Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120132 times)

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10905 on: April 21, 2011, 03:17:46 pm »

Question about water pressure. Diagonals eliminate pressure but how much. If I have 100 z tall containment of water and put a channeled out path on the bottom floor do I only need 1 diagonal connection to eliminate the pressure or is it 1 diagonal = 1 z-level of pressure?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10906 on: April 21, 2011, 03:19:03 pm »

1 diagonal removes all pressure
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10907 on: April 21, 2011, 03:30:08 pm »

A quick question, is there a way to print out (notepadify) a transcript of a fortress? Announcements are nice, but I would like to have the history of every dwarf (what wounds, battles, etc) as well as births, marriages, deaths, artifacts made, etc.
The gamelog contains every announcement ever made for a particular DF.exe. That includes sparring, other fortresses, and things you did in arena mode. The lines are not dated, unfortunately, which means either counting the seasons or matching announcements to events you know happened at a certain time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10908 on: April 21, 2011, 03:48:25 pm »

How do I enable auto saving? I've read it's meant to be in the .init, but I don't see it.

Thanks!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10909 on: April 21, 2011, 03:54:35 pm »

He might want two or three of one of the items on the list.

Hmmm, I seem to have a lot of everything he wants. I'll probably just wall him in and be done with it. Thanks!

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10910 on: April 21, 2011, 04:14:20 pm »

Does distance from an archery target affect the skill up of the dwarves using it? Farther = faster skill ups?

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10911 on: April 21, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »

what do earrings do, one of my people had a mood and created Kokebsanad limonite earring?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10912 on: April 21, 2011, 04:38:06 pm »

what do earrings do, one of my people had a mood and created Kokebsanad limonite earring?

They're just a plain trade good. Or, in Adventure Mode, you can wear it (or also sell it). Though since you got that earing through a mood, it should sell for a nice bit.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10913 on: April 21, 2011, 04:46:12 pm »

They're just a plain trade good. Or, in Adventure Mode, you can wear it (or also sell it). Though since you got that earing through a mood, it should sell for a nice bit.
It is impossible to sell artifact.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10914 on: April 21, 2011, 05:11:14 pm »

Does distance from an archery target affect the skill up of the dwarves using it? Farther = faster skill ups?
Distance does not effect experience gained.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10915 on: April 21, 2011, 05:15:59 pm »

How do I enable auto saving? I've read it's meant to be in the .init, but I don't see it.
Thanks!

DF/data/init/d_init, it's the first option and can be changed to seasonal or yearly. Yearly saves the game every spring.

Quote from: greenskye

I prefer a 6 tile distance with channels around the target so any misses will result in the bolt dropping to the next floor for reuse. Increasing the distance increases the radius bolts can stray when they miss, resulting in a lot of broken bolts from hitting walls when they stray. At a distance of 19 tiles you can expect broken bolts all up and down the firing range. Oh, and don't put channels between the archer and the target, then they won't shoot. Everywhere else around the target is fine.

Ninja'd X.X
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10916 on: April 21, 2011, 06:47:52 pm »

what is microline good for?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10917 on: April 21, 2011, 07:06:07 pm »

what is microline good for?

It's just a rock.

When setting up my Control Room... for all the various levers that control the functioning of my fort... I try to make each lever out of an appropriately-colored Mechanism. That way, I can tell at a glance that this RED bank of levers (made from Kaolinite Mechanisms) controls the Magma pumps, and this BLUE bank of levers (made from Microcline Mechanisms) controls the water pumps, while this BROWN bank of levers (made from Schist Mechanisms) controls my array of wooden cages containing Puppy-Bombs, etc.

Naturally, I add <N>otes as well, but the color-coding directs my attention to the proper part of the control room.

Another use for colored stone is inlaid mosaics. You can build a constructed floor directly on top of a natural floor, so you can easily turn a big open room into a picture of burning elves, or a representation of your favorite kitten sandwich, or whatever.

Workshops can also be color-coded. Masons are white, Carpenters are yellow, Craftsdwarves are blue, etc... and by using appropriate stone, you can color-code the workshops in the same pattern.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:08:35 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10918 on: April 21, 2011, 08:15:00 pm »

What exactly does a meager office entail?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10919 on: April 21, 2011, 08:17:17 pm »

What exactly does a meager office entail?

You can satisfy that requirement with a 3 x 3 room with a Door, a Chair and a Table. Optionally (for role-playing purposes) add a Cabinet and consider it a filing-cabinet.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 1178