Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116159 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9690 on: March 14, 2011, 08:12:55 pm »

Do dwarves normally take forgotten beast corpses to a refuse stockpile?  Mine aren't doing it.  I only got a dwarf to butcher one by building the stockpile on the corpse on the floor.

I don't know where this rumor is coming from.  Let me be completely clear: corpses do NOT need to be in a stockpile to be butchered.  They just need to be close enough (X- and Y-axis are all that matter) to a butcher's shop.

If there is a dead butcherable corpse on the ground somewhere, you can build a butcher's shop next to it, and it'll get butchered.  Or you can dump it to a garbage zone near an existing butcher's shop, un-forbid it, and it'll get butchered.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9691 on: March 14, 2011, 08:47:34 pm »

Is a Dungeon Master required to train War Tiger/Cheetah/Jaguars? I recieved several tame animals that I was pretty sure could be trained for war, but the Animal Trainer keeps ignoring them (Cancels Train War Animal" No Creature). Second question, is there any purpose to the barrels of blood that are brought by merchants? Can I remove the blood from the barrel?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: March 14, 2011, 09:06:27 pm »

Do dwarves normally take forgotten beast corpses to a refuse stockpile?  Mine aren't doing it.  I only got a dwarf to butcher one by building the stockpile on the corpse on the floor.

I don't know where this rumor is coming from.  Let me be completely clear: corpses do NOT need to be in a stockpile to be butchered.  They just need to be close enough (X- and Y-axis are all that matter) to a butcher's shop.

If there is a dead butcherable corpse on the ground somewhere, you can build a butcher's shop next to it, and it'll get butchered.  Or you can dump it to a garbage zone near an existing butcher's shop, un-forbid it, and it'll get butchered.

It was quite a long distance from the shop.  I'd rather the butcher carry the corpse all the way up the fort rather than butcher it on site and then have to haul all the meat and skin around.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: March 14, 2011, 10:02:03 pm »

Then dump the corpse next to the workshop.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: March 15, 2011, 12:26:42 am »

How do I examine a statue once it is built?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: March 15, 2011, 12:29:14 am »

How feasible is it to pasture animals by sealing them into a closed space? After seeing how they moved quickly around large meeting areas of their own free will, I wondered if that would be less problematic than pastures. I was thinking of something like the following:

Code: [Select]
(enclosed space here) | (small pasture, lever, butcher's shop?) X (rest of fortress)

| = raising bridge
X = floodgate
You leave the animals in the enclosed space until it's time to butcher them.
Then you pull the lever and move the animals you want butchering into the middle of the airlock. Could be done by butchering them straight away if there are few enough animals, or the animals to be slaughtered could be moved to the small pasture.
Pull the lever again to seal off the enclosed space and reconnect the airlock area to the rest of the fortress.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: March 15, 2011, 12:39:59 am »

How do I examine a statue once it is built?

q.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #9697 on: March 15, 2011, 01:27:05 am »

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: March 15, 2011, 02:55:30 am »

Q: How do I get rid of leftover water in buckets?
For some reason, my dwarfs are trying to drown each other in their sleep (I can only asume it's for that reason, since none of my dwarfs are bedridden and my booze stockpiles are bursting.), but then the job is canceled because the victim caught attention. Resulting in a few dozen units of "stagnant water" (along with one unit of lye) blocking my buckets.

Any ideas?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: March 15, 2011, 04:28:34 am »

I want to expand my dwarven industry a little bit and decided to put my 2 milkers to use. However the only subteranean creatures I've read being milkable are purring maggots.
I checked the wiki on them but I can't find any information about their whereabouts. Would I be able to find them somewhere in the caverns? I really want dwarven cheese. :)
Shame you can't milk rats, I've got a giant rat in my stockpile waiting for some kind of use.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9700 on: March 15, 2011, 05:00:11 am »

@Jelle: I have never seen any purring maggots myself, but I believe they live(d) near chasms. Since, according to the wiki, chasms no longer exist in this version, there may be no purring maggots for you to milk.   

Your best bet for milkable creatures are goats and sheep. You can embark with them or order them from the liaison. Mind that you need grass (or cavern growth like fungus and moss) for them to graze on. Since grass only grows on the surface, you might want to dig a large area (22 x 22 seems to work for at least 20 goats) into soil (Not stone! As of now, fungus and moss will NOT grow on muddied stone. Well, at least in my experience ;) ).

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9701 on: March 15, 2011, 05:59:25 am »

I read somewhere that dwarfs only use bone and wood bolts for training which explains their lack of bolts as they dont train atm, only guarding. So I'm trying to scour up some emtal bolts instead, so far I dont have any but I want my dwarfs to be able to pick them up when they can. My problem is that my dwarfs are trying to dual wield crossbows nad ahve one in each hand. How do I remove one? Could this come from that I added crossbow to their equipment list even thou they allready where assigned as marksdward which results in dualwielding?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9702 on: March 15, 2011, 06:19:07 am »

Maybe you have assigned two crossbows ?

I've never seen dwarves dual wield crossbows in the last versions.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: March 15, 2011, 07:35:35 am »

I read somewhere that dwarfs only use bone and wood bolts for training

Oh, don't we wish.  That's something that Toady has allegedly fixed for the upcoming version, but as of right now, the C and T designations on bolts are completely ignored.  They'll happily fire their best steel bolts at the archery range and then meet a siege with no-quality wooden bolts.

So, I don't bother making archery ranges.  They'll train in the barracks and the danger room, and on live targets.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9704 on: March 15, 2011, 07:50:33 am »

I read somewhere that dwarfs only use bone and wood bolts for training

Oh, don't we wish.  That's something that Toady has allegedly fixed for the upcoming version, but as of right now, the C and T designations on bolts are completely ignored.  They'll happily fire their best steel bolts at the archery range and then meet a siege with no-quality wooden bolts.

So, I don't bother making archery ranges.  They'll train in the barracks and the danger room, and on live targets.

Maybe forbid all metal bolts in times of peace ?
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 1178