Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1138 1139 [1140] 1141 1142 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123156 times)

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17085 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:18 pm »

How long do alligator eggs take to hatch?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17086 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:57 pm »

The wall? Well, you're stuck with that, unless you want to tear it down ;P

As for the well, it's from your Dwarves cleaning the blood off of them, put a meeting zone over the blood you want cleaned, it helps the Dwarves decide that leaving pools of blood everywhere is not always a good idea.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17087 on: January 30, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »

Thanks, worked perfectly. Wall got turned into coal :P

It doesn't matter this game as I have iron, but I heard goblins drop stuff I can smelt into it? Is that only later? I've just got copper/tin/silver type stuff and a bunch of cloth.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17088 on: January 30, 2012, 07:14:09 pm »

Thanks, worked perfectly. Wall got turned into coal :P

It doesn't matter this game as I have iron, but I heard goblins drop stuff I can smelt into it? Is that only later? I've just got copper/tin/silver type stuff and a bunch of cloth.

Well, anything made of metal can be smelted - which includes the copper/tin/silver stuff. If you examine the item in question you can tell it to be smelted (I forget which key, though) and if you then queue up a "Smelt metal object" order at a smelter it'll be melted down.

You don't get a 100% return rate on your metal, though.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17089 on: January 30, 2012, 07:18:57 pm »

Ya I mean, do they ever drop iron or steel equipment? I'm wondering how hard it would be to survive an embark with 0 iron basically, by feeding off them :p

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17090 on: January 30, 2012, 07:23:58 pm »

If you have a male alligator on the map when they are laid, and the eggs never leave the nest box, and the mother stays on the nest box during the entire gestation, then the eggs will probably hatch in under a year.  Otherwise, never.

Ya I mean, do they ever drop iron or steel equipment? I'm wondering how hard it would be to survive an embark with 0 iron basically, by feeding off them :p

Goblins may bring iron, if they have access to it.  They will never bring steel, only Dwarves know how to make steel.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17091 on: January 30, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »

If you have a male alligator on the map when they are laid, and the eggs never leave the nest box, and the mother stays on the nest box during the entire gestation, then the eggs will probably hatch in under a year.  Otherwise, never.

And even that only happens if there are no more than 50 alligators on the map.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17092 on: January 30, 2012, 08:31:58 pm »

Can ballistae shoot through fortifications?
*insert witty signature here*

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17093 on: January 30, 2012, 09:11:16 pm »

Yep.  Missile weapons of any kind can pass through fortifications.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #17094 on: January 30, 2012, 09:40:50 pm »

will damp stone made by murky pools and stuff make a neverending flow?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17095 on: January 30, 2012, 10:00:13 pm »

No, only aquifer stone tiles generate water forever.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #17096 on: January 30, 2012, 10:20:01 pm »

thanks. now my fortress can start expanding again.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Zaphod728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17097 on: January 30, 2012, 11:30:53 pm »

So collapses seem to be a little extreme. I had 2 dwarves on the same level as a floor falling that magically fell even though they weren't on the collapsing segments. It was just 2 blocks, and another dwarf broke like 6 bones, without falling, and when he was on the same level. They were all in a completely safe spot, on solid ground.

It was unintentional, but wtf, is it possible to do any collapsing without killing everything. (besides hooking a support up to a lever).

Also do i need to worry about my dwarves going into rivers and killing themselves trying to retrieve bodies.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17098 on: January 31, 2012, 12:08:01 am »

So collapses seem to be a little extreme. I had 2 dwarves on the same level as a floor falling that magically fell even though they weren't on the collapsing segments. It was just 2 blocks, and another dwarf broke like 6 bones, without falling, and when he was on the same level. They were all in a completely safe spot, on solid ground.

It was unintentional, but wtf, is it possible to do any collapsing without killing everything. (besides hooking a support up to a lever).

Also do i need to worry about my dwarves going into rivers and killing themselves trying to retrieve bodies.

1) Collapses are difficult to do right. The support-and-lever method is best, but close behind is triggering it from the top (and back a bit)

2) Nope. In the
  • menu (I think, same place as where you control which dwarves harvest and so on) you can set all items dropped outside to be automatically forbidden. I'm pretty sure that either that covers dead bodies outside OR there's also an auto-corpse-retrieval toggle as well.

Otherwise, you can just forbid the corpse and nobody will go after it. Just make sure to create a memorial slab and carve it with the unlucky dwarf's name.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17099 on: January 31, 2012, 03:02:12 am »

unless the body is on a ramp, they won't jump in to get it

in a collapse, the people at the top, and also a bit lower, that are around the area may be caught by the dust storm a collapse causes and either get smashed in the wall or drawn into the collapse
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1138 1139 [1140] 1141 1142 ... 1178