Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123197 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #17055 on: January 30, 2012, 10:52:01 am »

Aye I found it. It seems Turkeys last as "poults" for one year, then become "hen/gobbler". Problem is, they're only full grown after 2 years. I need to know how to tell whether they're 1-2years old, or 2+. If I kill them right after they become a hen/gobbler I get like 2 meat and 1 skull. Full grown they're supposed to give ~9 meat, 6 bones.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17056 on: January 30, 2012, 10:58:31 am »

Aye I found it. It seems Turkeys last as "poults" for one year, then become "hen/gobbler". Problem is, they're only full grown after 2 years. I need to know how to tell whether they're 1-2years old, or 2+. If I kill them right after they become a hen/gobbler I get like 2 meat and 1 skull. Full grown they're supposed to give ~9 meat, 6 bones.

I solved this by having multiple cages, and cycling out my hens after a year of egg-laying.  Over the course of a year I'd stuff every poult to hatch into a cage.  At the end of the year the cage would be set aside and a new cage built for the next year's poults.  Each cage would be let to sit until all the poults became turkeys.  At that point I'd butcher the old laying-hens and toms, and then take the newly adult hens and toms and pasture them in the breeding area.  It became an annual event at the fortress, the grand turkey-slaughter and annual poultsplosion.

I later tore the entire system down and killed all the turkeys after my fortress was drowning in turkey and egg roasts.  It worked a bit too well, I think I've got a few centuries worth of food stored up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17057 on: January 30, 2012, 11:24:29 am »

Exactly the plan :D

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Getting food is too easy really, having a large variety should be way more important.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17058 on: January 30, 2012, 11:45:56 am »

Hm wait, problem: How do I make sure I only kill the turkeys in cage X? The only ways I know how to slaughter stuff is via the Units screen and the z-animals screen, but neither of those tell me where something is caged, or if it even is.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17059 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »

(v)iew, (p)references, (s)laughter
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17060 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:44 pm »

Yeah, that's hard to do.  I release the turkeys from the cage, then manually select them for butchering.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17061 on: January 30, 2012, 12:16:29 pm »

I accidentally dumped my goblinified cage, then unforbid it. So it's now just sitting in a stockpile and the lever linking thing doesn't work. How do I release him so I can kill him? :(

Guess one turkey at a time isn't toooo bad...only every year..

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17062 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17:52 pm »

Build the cage.  When selecting which cage to build, expand the list and select the cage marked 'goblin cage'.  Once it's built you can link a lever to it and release him.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17063 on: January 30, 2012, 12:21:22 pm »

expand the list by pressing x

if I have a mounted goblin dodge off a bridge, 15 levels down, will they die? there was something about not dieing if they landed on someone, so, just to make sure. What if they hit a statue? gonna put a statue garden there
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17064 on: January 30, 2012, 12:21:56 pm »

Ah yes being able to select the material :D Only just learned that so didn't think of it.

Hopefully I get attacked soon. 90 dwarfs, 888k wealth and waitingggg.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17065 on: January 30, 2012, 12:50:57 pm »

I got a minotaur instead of goblins. Am I dead? If not what's my best defence?

And a random question, what are those C and S letters on the left side of the screen, in the border?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:56:46 pm by Yaotzin »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17066 on: January 30, 2012, 12:57:53 pm »

I got a minotaur instead of goblins. Am I dead? If not what's my best defence?
Minotaurs are tough but beatable, as they are made of meat and can die of blood loss. If you have a decent (5-10 dwarves in metal with weapons and >novice skills) military you should be alright.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17067 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:11 pm »

C was for important announcements I think, S is for sparring

anyone who can answer my falling rider question?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17068 on: January 30, 2012, 01:03:12 pm »

I think I'm winning but he keeps killing random dwarves who run around outside. He's crazy fast so they can't get away :( How can I order all my dwarves to sit their useless butts inside my fortress while my military fights?

I see to be hurting his arms and legs only. Hopefully that stops him hurting me!

Hm nope I'm dead unless he bleeds out or something. 1 competent fighter and a few novices is bad it seems :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:08:42 pm by Yaotzin »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17069 on: January 30, 2012, 01:16:14 pm »

they fall to normal cage or weapon traps. It's a megabeast, not a titan
Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 ... 1178