Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115654 times)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8475 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:50 pm »

once they gain skill in swimming they can't drown unless there is a ceiling above them, iirc.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8476 on: February 09, 2011, 11:43:10 pm »

do note that in case of dwarves, they still wont path through tiles with 4/7 or higher even with swimming.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8477 on: February 10, 2011, 12:18:29 am »

I dug out a one tile wide tunnel one z level below the surface. Later on, I decided that  I had to remove the floor directly above the tunnel. I tried channeling but it won't let me channel and remove the floor. How can I channel the area when the "wall" below the tunnel I want to channel is already mined out?
You should be able to channel it normally, unless it's a constructed floor.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8478 on: February 10, 2011, 12:36:24 am »

I see people reference "dumping trash in pits" and "dumping in lava" on a regular basis... but I can't seem to figure out how it's done. When I try to designate a non-flat-floor space as a dump zone, it says 0 tiles have been designated. How does one go about this?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8479 on: February 10, 2011, 12:40:13 am »

I see people reference "dumping trash in pits" and "dumping in lava" on a regular basis... but I can't seem to figure out how it's done. When I try to designate a non-flat-floor space as a dump zone, it says 0 tiles have been designated. How does one go about this?
if you designate the tile adjacent to open space as garbage zone, they'd dump things into the the "pit" instead.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8480 on: February 10, 2011, 01:12:26 am »

YUP,need a spot to stand on beside the hole too.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: February 10, 2011, 02:06:30 am »

So they won't set junk down on the space of open floor? Nifty.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: February 10, 2011, 02:28:32 am »

I just rolled the new fortress of Irondrinks along a brook in the mountains, 4x4 map. The game began with 10 FPS (usually I start with 300) and slowly climbed to the 90s. Then, another FPS spike, and a dead magma crab on the unit list.

What do you think?

Water pouring into the the magma sea?

Or did the olm men just bomb Lavasake?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:31:20 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8483 on: February 10, 2011, 05:58:50 am »

Say I equip my military with full steel, but shortly afterwards my armorsmith / weaponsmith becomes legendary.

If I make more full steel, will my military swap their current ones for the higher quality ones?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8484 on: February 10, 2011, 06:23:07 am »

If I make more full steel, will my military swap their current ones for the higher quality ones?
Yes, unless they are attached to it. Also do note that this tend to cause chain reactions where the first guy grab his masterwork and the 2nd guy go grab the 1st guy's exceptional and so on.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8485 on: February 10, 2011, 07:13:26 am »

Yes, unless they are attached to it. Also do note that this tend to cause chain reactions where the first guy grab his masterwork and the 2nd guy go grab the 1st guy's exceptional and so on.

I see. And what happens if they DO become attached to their current gear? What should I do then?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8486 on: February 10, 2011, 07:21:16 am »

(v)iew the offender and (d)ump the items from his (i)nventory. You might have to reclaim (f) them first.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: February 10, 2011, 07:22:08 am »

I see. And what happens if they DO become attached to their current gear? What should I do then?
atomsmash

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8488 on: February 10, 2011, 07:46:31 am »

So, I want to construct a moat full of war carps. (Why? That's not a proper question. You're looking for "why not".) I know there's one method for catching them (cage traps in the river, or the floodgate stuff...thingy), but are there any others?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8489 on: February 10, 2011, 08:37:24 am »

If you want to tame and train them, you need them in cages.  To get them in cages, you need them to swim over cage traps.  You pretty much need them to swim through them of their own volition, so this means a channel or room full of cage traps that you can flood and connect to the river, wait for carp to swim into and get captured, then isolate and pump dry.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 1178