the search function.

Well I tried to. But all this alerts, equipments, schedules.. god... At this moment I just want one squad with an axeman and 2 ranged dwarves and make them to train, that's all. Everything else about military I will probably understand later

retheldirood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 11, 2010, 11:31:45 am »

I never tried to have it transmit power through floors but that info is from the 40d article, so I'd try and channel a hole in the center tile, in case it changed. You can build the mill on the hole if there is machinery below (axle, gear, or millstone). Also, if you're building indoors windmills they used to require at least a hole directly above the center tile towards the open sky, don't know if that still works either. HTH.

That did the trick, thanks.

One more... As I understand it, siege weapons (catapults, ballistae) can fire through fortifications, but not over a channeled area; a missile that passes over an Open Space tile will fall flat to the z-level below it.  This seems... inordinately silly to me, because it means that a) you can't put a catapult on top of your walls to attack approaching foes below, and b) you can't place any kind of defensive moat in front of a fortification built for a siege weapon, (to, for example, prevent enemy archers walking up and shooting my siege operator in the head while he reloads) because the shot will not pass the moat.

I have not yet built any such scenarios on my current map, for fear of wasting time, but can anyone confirm if this is the case?
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 1178