Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 [1164] 1165 1166 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122675 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17445 on: February 10, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »

Is it possible for a siege to just ... leave you alone?

So far I have a moat around my new fortress, (I still have to find stone passed this aquifier to get mechanisms for the drawbridge), and I was wondering if it was possible to just .... lock yourself away from all of them and wait the seige out until they get bored. This would save me some time ... BIG time...
You can just wall off the entrance to your fort. Nothing can break down walls.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17446 on: February 10, 2012, 11:51:20 pm »

Note, however, that there are consequences for walling your fort off: no caravans or migrants during a siege.

So if you're dependent on wood shipments or need something that you ordered from the homeland, it may be preferable to fight off the siege rather than wait it out. If your military is up to the task.

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17447 on: February 10, 2012, 11:54:55 pm »

If I DO wall myself off, will the siege eventually go away? Or am I forced to stay inside until I have a suitable force?

My dwarf legion is communist, but in order to live it needs the wood industry that happens to surround its entrance. I don't rely on any trading.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17448 on: February 11, 2012, 12:01:36 am »

DF sieges are fairly realistic, in that they think they're going to wait there until you're worn down or you/they are dead.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17449 on: February 11, 2012, 12:23:47 am »

DF sieges are fairly realistic, in that they think they're going to wait there until you're worn down or you/they are dead.
No, they'll leave eventually.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17450 on: February 11, 2012, 01:55:06 am »

They'll typically stay about a year season. They will leave if another siege from their civilisation arrives.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17451 on: February 11, 2012, 03:36:24 am »

damn why can't I train him :sadface:

Pet exotic tag in the raws, needs dungeon master. No dungeon master, no pet rocs, or dragons. Currently, there is no dungeon master ever.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17452 on: February 11, 2012, 04:55:52 am »

In the interest of my Dwarven paranoia (or crazy preparedness?):
Is there anything that can break through a raised drawbridge that has an empty space in front of it (i.e. the squares adjectant to the raised bridge are channeled down and ramps removed)?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17453 on: February 11, 2012, 05:25:06 am »

I've never had a raised drawbridge destroyed, by anything, except magma
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17454 on: February 11, 2012, 07:11:12 am »

Pet exotic tag in the raws, needs dungeon master. No dungeon master, no pet rocs, or dragons. Currently, there is no dungeon master ever.
So removing the exotic flag only let me tame him? There's no way to train him/have him as a pet until that feature is back?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17455 on: February 11, 2012, 07:19:03 am »

So removing the exotic flag only let me tame him? There's no way to train him/have him as a pet until that feature is back?
No way to tame exotic pets if manually captured. Only by trading-breeding or editing the raws and removing the [PET_EXOTIC] tag.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17456 on: February 11, 2012, 07:22:40 am »

No way to tame exotic pets if manually captured. Only by trading-breeding or editing the raws and removing the [PET_EXOTIC] tag.
Yes I know, I removed the tag and he's now tame, chilling out in my dining room :P But I can't train him into a war animal or hunter, which the wiki says you can.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17457 on: February 11, 2012, 07:39:11 am »

Check the raw if he has the flag trainable. Next, make sure the animal is pastured within the reach of a kennel (kennel in pasture), or simply not pastured.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17458 on: February 11, 2012, 08:16:49 am »

Yes I know, I removed the tag and he's now tame, chilling out in my dining room :P But I can't train him into a war animal or hunter, which the wiki says you can.

There's a tag to add: [TRAINABLE]
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17459 on: February 11, 2012, 08:19:20 am »

Ya he was trainable. Nice it worked! I pastured him onto the kennel. Weird, it didn't work when he was unpastured and chilling in my dining room.

Anyways! How strong is he? Can he kill 10 goblins camping outside my fortress? :P
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 [1164] 1165 1166 ... 1178